Your Favorite La Casa Del Habanos (LCDH)

Was thinking back on my two and only experiences at the two LCDH stores in Stuttgart, Germany and Cancun and was wondering what everyone's favorite LCDH's were so I can add them to my bucket list of travel destinations once all the CV-19 restrictions are lifted in the hopefully near future.  In addition to favorite store based on experience, atmosphere and stock... which LCDH had the best pricing?

The Stuttgart LCDH was my 1st experience while working in Germany for a few days and it was awesome.  They had a couple rooms of cigars from floor to ceiling, a Cuban room and a mostly non-Cuban room.  The staff was all super friendly.  This was very early on in my Cuban Cigar phase last year and I started with my 1st Monte #2, which wasn't all that great or memorable and I just thought what all the fuss was around this stick.  The 2nd pick was a fresh Trinidad Coloniales boxes a few months earlier.  There was a huge collection of ~100 bottles of rum, scotch and whiskey that was complimentary because the store didn't have a liquor licence.  They had a medium size lounge that could seat ~12 people comfortably.  They also had the largest Fuente Opus X collection I've ever seen with around 20 different boxes/vitolas that don't seem to get much attention.  Pricing was reasonable with the Monte #2 and Coloniales going for 14 Euro each.  A 3 pack of Siglo 5 tubes was ~90 euro, 3-pack of Pyramides Extra ~$110 euro, and most other sticks in the 10-16 euro range.  

The Cancun LCDH was a nice and comfortable lounge with a strong selection and some aged/vintage stock as well.  Pricing was markedly higher than Stuttgart with a Maduro 5 Genios going for $50/stick and a Fundadores going for ~$35.  They had a good selection of regional stock including a few Cuban RE's.  The lounge was great with an awesome bar tender, a few newer massage chairs, an outdoor patio with a view of the bay and close proximity to a couple Mexican restaurants.  

• Like 1

No onsite experiences here, but a shout out to Berlin LCDH for arranging a couple boxes of Escogidos that my visiting sister picked up for me about a year ago....email communications were very pleasant and accommodating, to say the least. 

• Like 1

Gotta love Mojito Dave in Cancun. Arturo (I think) was the manager, he was pleasant and gave good advice.

Wallace at the LCDH in Grand Cayman is a cool guy, and it’s a really neat little shop, hardly any seating though. After a quick google it looks like people have pretty mixed opinions but my experience was good.

• Like 2

The ones in Havana rank as my personal favourites.  I love the Partagas Factory the most.  Followed by 5 y 16 and I enjoy the serene nature of Club Habana. ( I do miss Jorge though).  

Otherwise, I found the one in Rome to be stunning. The only downside? You can't smoke in there and they barely have any cigars in stock!  I was also fond of the now gone Toronto LCDH.  Mostly due to the people working there and the decor.  The soon to be gone Montreal LCDH was the best one in Canada by far. Their lounge was so relaxing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Islandboy said:

No onsite experiences here, but a shout out to Berlin LCDH for arranging a couple boxes of Escogidos that my visiting sister picked up for me about a year ago....email communications were very pleasant and accommodating, to say the least. 

Good to hear.  I spent almost a year working in Berlin and wish I was into cigars back then because that would have been a great spot to post up in during a Saturday afternoon.  I remember where it was located, but never felt inclined to go in at the time. 

2 hours ago, bundwallah said:

The ones in Havana rank as my personal favourites.  I love the Partagas Factory the most.  Followed by 5 y 16 and I enjoy the serene nature of Club Habana. ( I do miss Jorge though).  

Otherwise, I found the one in Rome to be stunning. The only downside? You can't smoke in there and they barely have any cigars in stock!  I was also fond of the now gone Toronto LCDH.  Mostly due to the people working there and the decor.  The soon to be gone Montreal LCDH was the best one in Canada by far. Their lounge was so relaxing.

A Cuba trip is definitely up there in my top trips to complete in the next 12 months.  It looks like the cost of cigars is far more cheaper there than anywhere else in the world since it's coming straight from the lions mouth.  Soon enough...

