WINNER & RESULT ANNOUNCED!! 50/50 FOH's Weekly Poll Comp: #7

50/50 Poll #7  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i found it - please ignore if of no interest. it does not mention peanut butter, but it does mention cigars. it was a piece i did for a mag a while back. colin is an old mate and he and i occasionally

Smooth. I can never look at crunchy peanut butter without being reminded of a story a friend told during his rotation through the geriatrics ward. Patient was suffering from fecal impaction and wore a

i don't like peanut butter. sorry, but i don't. i can eat it if there was nothing else (whereas vegemite should be used to clean car engines). if i had to choose, crunchy. but not fond of it. and

Smooth here. Surprised again at how close they are. 

I have a couple of peanut butter sandwich technices I’d like to share. 

The first, I “originated” in college (I have no doubt this has been independently discovered by others).  

You take equal parts peanut butter and jelly (grape is my favorite) in a small mixing bowl and whisk them together and spread the mixture onto your sandwich bread.  This is the technique I use for my boy who likes to separate the two pieces of bread and selective eat the jelly.

The othe is to butter one side of bread completely, and then spread peanut butter on just the periphery of the other slice.  Then jelly in the middle. When sandwiched together, it seals in the jelly and prevents it from being squished out.  

I make too many meals out of PB&J.  And tater tots and chicken nuggets.  Without them, I would be a failure at parenting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thirds said:

I’m 40 years old and no one can convince me there’s a more balanced sandwich than a PB&J: gotta be grape jelly and SMOOTH Peter Pan on Wonder white bread.  It’s the perfect sandwich. 

Try peanut butter with Nutella.

Very, very hard question.

I ended up choosing smooth. BUT, I do like it crunchy, and if I were to choose crunchy, I would prefer a light crunch rather than a chunky crunch.

Sometimes I like a spoonful of creamy peanut butter before a workout just to have something in my stomach. I’ve heard about vegimite, I don’t think I’ve seen it in the US, I’d give it a try, I heard Australians love it, what’s it taste like?

while on the topic of peanut butter, david slays goliath. 

the judge is one of my best mates (if i ever end up in court, i have photos!!!). 

Bega wins battle with Kraft over duelling peanut butter jars

Darren Gray
By Darren Gray
May 1, 2019 — 11.28am
  •  

Australian manufacturer Bega has won a legal stoush with American food giant Kraft over the use of distinctive yellow packaging for its important peanut butter range.

Wednesday's Federal Court ruling is a big victory for Bega which has targeted the ten of millions of dollars Australians spend on peanut butter as it aims to become a "great Australian food company".

Kraft had accused Bega of engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct over the marketing of its peanut butter.

Kraft had accused Bega of engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct over the marketing of its peanut butter.Credit:Bloomberg

The principal dispute in the complex case centred on who owned the "peanut butter trade dress", currently used by both brands.

Trade dress is considered an important identifier of a product, operating like a trade mark, and in this case was agreed to be: "a jar with a yellow lid and a yellow label with a blue or red peanut device, with the jar having a brown appearance when filled".

Advertisement

Both companies currently sell their peanut butter to Australian consumers in jars that are strikingly similar and in this case counter-sued one another for misleading and deceptive conduct under Australian competition and consumer law.

Bega is "exclusively entitled" to use the yellow lid and red and blue peanut label.

Bega is "exclusively entitled" to use the yellow lid and red and blue peanut label.

Bega, which is best known as a dairy company, got into the peanut butter business in 2017 when it bought the Kraft subsidiary Mondelez Australia (formerly called Kraft Foods Limited). Under the deal Bega acquired the peanut butter business, assets and goodwill of Mondelez.

Kraft told the court that the distinctive "peanut butter trade dress" was never Mondelez's to sell. It also said that Mondelez had a licence to use the peanut butter trade dress, but that expired at the end of 2017.

Justice David O’Callaghan concluded that Bega had acquired "all rights" to the peanut butter trade dress when it bought Mondelez.

Cate Nagy, a partner in the intellectual property team at King & Wood Mallesons, said the judgment was highly significant.

"Because what it does do is confirm the valuable nature of unregistered trade marks, such as trade dress... which the court has found form an inseparable part of the goodwill of a business," she said.

We look forward to continuing to produce and supply our customers with our much-loved peanut butter products.

Bega statement

Ms Nagy said the value of registered IP rights had been well recognised for a very long time, "but what this really does is underscore the valuable nature of unregistered trade marks".

Kraft said it was disappointed at the decision and was considering its options.

Bega's share price jumped as much as 8 per cent on the news before closing at $5.32 an increase of 5.14 per cent for the day.

In a statement Bega said: "We look forward to continuing to produce and supply our customers with our much-loved peanut butter products. Bega Cheese will review the lengthy Federal Court judgment and make any necessary further announcement following this review."

Justice O'Callaghan noted that in today’s market, only peanut butter manufactured by Bega was available at major Australian supermarkets.

This is significant, because major supermarkets account for about 80 per cent of peanut butter sales in Australia.

"The major supermarkets have declined to stock the new Kraft peanut butter manufactured by the second applicant (H.J. Heinz, a subsidiary of Kraft Heinz), citing the likelihood of consumer confusion. Both products are, however, still available at smaller, independent supermarkets," Justice O’Callaghan said.