Deep Dive: Montecristo Number 2

El Presidente

Montecristo Number 2   

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Montecristo Number 2 

One of the workhorses of the Cuban cigar world. So if after a nuclear Holocaust the only thing left running around is cockroaches. Then the cigar equivalent for Habanos would be Monte 2 and Monte 4. Jesus, we are almost there :D 

The top 3 selling premium cigars in the world are regarded to be the Monte 4, the Partagas D4 and the Montecristo Number 2.  We have done a deep dive on the Montecristo Number 4 and Partagas D4. Let's dive into the Montecristo Number 2. 

Let's talk Montecristo Number 2 

• Do you like Montecristo Number 2?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Montecristo Number 2?
  • Do the poll!

Montecristo Number 2! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

One of the "classic" Cuban cigars for the novice CC smoker to seek out when on vacation out of the states. When they are good, they are real good. But huge inconsistency and now they are $500/box, way out of my comfort range pricewise. I prefer the #4, classic Monte flavor and prefer the Mareva size to the piramide. But you can't discount the Monte 2 for it's legend status. 

• Like 4

Can be a great smoke with strong cocoa core and overall balance, but flavour ranges from stick to stick and has major consistency problems. I find the VR Unicos are similar but more consistent, and dare I say, also more mediocre. Partagas P2 is probably better overall, but I will go for Monte no2’s more often. This is the Monte for me when I want a long smoke.

A must buy if you can pick the box. I don't see how you can have any kind of collection of Habanos without at least a 10 box of Montecristo No. 2's. 

Unicos are my favorite Pyramid with Upmann No. 2 at the photo finish.  The Monte is in the sprint, just more inconsistent results keep it from higher praise.

• Like 1

They roll ALOT of these. You have to hand pick boxes, factory doesn't seem to matter.

I'd call it #6 in the CC pyramids pecking order- golden-retriever like nicety, but most of the time I come away wishing there was a tad more oomph (like linea 1935)

If I could only smoke one cigar, the Mon 2 would be it. 

Good flavors, rarely any construction issues, great feel to hold in hand, reasonably priced.

Wide range of "passable examples to stellar" makes it unpredictable and therefore always interesting to see what you get.

Most often the wrapper color is just beautiful.

Essential part of my rotation.

Time to light one up!

• Like 4

If I recall correctly from one of Rob's video reviews that he doubts the age worthiness of the Monte 2.  I would have thought that all the ingredients are there for development especially over 5 to 10 year mark.  That said I smoked a TUA ENE 2022 on Monday, recently received from our host and it was fresh as a daisy yet balanced and felt like aged tobacco.  I would love to know why this is?

I like the MC#2 and think they age well. I’ve been loving the DE lately but its tough to beat a good MC#2.

First Cuban I ever had in the 90’s. Seems to have been a different cigar likely a casualty of the changes to the leafs. 
I keep trying them. Even have a box from  a year or two ago from one of Rob’s cigar of the year. Still not doing it. I dip in every three months. No go. Same for another box and a 10er I have. 
I should probably sell them as a lot but I’ll give away to buddies. 
mine of the few I just don’t get. 

This was quite a hard poll to fill out. I have smoked a shit ton of Monte 2’s, not quite as much as Monte 4’s but I think I’ve still smoked through about 20 boxes (25ct) in my time. But, like the Monte 4, they are quite variable. So I had to vote medium body, but sometimes they can be under medium and sometimes medium-full. Flavor intensity I also voted medium, but quite often they can be very rich too. I don’t think I can say I’ve noticed a blend change, too wide of a spread of smoking experience for me to pinpoint.

I smoke them in 1hr 45mins on average

• Thanks 1

This cigar is IMO perhaps the most inconsistent of all CC's.  That said, they are rarely a disappointment.  I have been struck by how truly wonderful they can be, but also how "just good" they can be.  When really "on" (sometimes as the youngest) they are remarkably good (though even then there are rarely -- but occasionally!  -- 3/3rds of progression) -- just either a very, very pleasant experience or just plain pleasant, again IMO.  ...And differences are remarkable from the same box.

Do you like Montecristo Number 2?

Absolutely. I always try to keep at least a few on hand.

Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 

Only similar format cigars I’ve had are RyJ belicoso, which I don’t care for, and Bolivar BF. The BBF is one of my all-time favorite smokes. I wouldn’t count the Monte 2 as a favorite, but I like it in rotation. It has some flavors I don’t get anywhere else.

Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?

I’ve only started smoking Monte 2’s in the last couple of years, so I can’t say.

How long does it take you to smoke a Montecristo Number 2?

This one takes me about an hour and 45.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...