Official World Cup Thread

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing about Brazil 2014 so far? No vuvuzelas!

As a Liverpool fan, I'm disgusted. No supporting that. He's crazy and needs help.

C'mon germany!!!!!

With ireland not in it this year i always support the germans. I love their style of football.

But given the fact that im sitting on a beach in portugal right now i have a soft spot for the team.

Belgium also have a very strong team this year.

• Like 1

Well I have money on Algeria to be the highest placed African team so come on them! But I have a feeling France will do well this time.

I foresee much knee-grabbing, flailing, flopping, and rolling about the turf.

i have a few first round predictions...

here is my list of who will make it out of round one:

group A
Brazil, Mexico

Group B:
Spain, Netherlands

Group C:
Colombia, Japan

Group D:
England, Italy

Group E:
France, Switzerland

Group F:
Argentina, Nigeria

Group G:
Germany, Portugal

Group H:
Belgium, Russia

a few long shots in there, like japan and Nigeria but they produce decent teams and since the groups they are in are not quite as strong they have a decent shot.

the swiss may not make it and honduras may in group E. honduras has something to prove even though they dont look as good on paper. thats a close call in my book.

as far as overall goes...

i do have to say that Argentina could win the tournament. their offense is just amazing. however, the old saying "offense wins the game and defense wins the tournament" is very true and the Argentina defense is at times questionable. also, i cant think of a single person from their bench. fairly shallow team. should they get a red card or an injury to a defensive player, it could be disaster.
on the other hand it is difficult bet against Brazil and they are favored to win.

in my dream world i think it would be fun to see Germany and Brazil in the final. they each play a very different style and watching those styles clash is a joy to watch.

my "home team" will not make it. the US wont even get out of the first round. as soon as they are out i have no real horse in the race. from there it is all about who would be fun to watch play each other... and im looking forward to seeing some very good matches.

Not a day goes by where I do not think about the lost final of 2010 at least once

(what can I say - after '74 and '78 it felt like our time had suddenly and unexpectedly come after all)

Strange to say then, that I find myself looking forward to the worldcup.

Let's hope the South Americans do well this year.

Football? football.gif

• Like 1

Sitting here just now watching Brazil score on themselves I got to thinking....... Maybe Germany and Portugal will score on themselves too and the US will sneak out of the group. unknown.gif

C'mon germany!!!!!

With ireland not in it this year i always support the germans. I love their style of football.

But given the fact that im sitting on a beach in portugal right now i have a soft spot for the team.

Belgium also have a very strong team this year.

+1 For Germany

I'm also going for Chile :)

Yuk! Terrible officiating, that penalty decision killed the game. Either incompetent or on the take. Poor referees and linesman ruin too many WC games. All officiating in the WC should be done by Champions League refs and linesmen Imo, they are the only ones who are used to the huge pressure of regular high importance/big money games.

The Luis Suarez 'WC scumbag award' nominee so far is Fred for that dive!

Brazil-not sure how they are the favourite; very lightweight, Croatia should have at the very least drawn that game, luckily for them they should still qualify. Brazil based on what they did tonight will struggle massively against Spain, Germany, Holland.

If they go through they will face either Holland or Spain, I'd expect that match to be the end of the road for Brazil.

I like the 10-yard vanishing spray paint though! Pity it was the only good point in terms of referring!

i have a few first round predictions...

here is my list of who will make it out of round one:

group A

Brazil, Mexico

Group B:

Spain, Netherlands

Group C:

Colombia, Japan

Group D:

England, Italy

Group E:

France, Switzerland

Group F:

Argentina, Nigeria

Group G:

Germany, Portugal

Group H:

Belgium, Russia

I am (in no order)

Group A: Brazil, Mexico

Group B: Spain, Chile

Group C: Colombia, Japan

Group D: Italy, Uruguay

Group E: Switzerland, France

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia

Group G: Germany, Portugal

Group H: Belgium, South Korea

------

Thought the game this morning was dreary. Dodgy refereeing, Brazil deserved the win though. Croatia didn't offer much going forward, but Brazil lacked any clinical edge. Oscar was the best player on the park for me. Fred non-existent.

Assuming Mexico get the win over Cameroon tomorrow, they will have a minimum +3 goal difference vs Croatia. Both teams could finish on 4 points (with Brazil on 9, although unconvincing), and Mexico might sneak through on GD.