Official World Cup Thread

Congrats to Germany for a great World Cup win! Well played final, glad it ended without the kicks....

• Like 1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best thing about Brazil 2014 so far? No vuvuzelas!

As a Liverpool fan, I'm disgusted. No supporting that. He's crazy and needs help.

Well done to Ze Germans they may well do it again in Russia! It was the best WC I've seen from start to finish.

Great win,. thoroughly deserved, didn't like the way Argentina started to play dirty in the second half.

Messi completely absent, how he was given the golden boot is beyond me, sponsor leaning I'm guessing. Was a make or break tournament for him to be judged as a great but fell a long way short sadly.

• Like 1

Entertaining game. Germany certainly pressed hard but didn't find the magic touch until the later stages of the game. Messi with the golden boot is a bit perplexing. You're probably right. Sponsors had a hand in that.

I think they just wanted to make Messi walk up the stairs twice. LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Congrats to Germany for a great World Cup win! Well played final, glad it ended without the kicks....

Never a fair way to win/lose a World Cup. I'm just glad it was a good spectacle, one of the more spirited 0-0s (90min) I've seen recently.

Credit to Germany, they were class throughout the tournament. Incredible tournament team, just clinical! They have some insane squad depth too, and Loew did a fantastic job at the helm. Die Mannschaft ist wieder Weltmeister! spotlight.gif

• Like 2

Messi completely absent, how he was given the golden boot is beyond me, sponsor leaning I'm guessing. Was a make or break tournament for him to be judged as a great but fell a long way short sadly.

Couldn't agree more. He was sluggish out on the pitch and a really unimpressive game for him, that and no one for Argentina could finish...di Maria would have made a difference IMHO... A great goal by Germany and a deserved win. All in all, a fine WC tournament and well worth watching.

I personally can't really agree with the criticism of Messi. Germany has a brilliant defense orchestrated by Lahm. If all they have to concern themselves with is Messi it shouldn't really be a problem for a team like Germany.

Higuain is the player that was really absent for me. I don't think he could have had a worse final game. He is a pure goal scorer and nearly completely whiffed on a wide open shot. He seemed to be out of position the rest of the time. Di Maria being out certainly didn't help either. He is the foundation of a lot of the midfield play.

Without Messi Argentina wouldn't have made it out of their group... Other players have to step up as well.

• Like 1

I personally can't really agree with the criticism of Messi. Germany has a brilliant defense orchestrated by Lahm. If all they have to concern themselves with is Messi it shouldn't really be a problem for a team like Germany.

Higuain is the player that was really absent for me. I don't think he could have had a worse final game. He is a pure goal scorer and nearly completely whiffed on a wide open shot. He seemed to be out of position the rest of the time. Di Maria being out certainly didn't help either. He is the foundation of a lot of the midfield play.

Without Messi Argentina wouldn't have made it out of their group... Other players have to step up as well.

agree with this. his strike v iran was very special and a few more but in the end, he did not get them over the line. higuain was awful.

messi a wonderful player but he had his chance to join pele, maradona etc and fell short. my first thought, when he missed his chances, was would maradona or pele have missed? don't think so.

good fun tournament though. enjoyed more than i expected to.

overall, you have to think germany deserved it.

however, there now, in hindsight, seems to be a feeling that germany were the superior team throughout. look back and they had only two dominant games - portugal and brazil. 1-0 v the states is hardly compelling and i watched the game v ghana with a bunch of germans. 2-2 and they were very relieved. ghana probably deserved better. then needed extra time v algeria and 1-0 v france. plus extra time in the final. still, always a sign of a good team where they get through the close ones.

looking forward to the new season.

agree with this. his strike v iran was very special and a few more but in the end, he did not get them over the line. higuain was awful.

messi a wonderful player but he had his chance to join pele, maradona etc and fell short. my first thought, when he missed his chances, was would maradona or pele have missed? don't think so.

good fun tournament though. enjoyed more than i expected to.

overall, you have to think germany deserved it.

however, there now, in hindsight, seems to be a feeling that germany were the superior team throughout. look back and they had only two dominant games - portugal and brazil. 1-0 v the states is hardly compelling and i watched the game v ghana with a bunch of germans. 2-2 and they were very relieved. ghana probably deserved better. then needed extra time v algeria and 1-0 v france. plus extra time in the final. still, always a sign of a good team where they get through the close ones.

looking forward to the new season.

I'd agree with that, other than the Portugal and Brazil games the Germans did just enough to win, they really weren't dominant. If Ghana had a forward just a touch better Germany would have lost that game. France didn't show up at all and they just scraped out a win. That goal by Gotze was excellent though.

That said, I think Argentina was probably the least exciting team to make it to the finals in a long time. For the amount of attacking talent they have they weren't very impressive.

In my opinion the talk of a dominant Germany comes from the fact that they had a deep bench, an organized team and no matter the pressures they stepped up and made the championship happen. There were a few dubious calls in games that gave them an advantage (would they have scored 7 if Neymar and Thiago Silva were in the lineup for Brazil?) but in the end not many teams scored against them (when it mattered) and they had long stretches of playing absolutely beautiful team-oriented futbol...

also, i'm a huge Germany fan so all I see is sunshine and happiness today.... respect to Argentina for making yesterdays game a great ending to one of the best world cups I've seen in my lifetime...

Goetze, mein gott, Goetze!!!

For me football wise wasn't interesting, yeah the teams were quite evenly matched so it was a lot extra time and penalty shoutout. It was nice seeing the smaller teams come up like chile, Columbia and even Algeria.

On a side note just wanted to say kudos to Oliver and all Brazilian to a job well done for hosting this World Cup regardless critics scepticism initially. But you guys pulled through and put on party that'll be etched in my memories for all time.

It was always my dream to go to Brazil and to do it during World Cup just unbelievable. Admittedly it was rough around the edges I suppose that's the Brazilian way (does add to the charm) and everything was crazy expensive blame it on FIFA.

And maracana is definitely the Mecca for football, when you step in there you can feel the half century of football played there the passion the fans and you imagine how did they fit 150k people in there.

Anyways thank you Brazil making it a great experience and I wish I could've caught up with you Oliver. But don't you worry I'll be comin back again hopefully for the Olympics if the prices are not too crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post-6732-14054382691892.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw an episode of Real Sports on HBO tonight on the World Cup coming to Qatar in 2022, what a debacle for FIFA how they got bribed for the WC to take place in Qatar....plus Qatar is a cluster they way the locals treat the immigrants and import all of their athletes, that country is whack

WC in 115* temps in 2022, should be interesting....

plus Qatar is a cluster they way the locals treat the immigrants and import all of their athletes

the hypocrisy!! It buuuuuuuuuuuuurns!

however, this is a place where they can actually serve liquor. If i can remember the exact placement, all the neighbouring countries forbid alcoholic beverages... much needed for the WC, eh?

FIFA is corrupted, sepp blatter should step down. He's been in charge for way too long. I remember the Japan World Cup there was an outcry because the tickets were given to VIPs, I don't see much difference the recent World Cup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1