Deep Dive: Sancho Panza Non Plus

El Presidente

Sancho Panza Non Plus   

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sancho Panza Non Plus 

It is a retailers nightmare but that doesn't make it a bad cigar! I have described it as a shelf sitting, cash flow munching, dust collecting machine.  However it has a lot of fans although apparently none will buy them without a hefty discount :D

Let's talk Sancho Panza Non Plus!

Sancho Panza Non Plus 

• Do you like Sancho Panza Non Plus 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Sancho Panza Non Plus 
  • Do the poll!

Sancho Panza Non Plus  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

One of the worst cuban cigar.  A cigar few bought until it was discontinued and then suddenly it was in demand.  Last time in Cuba, late 2019, I saw boxes with dates of 2015 piled up.at one of the stores  It shares no similarity to the belicosos.  The belicosos is a great cigar.

The flavors are just a mess and out of balance.  I usually get most cigars.  This is my big no-get cigar.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Monterey said:

The flavors are just a mess and out of balance.  I usually get most cigars.  This is my big no-get cigar.

Agree with this. I bought a box based on reading some positive comments here on FOH and since I'm a huge fan of the Belicoso I thought, why not. 

I definitely learned a lesson the hard way. 

• Like 2

Wow, I'm surprised at all the negative opinions. I can totally understand this cigar not being everyone's cup of tea but I can't get on board with it being lousy. Yes, I have had some that were messy but most I've had have been just fine. 

This is a PC that's a great change of pace. Certainly wouldn't be in my regular rotation but I can definitely go through a box or two a year. 

Medium, salty, cream and toasted tobacco. The best ones can be quite complex with some graham cracker, milk chocolate and earth thrown in. 

• Like 4

They are an acquired taste. Hated the first few out of the box. Then started to like the next few out of the box. The blend is SALTY! Like they were sprinkled with coarse sea salt. Add in a little cream and a huge woody finish. The blend borders on chaos, but in essence is pure genius. Unlike any other Habanos marque.

• Like 3

In the range of the great Bachilleres, the Molinos, the Beli, the Coronas, the CG and even the Sanchos, the Non Plus had always been the black sheep. The unloved child. Way too inconsistent. I never cared for them as long as others were available.

• Like 1

Been though a box of 2007 SPNP recently (finished couple of years ago.) Went and found another 2007. Love em. OK they are old n crusty now. But as has been said great change of pace. Unique flavour profile (not tried ANY other SP! And not tried any NP young either) They can be a little harsh toward the end, but at least at 10+ years they are lovely IMO.

Wish I had another 2007 box stewing!

Get it.

• Thanks 1

Love Sancho Panza. The Non Plus is the anti thesis of Cuban cigars and the instagram/social media boasting world that cigar smoking may have become has no time for it. 

Makes me like it more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohnS said:

The issue with the Sancho Panza Non Plus is that it's both one-dimensional and lacks depth when young. For these two reasons alone, it's a curious Habanos product. I have sampled both young (i.e. less than 3 years old) and older (i.e. around ten years old) SP Non Plus in the last few years. I'm not going to exaggerate and advocate that as it ages this cigar becomes nuanced. Frankly, it doesn't...it still will remain one-dimensional. But at least it become more interesting as the rustic woodiness dissipates over time and floral notes start to emerge. But who wants to wait ten years for that?

Plenty seem to wait 10 years for the PLPC to come to fruition!😁

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

I like them. I always have a couple boxes tucked away for when I feel like grabbing one. They definitely arent a regular occasion stick though. I got a couple 18 boxes during my march trip to Havana and they'll probably sit 5 years before I crack them. I like NP relatively young, but like most Cubans, I think they improve with some age. 

2 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Plenty seem to wait 10 years for the PLPC to come to fruition!😁

You have to! Right? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have only bought singles at B&M's, being curious on them.  All time they had poor combustion and uninteresting flavors.  Similar fate with the Molinos.  Sancho Sancho; are any that aren't plugged?  Gave up on my 4th. 

They grew on me. I didn't like the first 5 I had and then I totally got it after a few really good ones sandalwood, salt, and cream where the flavors I pull from them. Not in my everyday rotation but it has a definite unique flavor profile that you won't find in any other cigar. I've only had aged ones and I'm aging another box from a few years ago. I like them but if you just had one I could you see why you'd think there trash.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

All time they had poor combustion

That does seem to be a bit of an issue with them. I picked up a box of 17s in Cuba earlier this year and I think maybe 2 or 3 burned well. 2 or 3 needed constant touch ups and the rest occasional touch ups. Apparently this has been plaguing them for a while. 

As far as age I think 5 years is more than enough for them. 3-5 is probably fine. But as with the Beli I would not recommend them ROTT. 

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

That does seem to be a bit of an issue with them. I picked up a box of 17s in Cuba earlier this year and I think maybe 2 or 3 burned well. 2 or 3 needed constant touch ups and the rest occasional touch ups. Apparently this has been plaguing them for a while. 

As far as age I think 5 years is more than enough for them. 3-5 is probably fine. But as with the Beli I would not recommend them ROTT. 

SP has always been pretty rustic in their standard lines. Feels like a thicker wrapper. Age adds a little more consistency to the burn, but they always act slightly wonky for me in the NP. That said, the flavor profile has grown on me enough that I can overlook slight burn issues occasionally. 

FWIW I fired up a Beli RAT20 last night. Very plugged stick, ended up pitching it before halfway. Just could not get any smoke out of the thing. Other's from the same box have been good so far. Grabbed a RGPC from a '14 box. redemption. There is no reason a 52 ring Belicoso should have a plug in the filler! Frustrating to have to pitch what would be an otherwise great cigar.