Deep Dive: Vegas Robaina Famoso

El Presidente

Vegas Robaina Famoso   

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: Vegas Robaina Famoso

I am a big fan of the Famoso. I have handed them out to new cigar enthusiasts and old timers and they have never let me down. To me they are rich, complex and "comfortable" in a chocolate brownie type of way. Most people love a brownie ;)

Let's talk Vegas Robaina Famoso 

• Do you like the Vegas Robaina Famoso 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Vegas Robaina Famoso 
  • Discuss and do the poll!

Vegas Robaina Famoso   :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Couldn’t find barnyard so went with earth. Always thought there was something pungent about them I could never describe well.  Decent sticks, haven’t bought them in a couple years.  I’m sure the newer boxes are better than the current box I’ve been slowly working through.

• Like 1

I didn't cast a vote as I had my first Famoso a week or so back that I had brought home from St. Martin. However, it was absolutely horrible, very unrefined and flavorless. It was so bad that it was quite obvious a dud of an example (maybe even fake who knows). I really enjoy the Unicos so I'm sure a normal example of these would be in my wheelhouse. 

If pushed then my favourite cigar, screams class to me. After 5 years they are wonderful, smooth, rich, chocolate with a wonderful slightly sour fruit and salt note.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:51 AM, winelover said:

IMNSHO need 5 years + and preferably longer to really come into their own.

I've never had one older than 5 years. 1-2 mostly. Love them. 

In fact I'm working through a box of 17s right now I found in Cuba. I prefer the 19-21s. 

• Like 1

I have always reached for something else. Tried a few examples in different places I actually smoked one really nice one in Cuba and that is it. Prefer the other Marcas. 

I think Prez’s description of “lush” really nails it for me. A good Famosos instantly evokes British puddings, with a raisin/prune heavy fruitiness and molasses.  I haven’t had the RA stewed fruit profile resonate with me, but the Famosos definitely goes in a direction that I can get behind. 

I guess I'm one of the only 3 who doesn't get the Famoso... I got cocoa/chocolate and a nutty note and that's it, no raisin/prune for me. I found it good but really boring. On the other hand other flavor notes like cream, fruit, cake and shortbread I'm happy to have just that one note for the whole cigar!

I really like the Famoso for the same reasons others have mentioned - has a prune / raisin flavour that pairs perfectly with the cocoa. Don't often reach for this but a wicked change of pace. It's interesting that many have compared this to the RASS... which I don't get at all. I never get the 'stewed fruit' flavour there, can't stand them. 

On 8/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, 99call said:

To me they are the quintessential celebration of cuban tobacco.  Certain products in life can transport to the place of production. When I smoke a famoso, there is a red earthy balminess to them. You can imagine being stood in the curing barn, smoking a farm roll.   They are a great example of when a cigar can be light in strength, but have a richness that makes the cigar bold and characterful. 

They would always be the cigar I would offer to someone asking the question.    "so why it Cuban tobacco supposed to be the best!?"

well spoken! smoked my first on July 4th and have to say I think a good one rivals the Monte 2 for quintessential cuban

On 8/12/2022 at 12:21 PM, SMELTZ said:

Had one yesterday out of a DIC 21 box and it was great.  93 and better than the previous

Been very happy with all recent production through early 22. A bit richer than 17-19. No hesitation buying blind on them. 

• 2 months later...