Official World Cup Thread

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing about Brazil 2014 so far? No vuvuzelas!

As a Liverpool fan, I'm disgusted. No supporting that. He's crazy and needs help.

There were English bookmakers having odds on Suarez biting someone in the WC......Italians didnt deserve to advance, looking forward to them regrouping for 2018, still sucks though.... :(

Now that's funny!! Why do some of the most talented soccer players in the world have to be such dummies, Suarez is so gifted as a soccer player n just an idiot on the field! I think he should be banned for an entire year from club and country no excuses. This is the 3rd time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luis Suarez 'bite': Uruguay striker in World Cup controversy

_75807408_451157044.jpg

Uruguay's Luis Suarez has been accused of biting a player for the third time in his career after an incident with Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup.
The Liverpool striker lunged at Italy defender Chiellini shortly before Diego Godin scored to give Uruguay a 2-1 win.
Chiellini pulled his shirt down to show the referee a mark on his shoulder but no action was taken by the official.
The maximum ban Suarez could face if governing body Fifa takes retrospective action is 24 matches or two years.
_75809212_57129471-09ca-472d-8b4c-51ccea
Chiellini pulled down his shirt to display what appear to be bite marks on his shoulder
Godin's winner means four-time champions Italy finish third in Group D at the 2014 Fifa World Cup and exit before the knockout stages for the second finals in a row.
"Suarez is a sneak," said Chiellini. "I'd love to see if Fifa has the courage to use video evidence against him.
"The referee saw the bite mark too, but he did nothing about it."
Suarez, who committed a handball on the line to stop Ghana from scoring at the 2010 World Cup, told Uruguayan television: "These are just things that happen out on the pitch. It was just the two of us inside the area and he bumped into me with his shoulder.
"There are things that happen on the pitch and you should not make such a big deal out of them."
After the clash between the players Suarez went to ground holding his mouth, apparently suggesting he had been elbowed.
As Chiellini, 29, ran after referee Marco Rodriguez, Uruguay forward Gaston Ramirez attempted to get the Juventus defender to cover his shoulder.
_75807518_suarez.png
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez declined to comment before seeing the video images
_75807901_0b1fa2e4-1d84-4301-9ce4-793955
Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce said Suarez has 'left himself open to severe criticism'
_75807903_be61e812-67a8-440f-a9ed-2039b4
Italy manager Cesare Prandelli said he saw clear bite marks on Chiellini's shoulder
Fifa will wait to receive the referee's report before deciding whether to investigate, with a spokeswoman telling BBC Sport: "We will gather all the necessary elements in order to evaluate the matter."
The disciplinary committee of world football's governing body has the authority to "sanction serious infringements which have escaped the match officials' attention".
The longest ban in World Cup history is eight games for Italy's Mauro Tassotti for breaking Spain's Luis Enrique's nose in 1994 with an elbow, while Zinedine Zidane was given a three-match ban for headbutting Marco Materazzi in the 2006 final.
Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce said: "There is no doubt Luis Suarez is a fantastic footballer but, once again, his actions have left him open to severe criticism.
"Fifa must investigate the incident seriously and take whatever disciplinary action is deemed necessary."
Michel D'Hooghe, a senior member of Fifa's ruling executive committee and the chairman of the world governing body's medical commission, said Suarez should face a disciplinary commission hearing.
"I think that biting is not compatible with normal football practice," he told BBC Sport.
"This is really a serious case for our disciplinary commission."
Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez tried to play down the incident and said there was a vendetta from certain parts of the media towards Suarez.
"I'd like to see the images first before making any comment. If it happened, then the referee probably didn't see it," said Tabarez.
"Despite mistakes Suarez has made, he is the target of certain media, a certain press."
Uruguay captain Diego Lugano also defended Suarez, whose two goals in the tournament so far came in the victory over England, and criticised the actions of Chiellini.
"What did you see? You saw this, really? You need to show me because I didn't see anything," said Lugano.
"Did you see it today or did you see what happened in other years? You couldn't have seen it today because nothing happened.
"The worst of everything is the attitude of Chiellini."
Italy manager Cesare Prandelli, who announced his resignation after Italy's exit, said: "I didn't see the images of Suarez but I did see the bite marks in Chiellini's shoulder."
Liverpool's Suarez was banned for 10 games for biting Branislav Ivanovic in a Premier League match in April 2013.
He was also banned for seven games for biting PSV Eindhoven midfielder Otman Bakkal's shoulder while Ajax captain in 2010.
_75806644_0ddd1502-a68d-4d77-b3e1-e993a7
The forward courted controversy at the World Cup four years ago when he used his hand to block Dominic Adiyiah's goal-bound shot in the 120th minute.
Suarez was sent off, while Ghana missed the subsequent penalty and went on to lose the quarter-final in a penalty shootout.
BBC Sport pundit and former England international Alan Shearer believes Suarez should be severely punished for the Chiellini incident if found guilty.
"I could not believe it," he said. "The pictures are pretty damning and, if found guilty, they should hammer him.
"He has built up his reputation over the last 12 months and to come into the tournament and do that, I am lost for words.
"I can understand why the referee did not see it clearly but they can look at video evidence and there is no way he can get away with that. It is pretty clear.
"What on earth is he thinking of?"
Former England international Chris Waddle said Suarez needs to be "severely punished".
"Let's see how strong Fifa are," he added. "There will be people who will defend him, but I don't know why. I'd make him wear a gumshield."
_75807997_mmftbwcmotdpunditsonbite.png
MIKA: Someone should muzzle that guy! wink.png

