In another life...your alternate career paths

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Confession time...I've always fancied the idea of running a clothing boutique! ? There, I've said it.  Now I don't spend a lot of money on fashion. I did when I was a young man; you had to have t

Stuntman, but got too fat    Rock star, but I hate dealing with egotistical guitarist.    Radio disc jockey, but I didn't study hard enough. 

I always thought that one day I'd be a lumberjack, with my best girl by my side. Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

I am a criminal defense attorney right now...I want to be a motorcycle mechanic and run my own shop.  If I win the lottery, that is just what I will do.

I also could have been an interior decorator or a landscape architect... :)

Gotta say though, I love being a criminal defense attorney. 

• Like 2

I do some boring photography for outdoor advertising company as one of my 4 jobs (Realtor, Loan Officer and Loan Processor are the others) . I would have figured out how to be a photographer for Rolling Stone or Playboy! 

• Like 1

*Well, while I'm quite happy with the professions I have lived, worked and made it through (whew!!) for me the alternative would have been in medicine, first. I say "medicine" because just like my late aunt, she wanted to go into nursing, etc. but she couldn't make it through sticking needles in folks! So that was out for her. I love the healing professions, but uhm, yeah - I'd have to find other ways to practice that wouldn't involve cutting on folks! Second - every but everybody who knows me has suggested that I should get into car sales, particularly used cars. Everybody from my mom to my co-workers...even passengers who would see me dealing with difficult persons on the MARTA trains - sometimes dealing with two at once - would all say to me, "You should sell cars!" Once, one of my co-workers was trying to get me to do something I didn't want to do. And even though I knew he wasn't serious, he kept coming up with inarguable reasons for me to do it - and I kept retorting with still sensible sounding reasons to the contrary. He finally sighed, looked at me in wonder and said, "Janet, you should sell cars; you could sell shit sandwiches! And the people would be standing there eating it, going "Mmhm...mmhm...yeah (mimicking somebody with their mouth full and holding a sandwich)...tastes - different!" 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

But it does make me wonder, whether I am, subconsciously, a little light in the loafers. ????? Lol. 

Fashion is often used to attract a mate. You see this in nature often where the males of a species tends to be prettier. Maybe being fashionable is more manly than we realize. If true, however, then I'm not very manly.?

As far as the question at hand, it is hard to say for sure. I am currently a chef in a high end resort chain...well executive sous chef to be exact. I enjoy what I do but often wonder if the is another vocation I would enjoy more. I've thought about opening my own cigar lounge but I don't want to spend hours everyday in a smoke filled room. I would have to have a killer ventilation system with air purification. It would be like the ultimate hang out with a full size pool table, dart boards, full bar, numerous TVs, a quiet area for those who like to read and smoke and we would serve food. A pipe dream that would require a lot of space and isn't a good business model but the question wasn't based in reality anyways.

• Like 2

Guest Nekhyludov

Astronaut. I'm middle aged, 15 lbs. overweight, and smoke too many cigars, but I still apply for the astronaut training program when it opens every four years :lol:

2 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

Confession time...I've always fancied the idea of running a clothing boutique! ? There, I've said it. 

Now I don't spend a lot of money on fashion. I did when I was a young man; you had to have the right jeans and wear the right labels to be part of the crowd, but I've long outgrown that and now go for value/quality ratios and functional pieces mainly. But I actually pick out outfits for my wife when she shops and reckons I have an incredible eye for it, and good taste to boot. I love pouring over fashion emails and magazines. There's just 'something' about clothes, shoes, and accessories that I must love. 

Barring a medical issue (long legs and a failed medical - that's a story for another day) I was destined to become a pilot in the RAF. I'm now an engineer in the defence industry. All pretty male-dominated stuff. 

But it does make me wonder, whether I am, subconsciously, a little light in the loafers. ????? Lol. 

What else have you ever thought about doing...if you had your time again?

Great topic.  You know you could actually start a tiny business on the side, maybe with 1-2 wealthier clients. You could become a private fashion consultant, all referral business only. Never know who will like your style. Lots of men out there who hate shopping. 

In an alternate universe, I would have gone on to play professional football (soccer) in one of the European leagues. And made tons of money. Having played in the international 18-under football cups representing my country throughout my youth, I played against some of those famous world cup players (now mostly retired).  

I also wanted to be an international espionage agent...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nekhyludov said:

Astronaut. I'm middle aged, 15 lbs. overweight, and smoke too many cigars, but I still apply for the astronaut training program when it opens every four years :lol:

File:Jonny Kim portrait (cropped).jpg

You'll have some tough competition...

"Oh, so what do you do?"

"I'm an astronaut."

"Interesting, what did you before that?"

"I went to Harvard med and became and ER doc."

"Fascinating, what did you do before that??"

"I was a Navy Seal." (where he incidentally earned a Silver Star)

"..."

Image result for jaw drop

I had a former Challenger astronaut teach some of my graduate molecular biology classes.  I've known all kinds of brass in the military.  Judges, lawyers, blah, blah, blah.  No other single individual has impressed me as much as this guy.  

If I could have a do-over, I'd try the career path he's paved for himself.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest Nekhyludov
10 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

I had a former Challenger astronaut teach some of my graduate molecular biology classes.  I've known all kinds of brass in the military.  Judges, lawyers, blah, blah, blah.  No other single individual has impressed me as much as this guy.  

Agreed! The few astronauts I've met have been genuinely impressive people. I like to think I've done OK for myself, but I am not in that league.

I play drums for a living so I can’t complain too much there but as with all things when you’ve been doing even a sweet gig forever it can become a bit of a drag. I also teach music and sound design for video games at a local university.

With that all being said, if I could do it all over again I would buy a boat and slang BBQ ribs to folks on kayaks here in Seattle over the summer. Actually I probably don’t need to do it all over again to fulfill this dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm an Exercise Physiologist on the medical side in this life. I've liked to cook, grill/bbq and try different recipes since I was a youngster. I actually do 95% of the cooking, gardening and food shopping in my house. I often think I would have liked being a Chef of some sort. Nothing fancy just have a nice little restaurant.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dominattorney said:

I would probably go hard at practicing golf and take a shot at being a teaching professional. 

Been there, done that...20 years in the golf business.  Now, doing accounting work for a living.

In an alternate universe...I would have gone to Oklahoma University and become a meteorologist/storm chaser...that was my destiny derailed...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lomey said:

I'm an Exercise Physiologist on the medical side in this life. I've liked to cook, grill/bbq and try different recipes since I was a youngster. I actually do 95% of the cooking, gardening and food shopping in my house. I often think I would have liked being a Chef of some sort. Nothing fancy just have a nice little restaurant.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm the same. I do the shopping and cooking 99% of the time. I love it, but I think the stress of being a chef is high. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeyBones777 said:

Fashion is often used to attract a mate. You see this in nature often where the males of a species tends to be prettier. Maybe being fashionable is more manly than we realize. If true, however, then I'm not very manly.?

As far as the question at hand, it is hard to say for sure. I am currently a chef in a high end resort chain...well executive sous chef to be exact. I enjoy what I do but often wonder if the is another vocation I would enjoy more. I've thought about opening my own cigar lounge but I don't want to spend hours everyday in a smoke filled room. I would have to have a killer ventilation system with air purification. It would be like the ultimate hang out with a full size pool table, dart boards, full bar, numerous TVs, a quiet area for those who like to read and smoke and we would serve food. A pipe dream that would require a lot of space and isn't a good business model but the question wasn't based in reality anyways.

I've also toyed with setting up a lounge. Just not enough smokers in my part of the world to make it viable. 

• Like 1