Cigars That Don’t Get Enough Praise

What’s a cigar, that in your estimation either doesn’t receive its due or is perhaps unpopular in some way that you feel is unjustified?

I was just thinking of RyJ Churchill…it’s definitely a stalwart and a fantastic example of Cuban cigars, but in my estimation whenever you hear people talk about the large format cigars it’s often left out of the conversation. Perhaps it’s a case of being more readily available than is other large format counterparts. 

What cigars do you think deserve more credit?

• Like 2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ERDM CS Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair he did name four or five picks in his first post crapping on the RyJ Churchill 😂

18 minutes ago, Bijan said:

RGPC have been very consistent for me I see some praise for the RG Perlas but not so much RGPC and I like that format better and have had good luck with it so far.

@Bijan Top 4 characteristics listed on CCW are Floral, Cocoa, Earth and Honey. Do you recall your general impressions of dominant character? I have never tried these and think I would like to.

20 minutes ago, Bijan said:

RGPC have been very consistent for me I see some praise for the RG Perlas but not so much RGPC and I like the mareva/PC format better and have had good luck with it so far.

Have some 17 RGPC that are just now starting to smoke well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RichG-LI-NY said:

@Bijan Top 4 characteristics listed on CCW are Floral, Cocoa, Earth and Honey. Do you recall your general impressions of dominant character? I have never tried these and think I would like to.

I think those are correct. The earth notes on CCW are probably mostly due to me though 😂

I think traditionally it's supposed to be floral and honey which I get but sometimes they have a bit of a bitter earthy or dark chocolate taste.

I've had a few vintage Rafael Gonzalez cigars and they have been a bit more floral. I guess that might come with age. I think the sweetness/honey peaks and fades after a while.

*Saint Luis Rey

*Bolivar

*Ramon Allones 

*Por Larranaga

*Cuaba

• Like 2

It depends on where they get praise or not I guess, on this forum I feel we like very diverse types of cigars. 

But I would say, with the general cigar smoking public, all small format cigars don’t get enough praise. Especially skinnies. If it’s not a global brand and not over 50 rg, it tends to get overlooked by the non-aficionados. 

• Like 1

I don't think I've seen a universally panned cigar on the forum.  Most gripes are about construction which certainly can be valid - especially regarding RyJ Churchill in my opinion.  And some complaints are about uncomfortable size or excessive mildness which are subjective and certainly not universal. 

If I think about my inventory of cigars that I really like that don't show up too often on daily smoke, I'll agree with @dshot and say JL1 may not have the fans that I'd expect it to have.  Young or old, they are complex and delicious and I've never experienced construction problems with them through multiple boxes.

• Like 4

I definitely agree with JL both 1 and 2. Even though they get a lot of praise overall they seem to be taken for granted a little bit. Off the forum you have to explain to NC smokers that they are actually great cigars and are a habano. If you try to turn them on to one they think you're pawning off a short filler or CC yard gar on them. Until they smoke one...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bijan said:

RGPC have been very consistent for me I see some praise for the RG Perlas but not so much RGPC and I like the mareva/PC format better and have had good luck with it so far.

Agreed. Rafael Gonzalez is almost an invisible marca and the PC is generally very consistent construction wise and flavor wise. I am currently buying up boxes of these, as the price is still an absolute bargain. They are like a milder Monte4, but with a unique burnt sugar/roasted chestnut finish on the palate. Have not tried the Perlas though, they are a bit too small for my liking. Love the Mareva size and smoking duration.

• Like 4

The Montecristo Open line, in particular the Master and Regatta.

They don't get much love at all, but I have really enjoyed all of the ones I have smoked.

Having an Open Regatta for my morning Cigar today in fact

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For current stuff:
Fonseca No. 1
Montecristo A
R&J Belicoso
Upmann Noella
Cuaba Distinguido & Salomones
Partagas Cuelbras

Definitely agree with the fonseca and partagas. Love them both

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Have some 17 RGPC that are just now starting to smoke well. 

Same here--apparently these just need time to get there.   I am thinking another six months or so and they will be ready to shine.