One pick... your greatest album of all time?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue. 

No doubt this thread exists in some form or another somewhere on here, but there's no harm in revisiting a topic like this - especially when I can't be bothered battling the "quirky" forum search func

if we leave out collections, greatest hits, best of.., (which i'd probably pick for the desert island so i had "more" to listen to), i'd go 'darkness'. would accept 'born to run'. also love 'the rising'. 

non-bruce, 'desire' or perhaps 'blood on the tracks' from his bobness. but then again, desert island, i'm taking 'masterpieces'. 

• Like 2

Saw the topic, and my first thought was Dark Side as well. The documentaries about it in the last 10 or so years have made me appreciate it even more. There are some other albums of equal significance, but I like this one the best. 

• Like 1

beach-boys-smile.thumb.jpg.3ef71fc85745e66800840f721c7a06f2.jpg

The one album I listen to the most, ahead of The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, is their well-intentioned late 1966/early 1967 follow-up, SMiLE (yes, it is italicised like that).

The reason the Beach Boys are so good on the ear during this golden period is because Pet Sounds is an ode to Bach and SMiLE was intended as an ode to Gershwin. The reason it was cancelled in mid-1967 was due to a number of factors, the main one being the technical difficulties involved in arranging music in parts and splicing bits together to form songs. So, for example, Good Vibtations took six months to make in different parts and then it was mixed and spliced together, imagine doing that with another 11 songs for an album.

Eventually Brian Wilson released SMiLE as a solo artist in 2004 and in 2011 the Beach Boys finally released SMiLE usung modern technology to splice songs together (although some vocals were never originally completed).

I think this album has had a big impact on me musically is due to its complex arrangements over many simple two-chord movements. I think I still continue to learn something from it every time I listen to it.

5ff8b447c2f8d43a2f7df108be23474e.thumb.jpg.806e380746b4516cee0683020794133a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Picking ONE greatest album? Why not just ask us to pick our favorite kid? Lots of my favorites have been named. Going To California is one of my favorite songs. When I was a teen, I probably listened to Ten nonstop for 2 years straight. I probably went through a dozen cassettes of it. *Cassettes* That word is so old that spell check doesnt even know what it is.

• Like 1