What's in your glass today?

maverickdrinker

0b365c36ae939b18f8a48dde398b09bf.jpg

Interestingly, the general consensus was the Archive 21 ($$$) is underwhelming in comparison to the Guardians Chapter ($).

Admittedly, there is evidence of feints on the nose for the Guardians Chapter, probably from the young whisky in the make-up but there is so much luscious fruit and good oak balance in the drink. The Archive 21 however suffers from being a tad too oaky (French?).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought that I would start this off for the new year. Good to see what people's favorite or current libation is. Tonight, The Balvenie Portwood 21...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm feeling better today,  Not as dark, tense, and angry as I have been the past several days. Today was better. Chores around the house, building a new humidor, repaired a door frame, and just being

Interestingly, the general consensus was the Archive 21 ($$$) is underwhelming in comparison to the Guardians Chapter ($).

Admittedly, there is evidence of feints on the nose for the Guardians Chapter, probably from the young whisky in the make-up but there is so much luscious fruit and good oak balance in the drink. The Archive 21 however suffers from being a tad too oaky (French?).

I'm not really a fan of Glenlivet- the young bottlings are floral and fruity, but a lot of rough edges. Older bottlings have too much wood influence and get too faint in terms of distillery character. The 25 is definitely guilty of that.

I'd like to try the Guardian's Chapter.

• Like 1

I'm not really a fan of Glenlivet- the young bottlings are floral and fruity, but a lot of rough edges...I'd like to try the Guardian's Chapter.

Yeah, the 12 YO comes across as being edgy and the 15 YO French Oak, while comparatively smoother suffers the same issue as the 21 YO Archives - too oaky.

The 18 YO appears to be the best of the regular mainstays or at least the one I had from a few years back - hope the current batches are still good.

The Guardians Chapter is a "limited" edition but quite sure there are upwards of 10,000 bottles despite the "limited" release. :D

Still, I am sure stocks are progressively being depleted.

BC Liquors in the USA looks to have some when you do a quick Google search if you are interested.

Must have been a really long weekend. :D

Yeah it was a four day weekend of Boozing, fishing, and relaxing. I've seen your pictures, you've had them as well. Lol

Longrow 11 Red.

Totally dig port aged scotch. Have a bottle of Kilchoman Port too but the last one didn't last for long =(

• Like 3

Longrow 11 Red.

Totally dig port aged scotch. Have a bottle of Kilchoman Port too but the last one didn't last for long =(

I thought the "Red" bottling was Shiraz?

. Red was a entire line of red wine finished Longrow. Port, sherry, Shiraz etc.

The Fresh Port is the current version of the Longrow Red. The past versions were Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Interestingly there is an Australian connection for the first two versions as the barrels utilised are ex-Australian wine barrels, coincidentally Angoves Long Row Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon respectively.

Ardbeg Uigeadail - Amazing stuff, seems to get more interesting and complex with every time I drink it.

Great malt. If you can find an older bottling, buy it. There is a world of difference.
  • Like 1

Great malt. If you can find an older bottling, buy it. There is a world of difference.

That's what I heard too but have not drunk enough through the years to know for sure.

Old Blowhard Bourbon.

How was it - worth the hype?

Whisky.655d8cdaabeff5869a1da6fa51e53833.jpg

How was the 116.20 mate? Worth the coin?

Also, what's that Bunnahabhain? I've not seen that packaging. Tell me about it, was it nice? I'm a Bunna fan!

How was the 116.20 mate? Worth the coin?

Also, what's that Bunnahabhain? I've not seen that packaging. Tell me about it, was it nice? I'm a Bunna fan!

That's a 116.18. I haven't opened the 116.20 yet and probably will need an ultra special occasion to do so. The 116.20 is immense - a real intense experience. Loved it.

The Bunnahabhain is the Darach-Ur that is matured in virgin oak casks. Didn't get around to actually opening the bottle but will plan to do so this weekend.