What peeves you off in a B&M

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cigar retailers who label Cuban cigars as garbage and inferior to their Nic, Dom, and Hon counterparts. And they tell you if you are buying Cubans online, they most certainly are fakes. Also watching

There's nothing more that irritates me than arrogance and the automatic assumption that I know nothing about tobacco.

"That's PLUME, sir." "Cuban cigars? They're nothing special." "Have you tried Gurkha?" "I'm going to ring you up and then play with my phone for 3 hours while every ashtray in the

Overhumidification - extremely common in France. Breaks my heart to reject moldy box after moldy box.

Telling me mold is plume.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tksamtec said:

There is a local here that runs humidifiers to keep their RH at around 70%...but they don't use distilled water.  There are mineral deposits on most and many cigars that aren't a big seller for them.  The shop tries to tell people those mineral deposits are plume too.

They’ve found the secret sauce to plume generation, cherish these cigar aficionados.

High prices, over humidified cigars... 

Worst experience at a B&M:

I was just looking to pickup a few singles, walked into a smaller local cigar shop and a bunch of guys were having what looked to be a "movie night", 12 or so guys in chairs taking up most of the space in there, blocking access to cabinets along the walls. Lights weren't all on so couldn't see very well. Eveyone looked bothered to see me, along with the dbag employee who I could barely tell who it was... I left without buying anything and never stopped again. 

There is a cigar lounge close to me that won't let you cut or toast the foot of a cigar purchased from their humidor.  When you pick a cigar, they ring it up at the register, cut it and toast the foot for you.  I'm not kidding.  Never went back again. 

Now how about a good lounge experience story!  There is another lounge above a local steakhouse that only has a small walk in humidor with a limited selection.  Not a very big place, maybe room for 20 people.  They allow you to bring in your own cigars and make a great old fashioned.  We always have maybe one too many cocktails and leave the waitstaff a nice tip for allowing us the freedom to relax, watch a ballgame and smoke any cigars our hearts desire.  The staff is never pushy and take good care of their clients.  Proud to support them when the weather is cold here in Michigan.

• Like 2

NO MATCHES!  

Visited a place in Miami this past weekend- while checking out I ask for matches.  In unison, the two guys behind the counter exclaimed “no matches!”  Not that I care too much- a use a lighter 99% of the time but, never been to a shop without matches (head scratcher)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:
  1. "That's PLUME, sir."
  2. "Cuban cigars? They're nothing special."
  3. "Have you tried Gurkha?"
  4. "I'm going to ring you up and then play with my phone for 3 hours while every ashtray in the room overfills."
  5. "Smoke removal system? What do you think this is, the Taj Mahal? FEEL YOUR WAY THROUGH THE SMOKE."
  6. "That TV is tuned to FOX NEWS and ALWAYS FOX NEWS."

I don't get the Fox News reference.  What's wrong with Fox News?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't get the Fox News reference.  What's wrong with Fox News?

To answer this would break one of the forum rules: no discussion of US politics :)
  • Like 4

Here in the states like other people have said the word “Cuban cigar” is a two worded cuss word to them. Almost every cigar B&M store will bash them. Of course they will, they can’t sell them!! Which I would politely say to them and then they usually stop talking. 

I hate having a member of staff following me around the store. It’s great to be asked if I need any help when I arrive, but when I say I’m just browsing that’s not an invitation to stand next to me and talk about anything I may look at. This goes for any store though, not just cigar B&Ms. I almost always end up leaving a store like this within 60 seconds as I find it so off putting 

• Like 1

Not being given enough time to browse before being treated like a lost lamb! I don't pick up many sticks from B&Ms because of the price but its a nice thing to do now and then. When I do it I want to take my time walking around the humidor as I rarely go in knowing exactly what I want. For some B&Ms this seems to be a signal that they should push whatever random cigar they want on me. A discussion about flavours is fine but this pushy behaviour is not!

- insufficient staffing......i.e.  having to man the till, and not wanting to leave you alone in the humidor. On one occasion, i've had to leave and re-enter the humidor every 5mins, with the door relocked......just plain stupid.

- insufficient supervision.....  I've newbies in WIH before, trying to jam shut 50cabs, ripping the cigars to bits.   Staff should always be available to politely step in, and say. "it's ok, I'll take care of this"

- Refusing to open boxes, unless you buy........this is just insane. 

- Too wet, too dry, all boxes open on display........all bad ideas

- Trying to sell me Anejados

- not knowing....or wanting to know anything about cigars

- Teasing.......having private members stash on open top shelves.......A, it's an annoying tease, and B, If it were my stash, I wouldn't want 10-15 people a day, grabbing my boxes, and opening them, before being put straight that they're not for sale.

- Having no table space to open and inspect boxes......just stupid

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 99call said:

- insufficient staffing......i.e.  having to man the till, and not wanting to leave you alone in the humidor. On one occasion, i've had to leave and re-enter the humidor every 5mins, with the door relocked......just plain stupid.

