Satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo attacked by muslim gunmen

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why is it my responsibility, as a true follower of Islam, the peaceful, respectful, tolerant religion that i was taught, to denounce those who do not follow my religion? They do not practise what i pr

Sincere condolences to our French brethren. What an absolute tragedy/disgrace. It is the responsibility of all to face and deal with the threat of home grown Islamic terrorism. Mus I respectfully d

mus, i know this was touched on the last time we had a tragedy. i agree with rob. your examples are not quite the same thing. kids are not out there shooting other kids 'in the name of kids'. ditto a

Why is it my responsibility, as a true follower of Islam, the peaceful, respectful, tolerant religion that i was taught, to denounce those who do not follow my religion? They do not practise what i practice, they do not believe in what i believe, why am i then accountable for their actions?

Do all mothers speak out about a crazy woman who murdered 8 of her kids?

Do all kids speak out about the kid who shot 21 people in a cinema?

Do all cops speak out about the cop who killed an innocent man without provocation?

Perhaps it is up to to us normal individuals to understand why things are happening, perhaps we should be asking inquisitive questions, investigating multiple sources and not just CNN, perhaps we should be investigating the religion and doing fact chekcing about what these nut jobs claim is islam, and just maybe us intelligent individuals should not be reacting with hatred or villification of an entire religion because of the 1.6 billion followers, a few hundred of them have developed a hatred for humanity and are crazy nutjobs.

Also, no matter how you want to look at it, the western world just aholds a higher value on life than the developing or third world nations that has spawned these types of attacks. Do you know here in Mali the people don't name their children until they are 5 years old. Why? because the infant mortality rate is so high! Life has less meaning for those who have been raised surrounded by war, famine and death.

It is not just your responsibility; it is all of our responsibilities. Silence, be it related to religiously inspired terrorism, the horrific conditions that most of the world suffers in, or to anti-religious rhetoric, makes these atrocities possible.

• Like 3

We have to collectively stop kidding ourselves that likewise appeasing these extremists will get us anywhere. When they commit acts of terror....stop lying! The garbage truck driver in Scotland did not have a heart attack, the Sydney terrorist and the recent individual French attacks were not 'unrelated isolated incidents done by mentally deranged people'. They were done by people advocating their actions due to ISLAM. That is the undeliable facts!

I don't know about the truck driver in Scotland, I don't know what to think about the Sydney guy, but I can assure you that no one in France takes the recent attacks as the fact of "mentally deranged people".

latest news: the police know the name of the killers and found the place where they reside. An operation is underway.

For those who can read french:

http://www.lepoint.fr/societe/attentat-a-charlie-hebdo-les-trois-suspects-auraient-ete-identifies-07-01-2015-1894787_23.php

Fos, I would be amazed if everyone was not aware that this form of terrorism (homegrown Islamic) is not only here to stay but likely to become more prevalent.

Dealing with it is not a simple task particularly for any country who has had generational Islamic immigration. It becomes more complicated when you are dealing with multiple fronts (home based and Foreign ie Syria/Iraq/Nigeria/Somalia/Indonesia etc etc etc).

No country can deal with this in isolation. It has to be dealt with in a global (multi country/multi faith) coordinated strategy which will take a generation (or more) to effect change.

It has to start with Zero Tolerance.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Boy, the conversations I could have with some of you gents about what's gone on and hasn't lately!!! Enis and I have had a good talk about a few items in the past related to these recent events.

This crap-show is only going to get worse.

And it's not due to religion of any kind.

It's solely due to a perverted few USING religion as an ends to their means. Using the grip that religion has on a region that is largely dominated by a very uneducated mass. And using them as cannon fodder.

This is the new guerilla war. And it's not for a nationalistic cause or any noble act. It's built out of hatred (of whatever) and a pure want for power, and of both of those things to be so strong that all religious belief is so perverted and distorted.

• Like 3

Deleting, locking, or hiding doesn't automatically generate notices. Neither should mods be expected to personally contact everyone who's had a rare post excision. Suspension of posting privileges generates notices.

