Deep Dive: Cohiba Siglo V

El Presidente

Cohiba Siglo V   

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cohiba Siglo V 

The Cohiba Siglo V is one of my favourite cigars. So damn rare, so damn good. Class personified. 

Once upon a time in a land far far away, these were expensive but still within reach of ardent Cohiba lovers. Today they are largely the domain of the wealthy. 

Still, if you have never smoked one and ge the chance to do so.....go the extra yard ;)

Cohiba Siglo V 

• Do you like Cohiba Siglo V 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Cohiba Siglo V 
  • Do the poll!

Cohiba Siglo V  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVE

Cohiba Siglo V.jpg

• Like 1

Ah, the rare bird. They're usually quite good and I just love the vitola. Can't say it's better than the Siglo VI but I might enjoy it more. 

Thinking back to better times when a Dalias was considered a large cigar and the largest of a line. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JohnS said:

'C'est la vie', I guess, but I consider myself fortunate. For instance, imagine being new to this hobby now and deciding you like Cohiba?

Very true. A matter of perspective. Always count your blessings!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Will it come to be seen as just not worth the price by the new generation? 

I am not sure that there is one defining "new generation" of Cuban cigar smoker. 

Looking at it from a traditional stand point, it wouldn't take much to break that down into 6-8 subgroups. 

What Habanos have done is largely  eliminate (brutally) 4-5 of those subgroups. 

They are only chasing the remaining 2-3 and they are certainly there. The question is whether Habanos can find that point of equillibrium between depth of market at price point and supply. 

I think it wil be a hard ask. 

• Like 2

Simply put, this is my desert island cigar. If I could only smoke one cigar for the rest of my life, this would be it. May the lord forgive me for not buying even more when I had the chance. What I once had to ration due to scarcity I will now have to ration indefinitely, though this is the sole Cohiba I would even entertain buying at the today's insane prices. Actually, I still wouldn’t. But I can live with one or two a year until my doctor or family force me to give up smoking.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I am not sure that there is one defining "new generation" of Cuban cigar smoker

I'm taking about those new to the hobby whether young or old. I would guess new smokers would tend to be on the younger side generally but not necessarily. 

The distinction is really between those who have had Cohiba and Trini in their lives for many years and those who haven't. 

Not really thinking about how HSA is going to manage their customer subgroups. That's an entirely different topic. Just thinking about how the individual smoker starting out will feel. 

47 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Just thinking about how the individual smoker starting out will feel. 

Even that category has subgroups. 

Between financially well heeled and the  traditional 2nd rung of the ladder. Both can be new to the Cohiba/Trini and broader Cuban cigar game. 

Again, the question is whether Habanos can find that point of equillibrium between depth of market at price point and supply. Have they called it right?

I doubt it. Few marketing strategies survive first contact with the consumer. However the interesting question will be.....how far will they have to tweak? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

The distinction is really between those who have had Cohiba and Trini in their lives for many years and those who haven't. 

I fully get the idea, but I think Rob is bringing up a valid point. Translated into my own words: For a decent assessment, you’d first have to tell the smokers from the “performers“. 😂

I consider the siglo V to be the best of the Cohiba regular line. So many overlook this cigar because of the small skinny ring gauge but they don't know what they are missing. I will take a Siglo V over a CoRo or Siglo IV or Esplandido any day.

• Love the Siglo V
  • As far as Dalias/Lonsdales go it's in a class all by itself.
  • I have not noticed any change in blend but I've only started smoking these about 2018 and only tubos. Before that, as far as Cohiba goes I was mainly a Siglo II and IV smoker. Not that I smoke Cohibas all that often, just a few every year.
  • The Siglo V probably takes me about an hour and a half despite the small ring gauge as I find these are usually on the tighter draw side(a good thing), but I'll never know for sure as I only smoke when time is not a factor and not really looking at my watch.

Is anyone really smoking these on a regular basis? Even when they were at the pre pandemic price point?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Groucho. said:

Is anyone really smoking these on a regular basis?

You'd have to have quite a stock built up to do so as they've been very limited production since at least 2002 when the VI replaced it as the flagship Siglo. If I was looking hard and had my finger on the trigger I could maybe have scored only one or two 25 boxes a year pre-pandemic. The Tubos are quite a bit easier to find but still a hunt. 

9 hours ago, Fugu said:

I fully get the idea, but I think Rob is bringing up a valid point. Translated into my own words: For a decent assessment, you’d first have to tell the smokers from the “performers“. 😂

I think the "performers" are a small segment of any group. Obviously there are people for whom money is no object. But for the other 90% there is some degree of price consciousness. Even if someone can easily afford Cohiba will they, coming to it today, be able to justify it at 3 x the cost of regular production? Will Cohiba appeal to new smokers so much that the cost is justified? Is it a Kobe beef or Johnnie Walker Blue situation?

4 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I think the "performers" are a small segment of any group. Obviously there are people for whom money is no object. But for the other 90% there is some degree of price consciousness. Even if someone can easily afford Cohiba will they, coming to it today, be able to justify it at 3 x the cost of regular production? Will Cohiba appeal to new smokers so much that the cost is justified? Is it a Kobe beef or Johnnie Walker Blue situation?

I think you partly answered your own question. 

4 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Obviously there are people for whom money is no object.

I think it is important to keep in mind that Cohiba V/VI/Esplendidos have gone up in price very little in key retail markets such as UK/ME/Asia. 

People were buying them before. People are buying them now. 

43 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Even if someone can easily afford Cohiba will they, coming to it today, be able to justify it at 3 x the cost of regular production? Will Cohiba appeal to new smokers so much that the cost is justified? Is it a Kobe beef or Johnnie Walker Blue situation?

Nailed it on that point I believe. Many CAN afford whatever they want. Will they? That’s the stickler. For me anyway. Just because I can does not mean I will.

( Oh look, a new turbo! Be right back! ) 😂