What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Well it may only be 8 degrees outside but it's Carnival time so why not celebrate with some Caipirinhas!

I hope that's not Fahrenheit! Oh, the wonder of a Caipirinha cocktail, sometimes I feel that when I make one, no other cocktail can satisfy as well as this one! party.giflol3.gifok.gif

If I was making two serves, I'd use one lime, cut it two halves and then quarters so you have 8 quarters. I'd sprinkle 2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar on the limes in the glass and muddle thoroughly. I'd then add 1 cup of crushed ice, then 2 oz of cachaca and I'd then stir the drink really well to get the mix of citrus and sweetness to my liking. It's a fantastically refreshing summer cocktail, but like you, I'd enjoy it in winter too! lmao.gif

• Like 1

I hope that's not Fahrenheit! Oh, the wonder of a Caipirinha cocktail, sometimes I feel that when I make one, no other cocktail can satisfy as well as this one! party.giflol3.gifok.gif

If I was making two serves, I'd use one lime, cut it two halves and then quarters so you have 8 quarters. I'd sprinkle 2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar on the limes in the glass and muddle thoroughly. I'd then add 1 cup of crushed ice, then 2 oz of cachaca and I'd then stir the drink really well to get the mix of citrus and sweetness to my liking. It's a fantastic refreshing summer cocktail, but like you, I'd enjoy it in winter too! lmao.gif

You know how to make a mean cocktail and caipirinha. I always enjoy reading what cocktail you're putting together. Unfortunately I do mean Fahrenheit, but it's one way to brighten up the winter and make it more bearable. I'm very fortunate to be gifted plenty of cachaca when I go to Brazil for work. They know I like my caipirinhas

3773c8bdc86e1347b63b19ffaeae054b.jpg

The Milsean does have a sweeter nose but I don't really get the "candied" palate that others describe - sweetness comes mainly from the malt and vanilla with an orange note. Fruity complexity.

The oak is certainly better integrated when compared to the Tusail. Too bad the finish is a little short in comparison.

A good effort and a worthy addition to the Private Edition series but certainly not earth shatteringly good.

78f04bf6bcc7ed1e49be3acb005e2f10.jpg

The oak, creamy quality, nutty intensity and long finish of the Tusail makes it the better choice with a cigar.

Both are clinical in delivery - clean and quite full bodied. I will likely get a few more bottles of the Milsean to add to the collection when it goes on sale.

• Like 3

Interestingly, the Milsean when left overnight in a lidded Glencairn really blossomed - now the "candied" character comes through in waves without being cloying while the fruity complexity becomes increasingly intense and rich making it's presence felt - strawberries dipped in custard with a mild drizzle of caramel sauce and a dusting of cocoa powder. The finish is improved too. It seems the malt benefits from time in glass.

An impressive release. Will certainly look to obtaining more bottles to keep.

• Like 2

Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection Rye Bourbon 115 from a fresh bottle and in a Society nosing glass.

a199474c0277b193e9c12908f2449e38.jpg

6e496829517fc85813865650d4105a3d.jpg

Awesome nose! A cornucopia of fruit, flowers, grass and scented wood smells. This has got to be one of the most attractive of noses I've ever experienced in a whisk(e)y - such heavenly sweet perfume. I am already satisfied yet I have not partaken of this amber ambrosia.

Sweet, herbaceous and balanced - medium bodied and elegant in delivery, harmonious oak. While not too intense it does have sufficient presence. The finish is lingering but not resounding. Would have benefited from more concentration - I think a higher proof bottling of this would have added more palate weight making it about the best rye I have ever had.

Then again, I haven't had many ryes to know any better.

Interestingly, the Milsean when left overnight in a lidded Glencairn really blossomed - now the "candied" character comes through in waves without being cloying while the fruity complexity becomes increasingly intense and rich making it's presence felt - strawberries dipped in custard with a mild drizzle of caramel sauce and a dusting of cocoa powder. The finish is improved too. It seems the malt benefits from time in glass.

An impressive release. Will certainly look to obtaining more bottles to keep.

Cool mate. Like we messaged. That's what I found. As my palate was primed by (sweet) prawns before my first tasting.

I will get a couple more bottles as I left the last one with my dad on the sunny coast.

However, tonight...

217b8a46ce7662e4877735fcdf538c03.jpg

Really into this.

And had one of these earlier...

0d69986bd217a27e98182fd671a71d66.jpg

Which are no longer made, and word on the grapevine is Seppelt will be dead altogether in the not too distant future.

That sparkling ale is farking radical!

Who would have thought?

Sent from my iPhone

• Like 1

Went to a wine tasting last evening where 25 small wineries from around the world were represented. Past wine tastings at this restaurant have featured some pretty pricey selections so last night focused on more affordable offerings in the $15-$30 range. While there was nothing earth shattering the two standouts to my palate were Pierre Rougon Vacqueryras, a GSM blend from France and Ryan Patrick Vineyards Wahluke Slope Rock Island Red, a blend of syrah, merlot & petite Syrah that had a ton of new oak.

Marie Duffau Hors d'Age.

I so much prefer Armagnac to Cognac, but then again, I prefer bourbon to scotch 1000fold. There's just something with that slap'n'tickle and little bit of heat that leaves me satisfied.

Cheap Napa. 2014 Ca' Nomi Merlot. I'm drinking f****** merlot! Actually an incredible value at $10. Hard to find anything decent for less than $20, especially Napa.

• Like 1

Cheap Napa. 2014 Ca' Nomi Merlot. I'm drinking f****** merlot! Actually an incredible value at $10. Hard to find anything decent for less than $20, especially Napa.

If it's actually Ca'Momi...good stuff. They have a restaurant here that has the absolute best Neapolitan pizza ever.

• Like 1

Celebrating a few days off with a bit of the Nadurra neat in a glencairn, followed by some Henry McKenna on the rocks. The Nadurra is a wonderful malt, full of honey and flowers, with just a touch of smoke (and damn drinkable neat, despite being 109.4 Proof). The McKenna is my current favorite budget bourbon, and a good choice after blowing out my tastebuds on a cigar (CORO tonight, a great pairing) and a cask proof scotch. I prefer my scotch and bourbon at cask proof, which I normally add a bit of water to, but to my taste the Nadurra is just perfect without any water added.

post-25620-0-90547500-1455763306_thumb.j

• Like 1

e4d9784ed570cb28985a1c53e3937db2.jpg

Glenlivet founders reserve. The 12 is much better but despite the bad reviews I actually enjoyed it. It was a Valentine's Day gift with a few other bottles from my wife. I had the first one neat then with ice and then mixed with soda. I think it's pretty good value.

Had the whole bottle with my father in law tonight so I guess after the first few anything tastes good lol.