Deep Dive: H. Upmann Royal Robusto

El Presidente

H. Upmann Royal Robusto  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

H. Upmann Royal Robusto

Forum favourite is an understatement.....and yet I have never really been blown away by the Royal Robusto.  I know I may be the odd man out on this one. :D

Let's talk H. Upmann Royal Robusto

• Do you like the H. Upmann Royal Robusto?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a H. Upmann Royal Robusto?
  • Do the poll!

H. Upmann Royal Robusto! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

H. Upmann Royal Robusto HQ MAR 21.jpg

I like them and like the Edmundo size. Been smoking them since release in 2011. Normally it takes me about an hour or so to smoke one. Due to availabilty I have not purchased a box recently. Still I prefer the 1/2 but would not hesitate to buy a box especially since the recent price increases. 

• Like 2

In fairness, I’ve only ever tried one box but it was such a dud, I wouldn’t buy another. I’d pick any H2 I've ever had over it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not that I've had bad H.Upmann Royal Robustos in the past; it's just that I've had superlative examples of other H.Upmann vitolas by comparison. (As in H.Upmann Sir Winston, Connossieur A, Connoisseur No.1, Upmann No.2 and aged Petit Coronas for starters, off the top-of-my-head!)

• Like 4

I have had many good experiences with this cigar. Each box, I think there I’ve had three, has held a dud or two. There have been a few 5 star ones but not enough to make the RR an all time favorite or one I would chase.

• Like 1

First release was amazing full and rich. The blend seems to have tapered off a little. Received some amazing examples from Smithy, Beautiful rich red oily hue wrappers.  I felt very spoilt plus he knew I would never say no . 

18 months and that's it for me,  smoke them as they are  just coming up to speed. 3 to five my opinion is they drop away considerably. Love the size .  

• Like 1

Interested to see I’m not alone. Big HU fan, probably my favorite brand now that Cohiba are suddenly the Richard Mille of the cigar world….smoked probably a dozen or so RR in my life and never had one that had any appeal to me. I’d say that about LCDH releases in general. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

I’d say that about LCDH releases in general. 

I'm a fan of the LCDH releases.  I bet between Regional's & LCDH's; they make the majority of my boxes.

• Like 2

Never liked them. Very similar in spirit to the Mag 46 which I also don't like. In fact the ones I had seem like a Mag 46 in crisis. Another mushbag of flavors to me like the P2 and Punch SdP. 

I will say the best ones I've had had about 5+ years on them but they really lost some richness by then. 

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I'm a fan of the LCDH releases.  I bet between Regional's & LCDH's; they make the majority of my boxes.

I love it as I hold your taste in very high regard! 

• Thanks 1

Have not voted as I only tried a couple times. See others have a similar experience. I was not too impressed and simply moved on. Would not mind trying another one. 

Loves 'em.  Don't get the hate.  

10 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Never liked them. Very similar in spirit to the Mag 46 which I also don't like. In fact the ones I had seem like a Mag 46 in crisis. Another mushbag of flavors to me like the P2 and Punch SdP. 

I will say the best ones I've had had about 5+ years on them but they really lost some richness by then. 

Heresy!  I'm with you on the Connie 1.  Damn fine.  But the Mag 46, PSdP and P2 are gems. I pity the fool that doesn't keep them on hand.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rcarlson said:

Heresy!  I'm with you on the Connie 1.  Damn fine.  But the Mag 46, PSdP and P2 are gems. I pity the fool that doesn't keep them on hand.  

I know, and I've always found the P2 that way since 06. I have given up on them. Mag 46 I can do with some age as that leather and licorice combo can get pretty tasty. The SdP, it's only been a couple years. Maybe I'll come around to them but so far, a bust for me. Give me the 48 (which, incredibly, is now cheaper than the SdP in Cuba).

I have always found these brilliant (but I do l love Upmann), they smoke like a No. 2 to me. They seem to regularly get better wrappers than the Connie series + I love the 10pk LCDH presentation. I haven't experienced the construction issues that others have.

2011-14 are all smoking lights out right now.

• Like 1

Royal Robusto looks like a serious cigar with the double bands, but I treat them like a casual smoke.  They might disappoint if you are looking for a profound smoking experience.  I am dwindling down on my 2nd box and all of them have burned perfectly for me.

• Like 1

Just now, BrightonCorgi said:

Royal Robusto looks like a serious cigar with the double bands, but I treat them like a casual smoke.  They might disappoint if you are looking for a profound smoking experience.  I am dwindling down on my 2nd box and all of them have burned perfectly for me.

For the #doublebandboyzzzz 😁

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

For the #doublebandboyzzzz 😁

It's been a bit since I bought a box, but I thought they were well priced.  Maybe that is why I went deep on them?  I am cheap SOB

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

It's been a bit since I bought a box, but I thought they were well priced.  Maybe that is why I went deep on them?  I am cheap SOB

They still can be found in the $200 range and I feel it's certainly a $20 cigar.

• Thanks 1