- insufficient supervision.....  I've newbies in WIH before, trying to jam shut 50cabs, ripping the cigars to bits.   Staff should always be available to politely step in, and say. "it's ok, I'll take care of this"

- Refusing to open boxes, unless you buy........this is just insane. 

- Too wet, too dry, all boxes open on display........all bad ideas

- Trying to sell me Anejados

- not knowing....or wanting to know anything about cigars

- Teasing.......having private members stash on open top shelves.......A, it's an annoying tease, and B, If it were my stash, I wouldn't want 10-15 people a day, grabbing my boxes, and opening them, before being put straight that they're not for sale.

- Having no table space to open and inspect boxes......just stupid

Would you like me to speak to Foxy? :D

Kidding! just kidding !!!

The most professional team that I have ever run across. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Would you like me to speak to Foxy? :D

Kidding! just kidding !!!

The most professional team that I have ever run across. 

I have to say,  although I don't buy my cigars in the uk  (because i'm not a financial self harmer) I am very proud that as an experience for tourists, it's super professional, full or heritage, and welcoming.   Whilst this can be true in other countries in Europe, it can be far more variable and sketchy

9 hours ago, David88 said:

I hate having a member of staff following me around the store. It’s great to be asked if I need any help when I arrive, but when I say I’m just browsing that’s not an invitation to stand next to me and talk about anything I may look at. This goes for any store though, not just cigar B&Ms. I almost always end up leaving a store like this within 60 seconds as I find it so off putting 

I have spoken to a couple of cigar shops about this. They usually only follow customers around if they don’t know them. Once you are known to a shop they leave you alone. Too easy for people to nick product. They typically have to sell 3-4 cigars to make up for 1 stolen stick because of high tax rates  

11 hours ago, VRATJV07 said:

There is a cigar lounge close to me that won't let you cut or toast the foot of a cigar purchased from their humidor.  When you pick a cigar, they ring it up at the register, cut it and toast the foot for you.  I'm not kidding.  Never went back again. 

Now how about a good lounge experience story!  There is another lounge above a local steakhouse that only has a small walk in humidor with a limited selection.  Not a very big place, maybe room for 20 people.  They allow you to bring in your own cigars and make a great old fashioned.  We always have maybe one too many cocktails and leave the waitstaff a nice tip for allowing us the freedom to relax, watch a ballgame and smoke any cigars our hearts desire.  The staff is never pushy and take good care of their clients.  Proud to support them when the weather is cold here in Michigan.

Please tell me that its not Secreto in Ferndale lol. Also, is the second Big Rock? Lets meet for a cigar.

20 minutes ago, Lant63 said:

Please tell me that its not Secreto in Ferndale lol. Also, is the second Big Rock? Lets meet for a cigar.

Bingo on both.  Shoot me a PM.  

• Like 1

Not making a purchase or a visit an experience.  Most cigar shops are not super busy, so why not put the extra effort into the customers that are walking in? 

I went to a big local cigar shop in Waltham, MA once to buy fluid for my lighter; possibly other stuff too.  I happen to be on my bike and walked into the store at 10 AM.  He said I could not bring my bike into their empty store.  Now, I will not ever go into that store nor would I buy anything from them; even if they were giving it away. 

When someone comes in with bike; they are not browsing...  A little accommodation can go a long way.

13 hours ago, Bucky McSwensen said:

Its reality entertainment.  Same as when they play the e! channel in nail salons.  Just tacky.

I guess the question is what does Fox have to do with it? It’s all ? on any of the reality tv news stations geared for the mindless viewer.

“Your Cubans are crap......Your Cubans are dried out......Your Cubans are fake.” @El Presidente I need you to work on these boxes you keep sending me. ???

I cannot stand the cigarette windbags bleating tirelessly about their version of the truths of the world whilst overfilling the room full of noxious smoke.

I have 3 B&M's in Victoria. One I avoid expressly for the reason above.  The 2nd one has great selection but uninformed staff, so if the owner's not in I usually pick my cigar without issue and pay/leave.  The last one has a great selection and knowledgeable/keen owner who is always in, and it's an absolute pleasure to go in and talk cigars with him for 20 mins while I pick a cigar.

What's the third one?  The two I've been in the few times I was in Victoria are Goodfellas and Cuban Cigar Shop.  Been to Goodfellas 2-3 times.  Landed on both somewhat clueless person years ago and one who seemed well-informed this past year, both pleasant.  Only have been to CCS once, person working there (the owner, I presume, older gentleman) seemed somewhat standoffish, but was very nice and knowledgeable once I started talking to him.   Bought my first Mag 50 off him to walk around a few years ago. 

EDIT:  Wait, is the third one the tourist trap near the water, on that strip where the people fresh off the cruise boats walk?  If so, that's where I took this picture in 2017.  Sorry, it's blurry, I took it quickly and through a window.  The "humidor" (AKA: borderline jungle environment, it smelled so musty in there) is all the way in the back of the store.  I went to warn one of the employees that they may want to do some maintenance back there, and of course got the "Are you sure that's not plume?" nonsense.

fece37b69e4035af793365d6179d7874.jpg