What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Kavalan Solist Ex-Bourbon Cask.

6ef49281e3b4ffbe8b732c3311756e0c.jpg

Rather muted bouquet as is typical for bourbon cask finished malts but the palate is impressively multidimensional, a fruit and malt duet with oak and vanilla.

A very nice and clean malt whisky with the malt and fruit taking centre stage, and finally the malt, at the finish - pure and resonating.

Hardly any heat at all with a mild oily mouthfeel and a little spicy prickle at the back of the palate.

The dark horse of the Solist series that lives in the shadow of the more renowned Sherry Cask and Vinho Barrique variants but for those that back this underdog, you may well be pleasantly surprised with the payback. :)

• Like 2

Bunnahbhain 12. Really is a great all rounder. Really satisfying, without having to think to long and hard about it.

Worth the price?

Not at all. Not a bad rye, but nothing that special. I definitely would not pay the secondary price for it.

Rittenhouse 21, on the other hand, is nearly worth the secondary price.

• Like 1

Glenmorangie Tusail.

fbe16344e8b6282e94a9e07ef184e63b.jpg

In my honest opinion, it's like an amped up version of the Glenmorangie the Original Ten Years old with an interesting nutty aftertaste. It is more oily on the mouthfeel too. Well made but doesn't appear to deliver in comparison to the others in the Private Edition series.

In Australia, considering that the Signet can be had for a little more - my recommendation would be to go that. One for the collectors. As for me, this marks the second special edition Glenmorangie that does not excite as much as anticipated - the other being the Taghta.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. After having tried the Taghta and several other expressions from Glenmorangie, I will stick to the original 10 and Nectar D'or. I didn't like the Signet, the 25, or the 18.

Glenmorangie Tusail.

fbe16344e8b6282e94a9e07ef184e63b.jpg

In my honest opinion, it's like an amped up version of the Glenmorangie the Original Ten Years old with an interesting nutty aftertaste. It is more oily on the mouthfeel too. Well made but doesn't appear to deliver in comparison to the others in the Private Edition series.

In Australia, considering that the Signet can be had for a little more - my recommendation would be to go that. One for the collectors. As for me, this marks the second special edition Glenmorangie that does not excite as much as anticipated - the other being the Taghta.