The only LCDH's I've been able to get to while traveling have been on my trips to Havana.  In no particular order, LCDH Club Havana (Monsdales), LCDH Conde Villanueva (Reynaldo is awesome and the shop is nostalgic), Partagas LCDH (love the VIP lounge although their climate control in the humidor is not very good.. not a shocker in Cuba), LCDH Habana Libre (usually they have some hard to find boxes I haven't seen at other stores) and last but certainly not least, LCDH 5ta y 16 (Carlos Robaina is very hospitable and a cool shop to visit). 

• Like 1

Dubai close to the beach good selection of singles to try from LE to regular production. Can smoke inside or outside only negative is no alcohol served in it.

• Like 1

To shop Habana Libre... I've made some friends there and have had great experiences buying there.

To smoke Melia Habana... It's not that they're the most hospitable of all the shops but I like how quaint it is and if you can grab a seat is a nice place to smoke. Followed closely by El Comodoro (not an official LcDH) and El Conde Villanueva (not sure if this is also a Caracol store or an LcDH)

• Like 1

I have only been to the Cancun LCDH back in around 2006. It was definitely a memorable experience as I finally experienced what it's like to be surrounded by Cuban Cigars (American here?). They also had a copy of the Min Ron Nee book for everyone to use, but it was pretty worn out because of it. The prices were really high which was expected. I managed to get a few sticks of the Edmundo Dante's for $40/cigar. That actually sounds like a bargain now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElJavi76 said:

To shop Habana Libre... I've made some friends there and have had great experiences buying there.

To smoke Melia Habana... It's not that they're the most hospitable of all the shops but I like how quaint it is and if you can grab a seat is a nice place to smoke. Followed closely by El Comodoro (not an official LcDH) and El Conde Villanueva (not sure if this is also a Caracol store or an LcDH)

I’m almost certain that Conde Villanueva is an LCDH. Either way, the little bar is great, as is the paella downstairs. ? My favorites are probably in this order:

Habana Libre, Partagas factory, Melia Habana, Melia Cohiba, Conde Villanueva, 5th ave, Nacional. I’ve never made it to Club Habana...

5th ave is a nice shop, and it’s cool meeting Carlos Robaina, but both times I was there last year, the selection was limited. The Partagas factory is a favorite meeting place for my friends and I to sit and grab a smoke, and their selection seems to be the best in town...

282AF755-43E3-418D-8CFA-FE6032CF808F.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chas.Alpha said:

5th ave is a nice shop, and it’s cool meeting Carlos Robaina, but both times I was there last year, the selection was limited.

The selection there is always subpar, at least since 2017.  Never once did they have anything that wasn't the "tourist cigars"  Last time I went, I didn't even bother going there.

• Like 1

All of the LCDH’s in Havana are my favorites, just because of where they are. I don’t think I could name a favorite.
Favorite place to smoke, though, hands down, is the veranda at Hotel Nacional. 
Agree with the comments on Fincato Roma. 

• Like 3

Habana Libre is at the top of my list due to their consistently solid stock. I get butterflies in my stomach everytime I walk into this shop. 

Can't top the Partagas shop for the nostalgia aspect, but I have found their stock to be basic and geared towards the tourist crowd. 

As far as ambiance goes, I love the Cancun shop. Mojitos and cigars on the deck overlooking the lagoon at sunset is a heavenly experience. It's too bad the cigars are hellishly expensive. 

• Like 1

If I was to pick one. The National backyard as well or the Conde Villanueva. I like outside smoke spots the best. I'll say this from all over the best one's I've been to personally been to ~ they are all in Cuba. Nothing comes close. Really the best place to smoke is out in the tobacco fields in Vinales. I'd take that again over any LCDH.

• Like 4

LCDH at the Melia Habana and the LCDH at the Hotel Nacional.., And always stop in and buy something at the LCDH at Parque Central, small selection but can always fine something I am looking for

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

So of course for me visiting the LCDH locations in Havana are something special. As far as other worldwide locations I always felt super comfortable at the now shuttered Montreal la casa del habanos. I loved the atmosphere, the people, the drinks, everything but the prices. Now when I visit Montreal, Im still in search for a place that was as comfortable as the LCDH on Sherbrooke.

Screenshot_20230517-125509.png

• Like 1