Best rum with cigars

R.L Seales. Your pocketbook will thank you. 

Blind taste test with RL against Foursquare. 2019 and Foursquare indelible and Doorly 12.

RL won 8 of 9, then 7 of 7. All dedicated drinkers. Except me, I’m a tee totaler. 😬😎😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dan benhamou said:

Have tried so far:

zacapa

eminente 

Doorly 12

hampden

zacapa my favourite 

The Doorly is fantastic. 

Bundaberg Solera is very good. I still can't believe I am saying that. I usually find Bundaberg sickening

IMG20220813135343.jpg.47dd8bba09d65e90ac6384331a42b8ed.jpg

IMG20210730190131.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

El dorado 15yo for maduro and Bolivar, Partagas, Monte. Plantation XO 20yr Anniversary for Upmann, Diplomatico, maybe Cohiba and Oliva NC non-maduro IMHO. Find rum a bit too overpowering at times though and not fit for HDM, QDO unless mixed or made lighter with Ginger ale, maybe a dark and stormy with Havana Club dark rum.. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When pairing with a spirit, I tend to pair more often with whisk(e)ys. When I reach for a rum for a cigar pairing, it’s generally Havana Club 7. Nice straight up or in a dark and stormy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GaryK 54 said:

When pairing with a spirit, I tend to pair more often with whisk(e)ys. When I reach for a rum for a cigar pairing, it’s generally Havana Club 7. Nice straight up or in a dark and stormy. 

Well, one cannot touch on Dark ‘n Stormy without mentioning Gosling’s. Love their basic Black Seal, while the Family reserve resides more on the sweeter and fruity end. Combo depends on the cigar.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dan benhamou said:

Would anyones answer change if I said just a rum to sip without a cigar?

plantation 20 definitely sounds up my street!

is Havana club 7 drinkable neat?

Wouldn’t really change my answer, for a neat sipper I personally look for ones that aren’t very sweet. I love Havana Club 7 neat, but it all depends on your palate. The best way for you to learn what you like is to try many different things. You might find that you detest Havana Club 7 neat. One of my friends likens it to drinking petrol and for the life of him can’t figure out why I like it better than the cloyingly sweet Bumbu he likes to drink. 

I can't say that these are necessarily the "best", but I have really enjoyed them. Particularly the Grander. This particular Grander bottle is store exclusive 90proof version of what is normally an 80 proof spirit on regular release. I was told by the campessino master distiller that campessino and grander are two of the very few (perhaps only???) rums that do not use any additives, colors, flavors or the likes. 

PXL_20220821_185457421.jpg

PXL_20220821_185446648.jpg

PXL_20220821_185419558.jpg.9c467d645b816a281d52438095d58a4a.jpg.981c2f8a056baad6f424bdfeb10bf5c6.jpg

• Like 3

I used to pick up a lot more rum to pair with cigars and love the Zacapa, Diplomatico, and Zaya. My favorite by far though is Santa Teresa 1796. It has wonderful banana and caramel notes that go great with a cigar. I have found living all over the US that it isn't available everywhere, but worth trying if you see it

IMG_6605_Original.JPG.dd0d517f8b238f9aac6c250994534f20.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sir Diggamus said:

I used to pick up a lot more rum to pair with cigars and love the Zacapa, Diplomatico, and Zaya. My favorite by far though is Santa Teresa 1796. It has wonderful banana and caramel notes that go great with a cigar. I have found living all over the US that it isn't available everywhere, but worth trying if you see it

Agreed a very nice rum

Havana Club selection de Maestros is great, as is El Dorado 15 or 12. HC 7 is better in a Cuba libre. Plantation 5 year if I’m on a budget, but it’s a little sweet. Zacapa and Diplomatico are also tasty.  Lots of great rums to choose from. I’m not a big fan of Kirk and Sweeney though. Never had the Foursquare rum but would like to try it. 

• Like 2