Deep Dive: Cohiba Lancero

El Presidente

Cohiba lancero   

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: Cohiba Lancero

Cohiba Lancero. This is a cigar that has people genuflecting at its mere mention....or left scratching their heads. :D

• Do you like Cohiba Lancero 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Cohiba Lancero?
  • Do the poll!

Cohiba Lancero :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Cohiba lancero PSP OCT 19.jpg

• Like 1

I would love to smoke a CoLa that is constructed well enough to allow me to properly experience the cigar such that I could actually answer the poll questions. I've had brutal luck with this stick. 

• Like 2

Possibly Cuba's best RP cigar. Unbelievable complexity & ability to age. 

I only have 3 boxes in my collection & not entirely sure I'll ever pay the new Hiba pricing for more, but damn I will cherish every last one I smoke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, inter4alia said:

I would love to smoke a CoLa that is constructed well enough to allow me to properly experience the cigar such that I could actually answer the poll questions. I've had brutal luck with this stick. 

Agreed. Attempted to smoke a well aged Fundy as a special cigar and it was the absolute pits in comparison to a slightly aged Hoyo Epi 1… the last attempt at CoLa was similar and equally off putting. 

• Like 1

I’ve had too many plugs to justify prices 2 years ago let alone today.  Great cigars when on, and I can see why it’s some peoples utopia, but this isn’t the one I chase - neither from my memories or in todays world.  Not even my favorite Cohiba, actually not even in my top 5.  Again they are good, just for my tastes there’s better Cohiba as well as from other Marcas.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

I'm blown away by all the CoLa hate so far, following thread with absolute interest 👀

Lol I definitely don’t hate it.  They are terrific when you get a good one.  I’d just rather have others for my taste, which is why I’ve never lost a CoLa 24:24, cause I’ve never ask for a box.  

I definitely admire this cigar and I have been fortunate to smoke various different examples over the years. Currently I have a box resting away at the five year mark but I aim to open it with a little more age down-the-track.

• Thanks 1

I think I had a box of ’03. Not that I’ve had loads of them but I have come to prefer the laguito #2 over the #1. 

I purchased my first box last year or the year before and they will sit for a few more years before I break them out.  I am curious who the 96% are that "get it" if 1/4 or so of the posters here are complaining about them. 🤔  A ruse perhaps?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joeypots said:

I think I had a box of ’03. Not that I’ve had loads of them but I have come to prefer the laguito #2 over the #1. 

This has been my experience as well. I’ve had some stellar boxes of CEs. Lanceros have more often than not been disappointing. 

—Yes I like them.

—Superior to all cigars of similar size except the Fundadores.

—Yes, Cohiba Lanceros changed twice. Once in the 90s when they discontinued the corojo wrapper and again in 2010 when they diverted a portion of Cohiba’s production to the Vegueros factory. As a sidenote, there was no difference in blend between the Vegueros Especiales No. 1 and the Cohiba Lanceros coming out of the Vegueros factory. The rollers simply sent nude Vegueros to Havana. Later on, the factory was finally given bands and boxes to do the packing out in Pinar. 

—An hour fifteen smoking time. Add twenty-five more minutes when the heads and feet are packed liked dowels…which is often. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Hoepssa said:

I remember buying them alot during 2014-17, in that time you can easily find plenty 10+ years boxes in Spain (except in Madrid). I purchased them when I saw them without hesitation.

Quintessential cigar en la plaza de toros. Alongside the Monte A. But any old timer in Spain will not be able to avoid telling you all of them are plugged. Always. 

• Like 1

Can be an outstanding and special cigar. They need at least 5 years to even begin to get there. They are at their best when they are rich with the "deeper" cocoa and bean flavors and less with the honey sweetness/lemongrass. 

Lately I've found them more "pleasant" than "intense". Might be the age but I think these aren't quite as good as they were 8 or 10 years ago. 

On 9/9/2022 at 4:46 PM, Chibearsv said:

I purchased my first box last year or the year before and they will sit for a few more years before I break them out.  I am curious who the 96% are that "get it" if 1/4 or so of the posters here are complaining about them. 🤔  A ruse perhaps?

Technically "getting it" liking it are two different things. I suppose not getting it necessarily means one can't like it. But there are lots of cigars I get and don't like. PSD4 is one for me. A cigar I don't get is the PSP2, and consequently also don't like. 

The CoLa is tough not to get as are most Cohiba. Cohiba DNA and the blends are pretty clear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This must be the cigar I have most unsuccessfully pursued. Never managed to get one from 24:24 despite many timely attempts. I do have one late 2018 box and it’s been great so far. Firm but manageable draws, and increasingly delicious Linea Classica profile. I agree with @NSXCIGAR that the deeper register flavours are what make it special, in combination with the Cohiba sweet citrus.

How much are these in the new pricing structure?

Had a few from an AMP AGO 21 box this year and all have been excellent.   No major construction issues (broke out the PerfecDraw once and quickly fixed the issue).   Flavors have been similar to '21 Coro and Esplendidos I've had, but the CoLas were punchier and more refined.  I'm partial to the sweet notes (honey & citrus), so enjoy smoking them without much age.    Excited to see how they develop in the coming years :) 

• Like 4