Deep Dive: Trinidad Vigia

El Presidente

Trinidad Vigia   

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trinidad Vigia 

Released in 2014 this Trinidad has gone on to be one of if not "the" best selling Trinidad in global markets. The world is indeed in love with the Petit Robusto format and these 54x 110 mm cigars do indeed deliver plenty of Trini DNA. I am more a Coloniales/Fundy man myself but I doff my hat to a cigar that does so well in a competitive sector. 

Trinidad Vigia 

• Do you like Trinidad Vigia?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Trinidad Vigia 
  • Do the poll!

Trinidad Vigia   :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Trinidad Vigia HQ MAY 19 (2).jpg

• Like 1

I admit I haven't had many Trinidad Vigia since 2014, but a few years ago I acquired half a box and in general they had a strong hay/barnyard cold draw and distinctive coffee, dough, hay, spice flavour blend and buttered texture. I concur with @RDB that I would enjoy this type of blend in a thinner ring gauge. Having said this, I can understand why this vitola sells so well because I enjoyed these Vigias, even when some of them had construction issues (inconsistent burns and ashing, re-lights etc.)

In general, different to the 50th anniversary releases (Esmeralda, Media Luna and Topes) as I've had a lot more of those and they've been more savoury and more woody.

First year batches were terrific; for 2016, 17 and 18 much of the exciting Trinidad DNA went MIA. Granted, those years were difficult overall. Aging has not had much, if any, beneficial effect on the boxes I bought during those years. The obnoxious size doesn't help matters but was forgivable in 2014--harder to ignore after that. Can't comment on 2019 and beyond. The Media Luna is slightly less bulky and a better cigar in my opinion.

I agree with El Jefe de FOH about the Fundadores being a superior experience.  I've also smoked through at least a dozen boxes of the Reyes, which used to be a daily smoke for me (always delicious!)- although they are now a bit small for my combustion habits.  The last few Vigia's that I have smoked have dissapointed- too light, too cakey, too "why bother".  

• Like 3

They’re nice and I understand why they were released in 2014. But I agree with others that the other sizes in the lineup are better. I do get them, I’ve had some wonderful examples between the two dozen or so that I’ve had. Haven’t had nearly enough of them to tell whether they’re much better with age or whether there was ever a blend change. 

I've had some very good ones but more average or below. Always been inconsistent for me. I think the Media Luna is much more consistent and I would probably pick the Topes before the Vigia as I was never a fan of the vitola in the first place. 

• Like 3

I've only had a few, from a couple different boxes, and some tubos. One of the best cigars I had last year was a Vigia tubo. Had one the other night from the same pack, and it was pretty dull. They've ranged from great to just OK for me, very inconsistent.

You could often find them for $180-$200 two years ago, and they were almost worth the money given how uneven they can be. With the current prices, I'll probably never buy any more.

• Like 1

Smoking one now from 2020. Big fan of these, I get a donut flavor from vigia that I don’t really get from other Trinidads. Wont be purchasing again though at the current pricing 

9B00D18C-5DD9-42EF-8217-DAC0C81D1C95.jpeg

• Like 1

I've had just a few, and enjoyed them.  For me they're a tasty mix of roasted nuts, coffee, and cream.  I've never had one with age on it and so don't know how the flavor profile evolves over the years, but I was fortunate to pick up a half dozen as single sticks before the huge price jump and aim to find out.

• Like 1

I (really!) loved Vigia b4 the big price hike, it was the only fairly priced stick that wasn't named Reyes or Coloniales (neither of which i really care for).

They're incredibly decadent...cookie dough, toasted almond, vanilla & cedar. Always so damn creamy with not much spice.

Other than burning a bit hot if you smoke quickly, they deliver tons of Trini DNA. Not normally my fave sizing, but always willing to grin & bear it. I also love that they rolled these at El Laguito, those boxes in my collection are crazy pretty- I'm glad i stocked up back when they were always on sale.

I like the size and the flavor profile. Have 2 boxes left. Will not rebuy at current insane $.  It’s a shame actually.  I enjoyed mixing them in every so often into my rotation. A very enjoyable hour smoke for me, but not like loosing my Monte PE’s. If the rolls were reversed and my Montes were $70 per stick, I would have a panic attack.

• Like 1

I get them. A consistent cigar in my rotation pre price hikes. Agree with comments on inconsistency and not the vitola i love most. But you could find some value in them and served a purpose. Now if to spend the $$ in Trinidad is probably not a vigía. They do burn hot easily. I have not seen improvements with age either so I always would smoke them year 1-2.

At their best, a very rich take on the Trinidad blend,   new leather, greasy sweet donut, sour butter, milky coffee, faint sandlewood   I real treat.  like every other cigar in the Trinidad line (irrespective of price) when you've got a crappy one, you know it. 

Like many have pointed out, if this blend was in a long skinny, it would be killer,  basically and old band fundie

• Like 1

I remember well a box of Trini Vigias from 2014, smoked during a period of one summer month in 2020. Flavor had evolved, into a somewhat less aggressive cream and biscuits Cohiba, with a touch of lime on the side. Excellent. So, those initial releases, do age well into the 5-8 year period of time. 

More recent Vigia, from 2019-2022, have been more consistent in construction, mondain in appearance, less oily, but mundane in flavor profile. Give these, 1-3 years. 

The time period from 2016-2018 is a bit of an oxymoron for the Vigia. I have had both excellent boxes and some total undefiled, horrible disasters. I would avoid this period when buying blind. 

I have been smoking and collecting them since release in 2014 and the Vigia is in my top 5 cuban cigars and #1 in the short, fat robusto format. Currently, I would suggest older boxes from 2014-2015 or those magnificent ARS 2019 boxes, released together with the new then Esmeralda and Topes. 

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I get this one. I had not really tried more than a few before 2019, primarily because I am not a fan of the size in general. I did grab a few during COVID lockdown before the prices went through the roof and by the time I tried them I wish I had grabbed more. I find this cigar much more dessert like than the Reyes or Fundadores. I get lots of notes of shortbread, and most of the cigar had a buttery flavor not present in many other cigars. Very good cigar! 

• Like 1