What peeves you off in a B&M

19 hours ago, JohnnyCigar said:

1) Not letting me smoke what I bring when I am spending money on cigars, beer, or accessories. 

2) Bashing cuban cigars

Thia. I was a locker member at a local b and m and spent around 250 300 a month there. They had an awkward conversation with me at a Christmas party about smoking cigars that I didnt buy from them. Also they constantly say that the cc smell irritates them. I left on new years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cigar retailers who label Cuban cigars as garbage and inferior to their Nic, Dom, and Hon counterparts. And they tell you if you are buying Cubans online, they most certainly are fakes. Also watching

There's nothing more that irritates me than arrogance and the automatic assumption that I know nothing about tobacco.

"That's PLUME, sir." "Cuban cigars? They're nothing special." "Have you tried Gurkha?" "I'm going to ring you up and then play with my phone for 3 hours while every ashtray in the

5 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

. Also they constantly say that the cc smell irritates them. I left on new years. 

What??   People fine with the smell of cigars from one country, but not another. What a bunch of ? ends

3 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

I guess the question is what does Fox have to do with it? It’s all ? on any of the reality tv news stations geared for the mindless viewer.

“Your Cubans are crap......Your Cubans are dried out......Your Cubans are fake.” @El Presidente I need you to work on these boxes you keep sending me. ???

I cannot stand the cigarette windbags bleating tirelessly about their version of the truths of the world whilst overfilling the room full of noxious smoke.

Yeah, forgot about that. Cigarette smokers coming into cigar lounges to light up and make us cigar guys choke on their smelly crap. 

Early hours are definitely a pet peeve of mine, as others have mentioned I tend to find myself most interested in a lounge later in the evening. Unfortunately this seems more or less universal, so I’ve gotten used to it. As a younger cigar smoker and someone who doesn’t wear business attire on a day to day basis I also get irritated when I enter a new B&M and am treated dismissively. Once a few years ago I was looking for a Davidoff later in the evening and the only cigar shop that’s i found which was still open and stocked them was in Beverly Hills (a 30 min drive for me with no traffic). I showed up with 30-40 min of their business hours to spare to find a locked door. There was still an employee behind the bar (standing still, not cleaning) and an older gentleman in a suite smoking a cigar. The employee looked over at me when I tried the door, so I stood there for a moment, and he just stared at me. Didn’t even bother to come over and tell me that they were closed or hosting a private event or anything, just stared at me. Now I can understand closing a bit early or if he had told me the lounge was closed for the evening but that absolute dismissal really irked me, and I’m confident that had I been older or dressed differently I would have been treated differently. The reality is though that i was going to step in the humidor grab a $25 cigar and leave in 5-10 minutes and couldn’t even get the time of day.

1 hour ago, dominattorney said:

Thia. I was a locker member at a local b and m and spent around 250 300 a month there. They had an awkward conversation with me at a Christmas party about smoking cigars that I didnt buy from them. Also they constantly say that the cc smell irritates them. I left on new years. 

Was this down in the Springs? I've only been to one lounge there, I cant remember the name, but its the "underground" "speakeasy" kinda place. I've never rented a locker from a cigar shop, but the first "Cuban" I smoked (not sure it was real) came out of the owners personal locker at a shop here on the southside of Denver.

If I want to smoke at a lounge there are 2 that I like close to me. There are several others that are OK in a pinch. My biggest pet peeve is poor storage conditions, usually too warm and WAY to Humid. Its like a liquor store with warm beer coolers. I just cant trust you anymore. It also bugs me when people don't let you smoke what you've brought. I've only had one really bad incident with this, and I was asked to leave the lounge about 1/3rd of the way into the cigar. I bought over $20 worth of cigars from their humidor and a drink. Then went to light up the cigar I brought and was told it was against the rules. (its no illegal) I put down my cigar grabbed one of there's from the bag and started getting it ready to light. When the attendant walked away, I took the band off what I wanted to smoke and lit it up. About 5 min later the employee came back and saw that I had disobeyed him and became visibly angry. I may have been a bit condescending when I told him I was surprised he didn't have anything better to do than ruin my evening. Regardless, I was asked to leave very shortly there after. 

• Confused 2

58 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Was this down in the Springs? I've only been to one lounge there, I cant remember the name, but its the "underground" "speakeasy" kinda place. I've never rented a locker from a cigar shop, but the first "Cuban" I smoked (not sure it was real) came out of the owners personal locker at a shop here on the southside of Denver.

If I want to smoke at a lounge there are 2 that I like close to me. There are several others that are OK in a pinch. My biggest pet peeve is poor storage conditions, usually too warm and WAY to Humid. Its like a liquor store with warm beer coolers. I just cant trust you anymore. It also bugs me when people don't let you smoke what you've brought. I've only had one really bad incident with this, and I was asked to leave the lounge about 1/3rd of the way into the cigar. I bought over $20 worth of cigars from their humidor and a drink. Then went to light up the cigar I brought and was told it was against the rules. (its no illegal) I put down my cigar grabbed one of there's from the bag and started getting it ready to light. When the attendant walked away, I took the band off what I wanted to smoke and lit it up. About 5 min later the employee came back and saw that I had disobeyed him and became visibly angry. I may have been a bit condescending when I told him I was surprised he didn't have anything better to do than ruin my evening. Regardless, I was asked to leave very shortly there after. 

North of the springs. South denver area. To be fair, the management has changed recently and it is much more welcoming. 

• Like 1

I think you know which of the two you mentioned are the two that I visit, our experiences are pretty close. CCS is great, and the owner can be a bit odd until you start talking to him, but he's a pleasure once you break the ice. Goodfellas does a lot to support the local Cigar community, and they put on events multiple times a year that I am heartened to see.  They hosted Hamlet last time he was in Victoria too, back in 2016, I spent a wonderful few hours there that night!

The Third one is Old Morris, it is in the Downtown, across from the Bay Centre (or Eaton Centre, for those of us who remember Eaton's!) It is a ripe shame what's become of it, as it's over 100 years old and has a beautiful ornate gas lighter in the center of the room that is constantly lit (even though you can no longer use it to light your cigars).  It caters exclusively at this point to tourists and the cruise ship crowd, and it's humidor is indeed a rainforest.  Never Never Never Never Never buy anything there. Commission-driven clueless staff. The fact that they carry my favorite men's cologne line (Truefitt and Hill) does not redeem them in the slightest.  They took a treasure of a cigar store (that I bought my first ever CC from - a Sancho Panza Sanchos back in 2008) and are driving it full-speed into pathetic oblivion.

12 hours ago, PhilB said:

What's the third one?  The two I've been in the few times I was in Victoria are Goodfellas and Cuban Cigar Shop.  Been to Goodfellas 2-3 times.  Landed on both somewhat clueless person years ago and one who seemed well-informed this past year, both pleasant.  Only have been to CCS once, person working there (the owner, I presume, older gentleman) seemed somewhat standoffish, but was very nice and knowledgeable once I started talking to him.   Bought my first Mag 50 off him to walk around a few years ago. 

EDIT:  Wait, is the third one the tourist trap near the water, on that strip where the people fresh off the cruise boats walk?  If so, that's where I took this picture in 2017.  Sorry, it's blurry, I took it quickly and through a window.  The "humidor" (AKA: borderline jungle environment, it smelled so musty in there) is all the way in the back of the store.  I went to warn one of the employees that they may want to do some maintenance back there, and of course got the "Are you sure that's not plume?" nonsense.

fece37b69e4035af793365d6179d7874.jpg

• Like 1