What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

What flavour profile is bai jiu?I've not tried this stuff and am curious.

I've had a lot of it during my China travels - the flavor profile to me is crude oil ;)

How anyone can drink that stuff voluntarily is beyond me. And some of it costs hundreds of dollars.

18bdf22dacf3d61b741027738486266d.jpg

Went down to the NBC to try their next Croft Brewing collab in their Sour Series.

Mango Sour Ale.

From QLD mangos.

Crazy good.

Had a crack at pairing it with a cigar last night.

e6545fcca8fdb5b6a4458d2c2bdb6e50.jpg

Worked perfectly.

Wish it was a staple to be honest. One of the cleanest and most refreshing drinks I have had.

Sent from my iPhone

I think great sour beers can replace Champagne in many circumstances: great acid, lively carbonation and just a 'yummy' factor. Another dimension is added with the funky sours when teamed with things like brett and old barrels.

I think great sour beers can replace Champagne in many circumstances: great acid, lively carbonation and just a 'yummy' factor. Another dimension is added with the funky sours when teamed with things like brett and old barrels.

I just had the Goose Island Sofie and it was very much like champagne. Also Russian River brewing makes some interesting sour beers...they're right in your neck of the woods.

Bubblegum is not typical of a traditional wild or sour ale. Was it a berliner Weiss by any chance? That's a traditional German tart beer, which would explain the bubble gum (which is traditional of of German wheat beers)

I was describing Chinese Bai Jiu - a rice based spirit - not beer nor ales.

I just had the Goose Island Sofie and it was very much like champagne. Also Russian River brewing makes some interesting sour beers...they're right in your neck of the woods.

While it's a good beer (or used to be, haven't had it since Goose Island sold) Sofie's not really a sour.

Russian River stuff is okay but not worth fighting the crowds for. The food is terrible there and I hate beer geeks.

2008 Heitz Cabernet tonight with a burger done on the cast iron, buttered and grilled brioche and a iceberg salad with blue cheese dressing. America. Football. Meat. Napa Cab. F- yeah.

I experimented with the following cocktails over the weekend...

1) Tom Collins - Next time I'll make it without crushed ice, as carbonated soda works better in a drink with standard ice cubes in my opinion. Still, it was ok.

post-23478-0-87686700-1454928278_thumb.j

2) Grand Sidecar - This is a 'go to' cocktail of mine, made with Grand Marnier for the triple sec.

post-23478-0-60604600-1454928287_thumb.j

3) Sazerac - The International Bartenders Association (IBA) lists this classic cocktail as made with 50 cl of cognac as the original drink only substituted bourbon or rye due to cognac been unavailable at the time. I made one during the week with equal measures of Remy Martin VSOP cognac and Rittenhouse Rye. This one on the weekend had just the traditional rye. Both were good, but I preferred the cognac/rye mix a little more. Hmmm...perhaps next time I'll make it with Courvoisier XO and see how we go. I enjoy making this cocktail as it requires a unique preparation (i.e two old-fashioned tumblers, with one of them coated in absinthe)

post-23478-0-36921300-1454928294_thumb.j

4) Manhattan - Made with Rittenhouse Rye. It's been awhile since I've had the last one. A nice way to cap the weekend.

post-23478-0-37758500-1454928302_thumb.j

• Like 4