If a post you made goes missing, then that means a member of the moderating or admin staff considered the content or tone to conflict with the FOH rules here or here.

Step away from the keyboard, take a breath, and try again...differently.

Wilkey

• Like 2

If one's posts get deleted can one at least get a notification? I haven't had any posts deleted until like the last week or so. If I broke some rule, then I'm sorry.

Should a train of conversation get out of hand then all "carriages" to the train will be removed.

There will be no direct notification/explanation as time does not allow it.

Why is it my responsibility, as a true follower of Islam, the peaceful, respectful, tolerant religion that i was taught, to denounce those who do not follow my religion? They do not practise what i practice, they do not believe in what i believe, why am i then accountable for their actions?

Mus, the essential tension in your post is well captured between the two twitter hashtags #NotInMyName and #MuslimApologies. It is not an easy position to navigate and I appreciate the moral and ethical challenge in exploring for ourselves what constitutes the right thing to do.

Wilkey

The day you will be hit because of the amalgam, you will understand why it was your responsibility as much as mine.

• Like 1

Heartfelt condolences to all involved and to their family's

Stereo-typing people by their Religion,cast, creed, colour,is not the way to go forward these EVIL people must be brought to justice,and there brethren as well

I know a few Muslims and Mus is amongst them and he is a giant amongst men,and I have no doubts what so ever that his family's the same ,and the vast majority of the Muslim community,simply put really decent human beings.

There are a great number of evil/scum bags in the Christian community as well ,the Oaklahoma bombing springs to mind .

These terrorists want us to turn against each other and our Muslim neighbours,this is their objective ......Anarchy .

Bad things happen when good people do nothing,these scum bags must be brought to heal and justice ,so the decent folks of this world Muslim,Christian ,Hindu,Buddhist and agnostics alike can live in a more peaceful and happier world

Just my two cents worth

P.S I my self am not religious but will not denigrate people who are ,I have always thought that this place F.O.H is better than this a place we can all come and leave the detritus of the world behind ,and all be better for it

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

The day you will be hit because of the amalgam, you will understand why it was your responsibility as much as mine.

Exactly. If the good Muslims of the world don't stand up against those who are murdering innocent people in the name of the prophet, some will begin to take it out against all Muslims. That has already started. For proof, look at the demonstrations that are starting to take place all over the world. It's only going to get worse unless Muslims begin to take their religion back.

Imagine.

• Like 3

Sincere condolences to our French brethren. What an absolute tragedy/disgrace.

It is the responsibility of all to face and deal with the threat of home grown Islamic terrorism.

Mus I respectfully disagree with your comment. If we are an active part of a religion then we have a responsibility to stand up and demand change and accountability. The Catholic Church and child abuse is a case in point. It is the work of many disgusted parishioners across the globe (as well as many outside the church) who demanded a lift in the veil of secrecy and a change in process.

There have been enough attacks today. Let's not attack each other here. It is the type of social upheaval that the terrorists crave. .

Would be a good idea to lock the thread down before emotions and keyboards get out of hand.

I feel for the victims and their families in France.

I abhor the threat that this is to freedom of speech. Frequently I hear of and see "artwork" that denigrates the Christian community but no one is getting murdered over it. As a Christian I am offended by it, but I cherish the freedom of speech more and will defend everyone's right to have it.

We need to face the fact that if these terror attacks, and the associated mosques and Imam's that spread this hatred, aren't addressed and corrected by the Muslim community it will be addressed by others, either civilians or governments around the world, and will be a whole lot more messy.

• Like 3

I feel for the victims and their families in France.

I abhor the threat that this is to freedom of speech. Frequently I hear of and see "artwork" that denigrates the Christian community but no one is getting murdered over it. As a Christian I am offended by it, but I cherish the freedom of speech more and will defend everyone's right to have it.

We need to face the fact that if these terror attacks, and the associated mosques and Imam's that spread this hatred, aren't addressed and corrected by the Muslim community it will be addressed by others, either civilians or governments around the world, and will be a whole lot more messy.

I second everything mentioned here. I wonder if we all collectively are reacting to these attacks because they are more commonly occuring in civilized first-world countries?