What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

A generous slosh of Bunnahabhain Darach Ur and a stogie after dinner.

cf760d127be4d48a954ba525a3df9834.jpg

It's been a long weekend of work, TGIF.

That sounds more like an evil fortress from The Lord of the Rings than a scotch.

William Heavenhill BIB. Hot for 50%. A solid bourbon, but not worth the effort (distillery gift shop only bottling). Also, not worth the price- $130. Too much oak for me, not enough body. Reminds me of Evan Williams rather than Elijah Craig.

• Like 1

After a rather hectic week at work, glad that things appear to be easing up towards the weekend for me to be able to have an Arturo Fuente Work of Art Maduro and a slosh of Yamazaki 12 Year Old.

e9a57f713996393a278ac4f3a6dee4ec.jpg

Happy weekend to all. :D

Man I thought I was doing good with some Blanton's I feel like instead of paying rent or buying groceries, it's loading up on the 24:24 or the Dram shop. 1st world problems right? I enjoy seeing this thread, gives me a good idea of what will pair with what.

All this talk about huge multinationals taking over all the distilleries in Scotland. NAS, chill-filtering, artificial coloring, watered-down, blah, blah, blah has almost made me give up on my beloved drams.....

Anyway, ran across a Ralfy vid from beginning of year discussing his 'best Scotch of 2014'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abHFnGjxxVM

Turns out it's the Bendromach 10 (non-cask strength). Ralfy (Ralf Mitchell) bases his ratings on not just the quality of the elixir but other factors like cost, availability, corporate marketing or not, and such. He's posted over 500 reviews so I think there's a touch of credence there...

Anyway, sounds good, can't recall having it, figured let's go pick up a bottle and see what we think.

Hit a couple of the locals that typically have a variety of the non-standard stuff, no joy.

While perusing the first shop I did come across a Springbank 12 Cask Strength for a good price so grab that one as a backup and head to the next shop,

Still no Bendromach so I'm about to head home when out of the corner of my eye I spot a bottle of Craigellachie 13 year old. Never heard of that one, thought prolly another ringer cashing in on the craze so I pick it up to see what it's about.

Well. Non-chill filtered, no artificial coloring. 46% ABV. Single Speyside distillery, juice distilled in pot stills with worm tub condensers.

Kind of cool old-school labeling and graphics. This is the real deal!!!

Grab the bottle and head to the register.....get home and put the Springbank aside, let's give this one a go!

Craigellachie_zps18fwyvoj.jpg

Crack it, pour in to the Glencairn, couple of swirls and mmm, honey, apple, malt and vanilla nose. First sip, pineapple, honey, charred woody notes. Smoky but not peaty. Thick and chewy mouthfeel. Lingering dry finish with nuts, pepper and caramel.

Complements the RA Poderosos I'm smoking gloriously.

20150626_210018_zps58ef0kjn.jpg

This is a new go to for me!

Turns out they've been around since 1891, primarily supplying White Horse until recently and now for Dewar's blends. but have recently begun limited bottling for the the first time late last year. Looks like Bacardi got them as part of the Dewar's buy from Diageo in 2010 so I'm guessing some genius realized they could ratchet profits a bit by going with some single malt offerings. Glad they did!

Here's the facts: http://www.diffordsguide.com/producers/1071/craigellachie-distillery/history#sub_page

My recommendation, if it sounds like your cup of tea grab it if you can find it!

* Failed to mention, under $50USD!

Edited by Habana Mike

San Lotano Oval Pyramid with a couple of years of age and some Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel Bourbon.

b3ecada1227b332cfe598e8516368e7e.jpg

A really sophisticated and smooth bourbon that pairs very well with this non-Cuban smoke. I think bourbon and non-Cubans from Nicaragua work well together.

All this talk about huge multinationals taking over all the distilleries in Scotland. NAS, chill-filtering, artificial coloring, watered-down, blah, blah, blah has almost made me give up on my beloved drams.....

Anyway, ran across a Ralfy vid from beginning of year discussing his 'best Scotch of 2014'.

Turns out it's the Bendromach 10 (non-cask strength). Ralfy (Ralf Mitchell) bases his ratings on not just the quality of the elixir but other factors like cost, availability, corporate marketing or not, and such. He's posted over 500 reviews so I think there's a touch of credence there...

Anyway, sounds good, can't recall having it, figured let's go pick up a bottle and see what we think.

Hit a couple of the locals that typically have a variety of the non-standard stuff, no joy.

While perusing the first shop I did come across a Springbank 12 Cask Strength for a good price so grab that one as a backup and head to the next shop,

Still no Bendromach so I'm about to head home when out of the corner of my eye I spot a bottle of Craigellachie 13 year old. Never heard of that one, thought prolly another ringer cashing in on the craze so I pick it up to see what it's about.

Well. Non-chill filtered, no artificial coloring. 46% ABV. Single Speyside distillery, juice distilled in pot stills with worm tub condensers.

Kind of cool old-school labeling and graphics. This is the real deal!!!

Grab the bottle and head to the register.....get home and put the Springbank aside, let's give this one a go!

Craigellachie_zps18fwyvoj.jpg

Crack it, pour in to the Glencairn, couple of swirls and mmm, honey, apple, malt and vanilla nose. First sip, pineapple, honey, charred woody notes. Smoky but not peaty. Thick and chewy mouthfeel. Lingering dry finish with nuts, pepper and caramel.

Complements the RA Poderosos I'm smoking gloriously.

20150626_210018_zps58ef0kjn.jpg

This is a new go to for me!

Turns out they've been around since 1891, primarily supplying White Horse until recently and now for Dewar's blends. but have recently begun limited bottling for the the first time late last year. Looks like Bacardi got them as part of the Dewar's buy from Diageo in 2010 so I'm guessing some genius realized they could ratchet profits a bit by going with some single malt offerings. Glad they did!

Here's the facts: http://www.diffordsguide.com/producers/1071/craigellachie-distillery/history#sub_page

My recommendation, if it sounds like your cup of tea grab it if you can find it!

* Failed to mention, under $50USD!

Mike, I absolutely adore the Benromach 10. It's a beautiful, affordable whisky that punches waaaay above it's weight. In particular the cask strength bottling is awesome.

A diplomatico latte and an epi 2.

Mmm, sounds good. Recipe?

Mmm, sounds good. Recipe?

Fresh roast Sumatra mandheling coffee.

1 quarter stick of organic grass fed butter

1 half scoop of vanilla protein shake

Rum to taste. Diplomatico, Zaya, plantation 20.

Blend and enjoy. Good to have an iced water with lemon as the drink is a little rich.

Works well with that hoyo's creaminess.

William Heavenhill BIB. Hot for 50%. A solid bourbon, but not worth the effort (distillery gift shop only bottling). Also, not worth the price- $130. Too much oak for me, not enough body. Reminds me of Evan Williams rather than Elijah Craig.

I grew up spending the summers at my grandparents, who lived a few miles from Heaven Hill. Nothing like riding horses in the evenings with sour mash and honey suckle in the air. Good times.

• Like 1