Satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo attacked by muslim gunmen

I wonder if we all collectively are reacting to these attacks because they are more commonly occuring in civilized first-world countries?

of course. the loss of any life is a tragedy and sydney was certainly that (two dead) but a day or two later, 140 children were slaughtered in peshawar. yet the coverage here and as far as i could see also in both the states and europe focused much more on sydney. and in discussions subsequently, it is mentioned much more often.

• Like 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why is it my responsibility, as a true follower of Islam, the peaceful, respectful, tolerant religion that i was taught, to denounce those who do not follow my religion? They do not practise what i pr

Sincere condolences to our French brethren. What an absolute tragedy/disgrace. It is the responsibility of all to face and deal with the threat of home grown Islamic terrorism. Mus I respectfully d

mus, i know this was touched on the last time we had a tragedy. i agree with rob. your examples are not quite the same thing. kids are not out there shooting other kids 'in the name of kids'. ditto a

I wonder if we all collectively are reacting to these attacks because they are more commonly occuring in civilized first-world countries?

I think it is partly due to the fact that they seek to take First world countries and turn them into Third.

We live in the neighbourhood they seek to claim/disrupt. We have no intention of becoming a third world caliphate.

• Like 3

I try to stay away from this sort of thing, but...

One good thing I have seen from reading the majority of posts on this thread is that most of us believe religion is not the cause.

That tells me most people have common sense. That in itself gives me hope for the good that is in most humans. I remember a store manager telling me that he worked on the premise that if ten people complained about something another hundred were thinking it, and that gave him enough cause to address the complaint.

So if I add up everyone who recognises that religion was not the problem just terrorists using it as something to hide behind and times that by ten it gives me hope that if they all said something to someone else and they told two friends and so on and so on.(remember the commercial) Then maybe just maybe we could put an end to this kind of mayhem after all.

Maybe I'm just a romantic dreamer singing about sunshine and lollipops, but if we don't do something who will? We all know what happens when we don't do anything. Just ask any member of this forum about the smoking laws where they live. That's what happens when you stay silent. You don't need to be a Muslim to speak out, just speak out and inform someone. And for crying out loud don't give in to the violence.

Just one old redneck hippy's opinion,

I'm not sure if it was in the Quran or in sunat (the transcriptions of the life of prophet Muhammad) but it was said the correct action to take against those who call you names or do not believe is to be patient in whatever they say, maintain ones consciousness of Allah and that is the best accomplishment against them.

What I am trying to say is there is a difference between Islam and what these people are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What I am trying to say is there is a difference between Islam and what these people are.

Completely understood Mus.

Yet it is they who use the faith as a foundation for terror. Wrong certainly but wrong doesn't stop them killing.

I read today a statement that resonated (forgive me but I can't immediately recall the source).

Paraphrasing " It is an honour to be the enemy of Islamic extremeists"

That should be an honour for all people who believe in freedom and human values regardless if you are Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic or Umpalumpa.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it was in the Quran or in sunat (the transcriptions of the life of prophet Muhammad) but it was said the correct action to take against those who call you names or do not believe is to be patient in whatever they say, maintain ones consciousness of Allah and that is the best accomplishment against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mus, i don't think most thinking people doubt what you say but these scum are claiming to act in the name of islam. if nothing is said by genuine muslims, it is very easy for many people to draw the unfortunate conclusion that all muslims, if not support those actions, then at the very least are not opposed to them.

the actions of these terrorists make many people very angry indeed and it is all too easy to see situations where mob mentality or a need for vengeance or whatever incite actions, however ill-conceived, and the logical target is other muslims. it is wrong but we have seen it before.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if there is in fact just 2 groups of Muslims. The "real" Muslims who are by all accounts peaceful, decent people, and the radical psychopaths?

Or is there also a portion who fall into a grey area somewhere in between who while they don't condone these terrorist acts they somehow take some satisfaction in them?

The world is never black or white. The grey is every present.

That pertains to almost anything I can think of, politics, religion, business, family etal

• Like 1

I second everything mentioned here. I wonder if we all collectively are reacting to these attacks because they are more commonly occuring in civilized first-world countries?

Absolutely! There is far more people dying in Africa from poverty and simple diseases like Malaria. Or in the middle east from internal and external conflicts.

I think the problem stems from all the wars. In all my travels no matter where I go, the only thing that everyone I meet seems to want is a better life for their children. Through thousands of years the middle east has gone through conflict after conflict. More conflict is clearly not the solution, but hope is.

Instead of going to war and attacking, perhaps the better approach is to establish secure education for all, secure medical facilities, give them the hope and the future that they are so desperately looking for. At the moment all the middle eastern people are seeing is you either die from the Taliban, or you die from the bombs the western world drops on you. When you kill a terrorist, others rise up from his death. If you rebuild schools and hospitals and roads however, and then the Taliban try and take that away, the people have no reason to hate you but they will focus their hatred on the taliban. And they will deal with the people who spread hatred by themselves.

• Like 3