Deep Dive: Hoyo De Monterrey Double Corona

El Presidente

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona   

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We are on a Double Corona run these next few days!

The queen of cream? 

• Do you like the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona?
  • Discuss and do the poll!

Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Hoyo De Monterrey Double corona 50 cab HQ (2).jpg

CREAMY! Like mine >=5 years of age. Over years some times I have found them too light, but weirdly it does change depending on the cigar and time of the year I smoke them. I would always pick Lusis over them but still I can’t neglect it’s all time classic appeal and delightful flavor 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I don't have enough of these annually to make a definitive comment either way. One thing I do know, I prefer these to the Escogidos! :lol3:

Thoroughly agree on the Escos. 

The DC has a high floor, so you're confident you'll enjoy it if Hoyos are in your wheelhouse. 

They're definitely in mine, but I prefer the Escongiggidies for a large Hoyo  and Punch for the vitola.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I should add that I find that the San Juans as a good replacement for these.  If you can't find the DC's or you would prefer to pay less, the San Juans are quite similar to me.

Now if only I could find a similar replacement for the Luthy and Punch DC, I would be set :)

• Like 2

My favourite Double Corona. The cab of 50 I have is fairly recent production (from memory, 2020) and they are utterly sublime. For some reason the cigars even shimmer in the light and just taste phenomenal. Without a double entendre :) this is the cream king - just such a pleasant and easy smoke with a ton of flavour.

I love the Lusitania, Punch DC and Gigantes but the Hoyo edges it - which is strange, as I'm not a huge fan of the rest of the Hoyo line and gravitate more towards Partagas, Bolivar and Upmann so it was a surprise how much I enjoyed the Hoyo DC. If only I had a second cab of 50!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, stevenhaugen said:

My favourite Double Corona.

For DC's made in the last decade without a doubt.  Next subject...  They're just wow.  Cannot get enough.  I wasn't as fond of them in the early 2000's.  Just about all the others had Hoyo DC beat, but Hoyo came back like Lazarus.  And not just the DC's; the marca has been hitting on all cylinders for a good bit.

• Like 1

I have a box from 2019 and the taste is pretty good but they are damn near fireproof!   Lots of relights and having to keep puffing -- for my money I have had better luck with the Lusitanias. 

• Like 1

Young with a few years wasn't worth. Sitting on a box of them and they got better of course. Then had another kid and can't touch them now, I just don't have the time. Maybe when things die down and temps are cooler will revisit every once and awhile, definitely not a daily driver. The interplay of cream and wood was interesting to me and enjoyable. More cedar then a Epi. #2 or Petite Robusto. For some reason I found DC's right before I had kids both times. They need a lot of down time with so much tobacco. I guess it's a blessing not a curse.

The spice profile were much more prevalent 10+ years ago.  The nutmeg and Christmas flavors really popped on top of that layer of cream.  Today they are there but it’s underlying and muted compared to the leather, tobacco, and cream.

Ive always been a big fan of the HDMDC, but these are the most Jekyl and Hyde of all the big Cubans.  More likely to get bad box I think, where as I may get the bad stick in a Lusi or RAG (usually construction aided/plugged) but never a bad box.  Boy though, when these are on they are so unique compared to the Lusi, RAG, and Punch that they always have a place in my humidor.  If I had to stack rank, it’s Lusi at 1A, RAG at 1B (closer to tying for first than they are to the 3rd place), HDM Dc at 3, and Punch DC at 4.  

• Like 1

Early on I smoked a lot of them and the HDMDC is a cigar that helped me fall in love with Cuban cigars. I used to buy 50 cabs of Lusitanias, what was my favorite DC, for a weekly card game but that ended and I lost interest in such large vitolas. 

My favorite DC. Plain and simple. Among my favorite sticks period. If I only had more time to smoke them more regularly. I get about one maybe two in a month. Wish it was more. 

I was gifted a 2009 Hoyo DC from a cab and am curious to see how well it aged. Perhaps I’ll fire it up this weekend or next if weather is right.

• Like 1

I've had 20 years plus examples in London and my my, excellent, complex, and beguiling smokes. Wood cream and subtle spices along the way.

Had a recent box code a few months ago. It started off light to medium but was absolutely full bodied by the final quarter. Still very good and flavourful.

What's not to like? An absolute classic cigar. Perhaps not for the inexperienced...

• Like 1

This was on my list of must tries for years. I've only had two from a box of recent production (UPO, ABR 21) so I'm not qualified to account for consistency or blend changes, but both have been thoroughly enjoyable. The only other DC I've tasted has been a Lusi; that was also pleasing to the palate, as my late grandfather would say.

• 1 year later...

Been smoking this cigar for 20 years now and have loved every single stick. Maybe it's me but I have never felt this cigar to be a medium smoke. The recent box I have is dated 2022, and need a bit more time to sit. Fresh out of the box they are quite mild. Taste a lot of hay and woody / cocoa notes. I know over time the flavors do get a bit more tense. 

If I am looking for a long smoke with a cigar that brings me back so many amazing memories, I always reach for this one. With RAG, Lusi and Punch, I would order rank by flavor profile and length of smoke 1) RAG, 2) Lusi, 3) HDM. 

This is a solid 2 hour smoke. The first third just getting started, the next third is a little more robust but tolerable and the last third is what packs the wallop for me with richer flavors. 

All around, if I see one of these on the menu I go for it and maybe pick up one to take home with them. You can never have too many of these in the humidor resting.  

43013a8de003350af86607746dc5bca8.jpg

19bc031acc28a39a338b94ec5083afec.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Simply a great cigar. From about 3 years on they continue to get better. Had a cab that at about 10 years old were a solid 95. The last few after that were even better.

In the other hand, a DB from2020 were awesome too.

• Like 1