Your best/most memorable cigar experience of January 2020?

54 minutes ago, Meklown said:

Mag 56 EL15 for me. Hadn't had it since I smoked it fresh way back when I first got the box, but Prez's thread on the performance of the 2015 ELs got me wanting to pull one out again. I had it on the eve of Chinese New Year and it was a fantastic smoke. Brilliantly complex, coffee, cream, bits of earth.

I received a single as a gift about 6 months back and it's been chillin' in the humidor ever since... needless to say, the EL 2015 performance thread also had me intrigued, but it's tough to settle on the proper moment to smoke a stick when you only have one.  Either way, the reviews have been stellar so I'm certainly looking forward to it.

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m going with a Trini Vigia on the patio of the Nacional.  The cigar, the setting, the company and the music were all just perfect.  The “agua con gas” with lime was even excellent. Life gives you mo

Thanks to @Thirds...wasn't expecting much, was pleasantly surprised. Detailed review to come later (in a few weeks...in the Daily Smoking thread).

The ARS 19 Fundadores from the Christmas sampler was fairly brilliant.

5 days off the clock in Mexico with a couple friends - always grabbing a stick whenever I head out (either SCDH El Principe or PL Panetela). It went a little something like this:

wake up whenever

start the day off with a margarita or pina colada

venture out for fish tacos

seek out a (mostly) deserted beach

walk along the malecon to watch the sunset

more fish tacos

mescal, a couple mexican lagers, and then more mescal

sleep

repeat

• Like 4

I had a super busy January so didn't have a lot of chances to smoke cigars. I did have a memorable cigar night with JohnS on his deck in Sydney smoking a QD'O 54. Wonderful supper with his family, great cigar and FOH conversations!

Thanks for the hospitality John!

• Like 3

damn... color me intrigued

A very dry cigar in terms of sweetness through the first third lots of fresh baked bread, evolved to have more vanilla woody sweetness in the second and final third. Lots of nuts, umami mushroom and a meatiness to it. The closest Cuban I would compare it to is an aged punch double corona on steroids. Oozing with finesse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lant63 said:

A very dry cigar in terms of sweetness through the first third lots of fresh baked bread, evolved to have more vanilla woody sweetness in the second and final third. Lots of nuts, umami mushroom and a meatiness to it. The closest Cuban I would compare it to is an aged punch double corona on steroids. Oozing with finesse.

sounds fantastic.  I tend to enjoy (and frequently seek) sweet flavors in my cigars, but ironically, I think the most surprisingly mind-blowing smoking experiences I've had have been with dry, earthy, savory cigars with mildest hints of sweetness.  Cigars are like food to me in that sense... umami is king

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rckymtn22 said:

I had a super busy January so didn't have a lot of chances to smoke cigars. I did have a memorable cigar night with JohnS on his deck in Sydney smoking a QD'O 54. Wonderful supper with his family, great cigar and FOH conversations!

Thanks for the hospitality John!

It was my pleasure. This is what is truly wonderful about our community around the world, the ability to wind down and fraternise over a fine cigar. (It's) Priceless!

• Like 3

Party short. Memorable because it is the only cigar I smoked in January. Too cold here. I' am off to Aruba tomorrow, so I will have more to contemplate for February's most memorable thread. My vacation line up is going to be good.

• Like 2

Had a Diplomatico #2 from 2014 and a  a RP Hamlet Tabaquero in salomen (initial launch box) on the 9th when my brother and were golfing at the TPC Champions Course in Scottsdale.  It was 65 when we were golfing.  It was 5 (Fahrenheit) back home.

The cigars were great, I shot 1 over par.  And beat my brother.  Went to Grimaldi's afterwards

Don't think I could ask for a better day.

• Like 2

After several Months of trying to get some QD'O 50 or 54 I was able to get a box of 50's at the end of October MSA MAY 19.  They looked amazing and after waiting 60 days I was chomping at the bit to smoke one.  It definitely lived up to all the hype and was true to the flavor profile associated with it.

• Like 2

ARG MAY 14 Monte Petit Edmundo.  Steal of a deal on a ten pack here a few months back, then Rob puts out a video with Ken and says these things peak at 3-5 years.  I was pretty dismayed.  This cigar was awesome, so I can only imagine what the peak was like if I missed it!  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, Monocle said:

Afternoon Monsdale with a Crystal on the Hotel Nacional’s back patio admiring the friendly peacocks.

I love that back patio there. Had a CoRo there that was memorable. Sounds great!

On 2/6/2020 at 6:36 PM, Lunettesman said:

Vigia APR 2019. Just...well...a great smoke!

Definitely the best ‘19 regular production I had. Didn’t seem to need any sleep.

On 2/7/2020 at 6:12 AM, dshot said:

I love that back patio there. Had a CoRo there that was memorable. Sounds great!

It was! Coffee was underwhelming but the eye candy made up for it. 

My first (and second and third...) Pesos cigar.

Punched about 100x above it’s price class. Forget all your JLP, LFDC, and even Quinteros.

4a9e5e7168ec0317e76e553a64b9cbc0.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Thirds said:

I’m going with a Trini Vigia on the patio of the Nacional.  The cigar, the setting, the company and the music were all just perfect.  The “agua con gas” with lime was even excellent. Life gives you moments that stick and this was certainly one of them.  

9D253361-241E-4BC0-9BB5-3AC9AAE9588A.jpeg

Probably can't get any better than that! 

• Like 2

Nudies.  Both #1 and #3. From the throwback refrain of the #3 to the bright vibrancy of the #1, these are a home run, no matter which one you fire up. If you get a fresh batch, be sure to let them rest for a bit. Not long. Your nose will tell you. 

My hat is off to Rob and Hamlet for what they've done here. Freaking brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 4:47 PM, foursite12 said:

Nudies.  Both #1 and #3. From the throwback refrain of the #3 to the bright vibrancy of the #1, these are a home run, no matter which one you fire up. If you get a fresh batch, be sure to let them rest for a bit. Not long. Your nose will tell you. 

My hat is off to Rob and Hamlet for what they've done here. Freaking brilliant.

I am a month late on this thread, and a month late trying the #1, or maybe four years late, as this is my leap year morning smoke.     You nailed it--so glad I got these.