Community Map - Are You On There? Why Or Why Not?

Every now and again, I see new members from my general area in the newbie introduction section.  I am always curios of they are close enough for a meet up, etc.  At last count, there were 23,154 FOH members and only 796 (about 3.5%) of those members are listed on the community map.

Just curious if you are on there and if not, why?

Just now, Corylax18 said:

No. I dont even have "location services" turned on in my phones. I know its a bit "Tinfoil Hatty" but the less information thats out there on my everyday happenings, the better. 

I figure that will be the most common answer and I completely understand it.  Don't need a tinfoil hat to see that point of view :)

• Like 3

Yes, you can opt into it if you want to. Also, you don't have to locate yourself precisely. For me, I chose Sydney which has 5 and a half million people residing in its boundaries, so yeah...it's a big city!

For those members who want to locate the Community map option, it's one of the tabs to the right, on top of each page on our forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m on there. No one terribly close, but seems like plenty of folks within driving distance, especially in Chicago 

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

Yes, you can opt into it if you want to. Also, you don't have to locate yourself precisely. For me, I chose Sydney which has 5 and a half million people residing in its boundaries, so yeah...it's a big city!

For those members who want to locate the Community map option, it's one of the tabs to the right, on top of each page on our forum.

Thanks for pointing this out John. I made it a little less specific, which is nice to be able to do. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, PigFish said:

I don't actually know where the Isle of Man is...! -LOL

-piggy

I remember the first time I watched one of your videos and was wondering why you didn't have some sort of British accent 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I didn't realize I had to go to the map to enter my location.  I thought I had to put my address in my profile but that's not the case. Pretty easy to do on the computer.  Open the map, zoom in to your area, right click on the spot you want to show as your location and then click "edit location".  Done...I'm on the board.

• Like 4

Posting about Cuban cigars was not always benign. Not if you wanted to talk facts about the Cuban government, and their cigar company, certain vendors, writers and their shills. Public posting might find threats to rat you out to certain agencies. Alas, the internet remains the internet…

Public CC forums have not always been this friendly! I admin’d a private forum for many years for precisely this reason.

-Piggy

• Like 4

Put in just the center of my state initially. figured anyone in the area or coming could reach out.

Interesting having just checked, seems it has relocated me almost spot on. Odd..... and somewhat disconcerting. I didn't even update my location when I moved.

Found this on checking:

• This will use a feature in your browser to detect your current location using GPS, Cellphone triangulation, Wifi, Router, or IP address

Maybe we drop this "feature"?

Or allow us to opt out?

At least you are able to change it manually. I'm now in the UK!

Let's see if it reverts.....

Opt out doesn't look like it is available once you have opted in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1