FOH International Blind Tasting 2021 Competition Wrap up

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was extremely unsure of 4, and pretty sure about 5. But that went the other way around I was really sure #5 wasn't a diplo 2. My ranking for #5 was: 1. VR Unicos 2. Upmann 2

Firstly thank you to all participants. This was the best comp yet!  Secondly, thank you to Lisa for running the comp. You are a trooper    The 5 cigars ? 1. Bolivar Petit Corona   

COLLUSION !!!!!!!!!!!!        

2 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

Good work Bijan! ... im quite impressed with my 3/5 ... best ive done yet! Excellent work everyone.... 

Now for the real point... i beleive i am better than @Fuzz ... so thats the only thing that matters...

By a point. I got the first and last cigar, and picked the first as aged. So I scored 2.5. I did think the 4th cigar was aged, but since I got it wrong, it don't count.

And if you saw what I had to go through to pick the last cigar, you'd be amazed. Plugged up the wazoo.

• Like 1

@LordAnubis Here's what I found in my mostly plugged cigar

Tight roll, pic is after I tried to ream it out a bit. You can see the stem/thick vein at the top of the cigar. It ran the length of the cigar.

2021-12-21-21-55-35-928.jpg.0c60f358e92336f84b101f678a57f235.jpg

Wrapper actually split on me.

2021-12-21-21-58-57-526.jpg.d39c668919bad9dafd011e7f43c7b816.jpg

Clipped it several times, massaged it, used the Perfect Draw, but really couldn't really get a decent draw out of it for long. Eventually gave up and took it apart.

2021-12-21-22-15-02-814.jpg.e47a533bf9a81d0ebfdae31929c06c6a.jpg

2021-12-21-22-16-01-874.jpg.abdb47c7135daf69aaec7d800a43abe1.jpg

2021-12-21-22-18-51-495.jpg.9bbaa1054184216a83f9421057dc7d75.jpg

Really packed tight halfway down to the taper. Didn't help that a bunch of stems/thick veins were all located in the back half of the cigar. Pity, as what I could get from it tasted quite good.

• Sad 3

Congratulations to the winners! Hats off!
Thanks to Rob, Lisa and everyone who prepared this competition, it was interesting, informative and funny. Thanks to FOH Team!
The opportunity to try unique cigars and expand personal experience in Cuban cigars is especially valuable. I even came up with the saying "The advantage of Cuban cigars is not only in the stability of stability, but also in instability."
As for my complete fiasco, I will have to make shamefaced excuses, blaming the New Year's congestion at customs for the fact that I missed numbers 1 and 2, the rest I smoked without acclimatization

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Disappointing indeed.

I thought or FOH 2021 Man of The Year was tougher than  that 😁

I will take the blame. I told the team to select Fuzz's  cigars as if they were choosing for Ken.

I got through over a third of the cigar, but I just don't have the diaphragm to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Disappointing indeed.

I thought or FOH 2021 Man of The Year was tougher than  that 😁

I will take the blame. I told the team to select Fuzz's  cigars as if they were choosing for Ken.

i was just about to reply to fuzz that now he knows what i have to put up with when i saw this. 

bit sad the only bloke whinging about the comp is a moderator. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, I totally loved this comp.

First of all, a huge *thank you* to @WarriorPrincess, @El Presidente, Lisa (sorry don’t know your handle), and the rest of the gang. This is unique in the world so far as I know, and you make it happen. 

Of course, big congratulations to @Bijan and @Nevrknow for great picking. Really impressive. But lots of good work out there across the board.

What I most love about this comp is that it cuts right through the bull to what we are really experiencing when we smoke cigars. As opposed to ‘this is X, and it cost Y, so it must be fantastic and taste of Z.’ And it’s good to be kept honest and a bit humble. I have near-identical code boxes of two cigars I didn’t call right! There’s a lot of learning in this comp.

All round really really satisfying. Thanks again everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1