Sorry to see the Italians go out, but excited to see Greece go through for the first time in their history. What an incredible ending to a game. Great to see this tournament turning the tables and tides of the game.

As a Liverpool faithful, I'm left shaking my head once again and have to say that if he is judged by FIFA to have bitten an opponent I say kick him out of the tournament, club and ban him from international play for a long time. And if Barca or any other team is willing to fork over an insane amount of cash for him then take it. But, I honestly don't know if anyone is going to want to play with or against him in Europe.

• Like 1

Haha! I wonder what the odds were on that??

The odds were 175 to 1 which sounds CRAZY low. I mean, your betting one adult actually bites another adult during a soccer match. Can't believe the odds were so low. But..its his 3rd bite so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

• Like 1

Ok now that the dust had settled down, I am thrilled to admit that this is one of the great moments of our national team. Today was all about football, here in Greece.

Amazing feeling ,hearing all cheering from their houses at 1 am!!!

Let go for another miracle on Sunday, against Costa Rica!

Haha! I wonder what the odds were on that??

For a payout on that bet to occur, it's going to take Fifa to find him guilty first!

Sad to see Italy bounced. They need to start using their talents more and not just play for the tie to advance. Going all out in the last 10 minutes does not a win make. As for Suarez. Good to see he's gone for the WC and more. No place for that kind of behaviour. Sadly, it did pay off as they scored moments later.

• Like 2

Yeah, Bradley has had a tough world cup so far. Some of his passes looked a little better today.

It was a bumpy road, but advancing out of that group is a monumental achievement for them. Anything can happen, but they should have a good chance at beating the group H winner.

Edit: Also glad that Suarez won't be playing for the rest of the WC.

Well I guess that's my bet for Chile gone! Never mind! I unfortunately didn't see their Brazil game earlier today but by all counts they have done themselves proud! Shame that they should have to leave on the back of penalties! Us English know that feeling far too well (and too frequently!!!)

Well I guess that's my bet for Chile gone! Never mind! I unfortunately didn't see their Brazil game earlier today but by all counts they have done themselves proud! Shame that they should have to leave on the back of penalties! Us English know that feeling far too well (and too frequently!!!)

I agree completely, my wife and I watched the match and Chile can be proud.

In saying this however, only 5 shots at goal versus Brazils 14 is not so great... Next time :)

There definitely was a flop on Robben's part, but that defender should never have put himself in a position like that. And let's not forget the non-call when Robben got hauled down in the first half. And let's also not forget how Mexico was clearly too soft and not aggressive in the last part of the game. The Netherlands kept coming, kept the pressure up, and ended up putting themselves in a position to win.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

There definitely was a flop on Robben's part, but that defender should never have put himself in a position like that. And let's not forget the non-call when Robben got hauled down in the first half. And let's also not forget how Mexico was clearly too soft and not aggressive in the last part of the game. The Netherlands kept coming, kept the pressure up, and ended up putting themselves in a position to win.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

agreed, though i thought robben was a call that could go either way.