New Añejados - RyJ Churchill Tubo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find this edition of the program a lot more plausible than previous incarnations... it didn't seem all that believable that HSA would have rolled cigars in unique vitolas and had them stored somewhe

I had one at Manuel's in Zürich last week. Firstly the place, very friendly staff, great drinks selection, very nice lounge with a modest sized humidor. Don't talk about prices, its Switzerland, every

Who’s the proud owner of a box of ‘07 and ‘11....? me me me me me ? Awkwardly though, I tried the first of the ‘11 box tonight. They have been through the freeze and rested for 45 days. I wa

On 7/2/2019 at 4:25 PM, El Presidente said:

The cigars to date have bordered from awful to good. Most skewed to awful. 

The Upmann Robusto Anejado came out with three different box codes. 07 11 and 17. 

Who’s the proud owner of a box of ‘07 and ‘11....?

me me me me me ?

Awkwardly though, I tried the first of the ‘11 box tonight. They have been through the freeze and rested for 45 days. I wanted to hate it because I naively bought these when I could’ve had so many other better options for 50 toward the limit (like more boxes of ‘16 SLR Regios) But...., it was honestly quite good. I enjoyed it much more than the Siglo II I’m having right now (and it is quite good, too...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who’s the proud owner of a box of ‘07 and ‘11....?
me me me me me
Awkwardly though, I tried the first of the 11 box tonight. They have been through the freeze and rested for 45 days. I wanted to hate it because I naively bought these when I could’ve had so many other better options for 50 toward the limit (like more boxes of ‘16 SLR Regios) But...., it was honestly quite good. I enjoyed it much more than the Siglo II I’m having right now (and it is quite good, too...)

I have had 2 singles of the upmann robusto. Not sure the box code but I really enjoyed them.
That 17 box code is just strange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My visualization of how the Anejados program was created: "Hey boss, what are we gonna do with all those old boxes of sub-par cigars in the warehouse?". Boss: "Let's create a program to release them at crazy $$$ prices...if the cigar world will buy our ridiculously priced ER & ELs, they'll surely buy these beaters..." ?

On 7/5/2019 at 7:06 PM, torsion said:

I have a friend who tried one this week and he's said it's the best of the Anejados releases yet.

and this year's award for the Low Bar goes to ...

i suspect that if this one is not a success then we might never hear of this program again. 

is 'anejado' spanish for 'utter crap that we had no idea what to do with'? 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also think the Anejados program is a waste. After buying a box of the HUpmann and a box of the Partagas along with smoking the Monte ( won't touch the HDM after Rob and Ken's review). 

However that may be, after reading a few reviews of the Tubo, I bought a fiver off 24:24 and it is on the way. Will be put into the wineador for 30 days before trying the first one.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I recently had my first from a ‘07 box. Overpriced, certainly. Good cigar, pretty much. Not worth the upcharge but definitely tastes like a nicely aged RyJ Churchill.

19 hours ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

I suspect Cuba will soon use NC wrappers owned by Altadis.  Maybe it's already happening.

Huh? Why do you think this? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

I suspect Cuba will soon use NC wrappers owned by Altadis.  Maybe it's already happening.

44 minutes ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

Altadis makes NC brands with Cuban names.  And Altadis owns like 50 percent of Habanos. 

A conspiracy theory of sorts?  Altadis didn't start those NC brands with Cuban names, they acquired them prior to acquiring half of HSA, so I'm thinking there's still very little interconnectivity between the NC brands and the CC brands of the same name, despite now falling under the same umbrella to some extent.  And, assuming Habanos SA (whose bread and butter has always been Cuban puros) has retained relative autonomy even though half the company was acquired, I doubt they'd allow it to happen.  And even if Altadis' original management retained some autonomy themselves after being acquired by Imperial Brands, I wonder if it's still them in the HSA boardroom or if Imperial has assumed the role of voting with that 50% share.  Regardless of who's pulling the strings, it seems like a risky move to try sneaking NC wrappers on cigars touted as 'Cuban puros'.  Surely that info would leak out somewhere eventually and a veritable s*#tstorm would ensue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Squiggler said:

Regardless of who's pulling the strings, it seems like a risky move to try sneaking NC wrappers on cigars touted as 'Cuban puros'.

Not to mention, I haven’t heard that wrapper leaf is so scarce in Cuba, that it must be imported from other countries with inferior wrapper leaf. 

1 hour ago, Markspring1978 said:

Not to mention, I haven’t heard that wrapper leaf is so scarce in Cuba, that it must be imported from other countries with inferior wrapper leaf. 

It's a rumour that has been mentioned on our forum, say...in the last 3 to 6 months but with little attention. This is probably due to the fact that it was quickly discredited (by other members).

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, Monocle said:

I recently had my first from a ‘07 box. Overpriced, certainly. Good cigar, pretty much. Not worth the upcharge but definitely tastes like a nicely aged RyJ Churchill.

Still waiting to set fire to one of mine.   I never had a RyJ Churchill so I wonder if I should grab some of those so I have some to compare them to.

18 minutes ago, BeerPimp said:

Still waiting to set fire to one of mine.   I never had a RyJ Churchill so I wonder if I should grab some of those so I have some to compare them to.

Oh, you definitely should. Recent Romeo y Julieta Churchill has been simply sublime, in my opinion.

Okay I'm missing something...awhile back I picked up 4 aged RyJ Churchill tubos from El Pres, and prior to this post I'd have sworn they were Anejados. They were excellent smokes well worth the $30 price tag. They tasted nothing like other Churchills I've had. What was I smoking? 

I’ve smoked two of these and they were both great experiences. Doesn’t quite justify the price tag IMO, but I was surprised to dive in to all of the hate the forum gives the Anejados program having smoked one of these. I’d say it’s worth trying one, but not worth picking up a box when you could spend that $600-700 on Bond Roberts.

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why the RyJ Churchills are almost twice the price of the Monte Churchills...

I can't imagine what they're going to want for the upcoming Fundys. $800 over/under?

4 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why the RyJ Churchills are almost twice the price of the Monte Churchills...

I can't imagine what they're going to want for the upcoming Fundys. $800 over/under?

Monte has Churchills?

8 hours ago, Smokecigareveryday said:

Monte has Churchills?

2 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

how far back do you have to go to find a monte churchill? (even in LE, RE, whatever)

It was part of the first release Anejados (Aged) program in 2014. That year Habanos S.A released the Montecristo Churchills and Romeo y Julieta Piramides. The Montecristo Anejados Churchill is funnily enough still available at the present time, if you look hard enough! (Although it continues to carry a premium price point.)

• Like 2