Does Box size effect aging?

Ok I am looking to get some Cohiba siglo vi and was wondering if a ten box will age as well as a 25 box as the 25 had them in contact with each other and the ten has a cedar sheet between the 5? I swear I saw in a video with Dr joe he said something about a bundle has more contact with each other and helps with aging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no expert on aging cigars, but I’ve read many references that suggest a 50 cab is preferable to a 25 for long term storage. So it appears size may matter in this case.

• Like 1

With the inconsistencies between cigar to cigar, I don't think it matters in the real world. 

On paper, possibly, but in reality there are so many variables that it isn't even possible to test. 

I'd just get what your budget sets at what quality you can afford.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WABOOM said:

Dr Joe is a coke head that gave up on cigars. I wouldn't trust his opinion.

haha never thought about that, but it does explain why I found listening to him, like fingernails down a chalkboard........so many words........so little captivation

• Like 1

I have wondered this as well. We all want 50 cabs of Lusitanias but cant type fast enough. Would it make sense to acquire empty cedar cabs and fill them with the contents of dress boxes? I have 27 Esplendidos left from 2 orders of 15 in cardboard sitting as singles in my humidor. Should I find an appropriate cedar box and place them in there to allow them to age further or am I overthinking it? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bsubtown said:

I have wondered this as well. We all want 50 cabs of Lusitanias but cant type fast enough. Would it make sense to acquire empty cedar cabs and fill them with the contents of dress boxes? I have 27 Esplendidos left from 2 orders of 15 in cardboard sitting as singles in my humidor. Should I find an appropriate cedar box and place them in there to allow them to age further or am I overthinking it? 

I would not consider this overthinking. I've found lots of 'deals' on cardboard packed cigars 5-10y old that I'm almost always disappointed in. Cardboard seems to sap up the oils etc. 

I wouldn't go get custom boxes, but quality wood boxes for repacking is pretty standard in my humidor. Davidoff boxes are pretty easy to come by and a extra cedar slip for love.

What about Tubos?

I’ve read mold concerns in relation to Tubos, but if we’re just talking flavor, where do Tubos come in? The answer to that should lead to some theories about aging with or without contact to other cigars.

3 hours ago, BJRPorter said:

What about Tubos?

I’ve read mold concerns in relation to Tubos, but if we’re just talking flavor, where do Tubos come in? The answer to that should lead to some theories about aging with or without contact to other cigars.

I’ve always found that tubos age slower and retain a lot of young qualities for much longer...imo

• Like 2

I like less air circulation for aging, rather than more.  So a cab has less opening area than a dress box, and certainly lacks the paper wrapping of a dress box.  However if you never open the thing, or even better, shrink wrap it; a cedar cab of 10 ought to be about the same as a cab of 50 in terms of aging with the difference being in the 'recipe;' one has more cigars, less cedar and vice versa.  

This is all subjective on my part.  Wish I could figure out some compound to measure over time that would objectively track aging.

8 hours ago, Tollickd said:

Jesus don’t even know how to reply to that!

I'm sure Jesus would say, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..." or some other politically correct phrase. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Tollickd said:

Ok I am looking to get some Cohiba siglo vi and was wondering if a ten box will age as well as a 25 box as the 25 had them in contact with each other and the ten has a cedar sheet between the 5? I swear I saw in a video with Dr joe he said something about a bundle has more contact with each other and helps with aging?

The only thing that really that affects aging is oxygen. Followed by time, temp, airflow, storage conditions, and humidity. Box size in respect to aging is one of those attributes that should be the very least of any worry. Get the humidor in check first and you’re good to go.

I don't sweat these minute details any more. Keep the environment stable, and the rest will magically take care of itself.

For what it's worth, cabs have more exposed grain wood/cedar, so once they are acclimated they may play a very minor role in keeping the humidity around the cigars stable. Dress boxes however are lined with paper glued to the wood, so they may not be as effective at regulating humidity. 

Someone mentioned wrapping your boxes in wax paper. I've been wrapping my long-term storage boxes in packing shrink wrap. I don't know if it actually does anything for aging, maybe it slows it down a tad, or maybe it does nothing, I don't think there is anything conclusive. However, in my little mind I think it might help prevent a beetle infestation, or at least limit the spread of it should there be an outbreak. But again, inconclusive. If nothing else, the shrink wrap is a reminder to me that I froze the box [check], inspected it and allowed it to climitize [check], and designated it for aging [check]. So when I rummage through the wineador I know which boxes I'm smoking from (no shrink wrap), and which are resting (wrapped). Sleep easy. 

20 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

I don't sweat these minute details any more. Keep the environment stable, and the rest will magically take care of itself.

For what it's worth, cabs have more exposed grain wood/cedar, so once they are acclimated they may play a very minor role in keeping the humidity around the cigars stable. Dress boxes however are lined with paper glued to the wood, so they may not be as effective at regulating humidity. 

Someone mentioned wrapping your boxes in wax paper. I've been wrapping my long-term storage boxes in packing shrink wrap. I don't know if it actually does anything for aging, maybe it slows it down a tad, or maybe it does nothing, I don't think there is anything conclusive. However, in my little mind I think it might help prevent a beetle infestation, or at least limit the spread of it should there be an outbreak. But again, inconclusive. If nothing else, the shrink wrap is a reminder to me that I froze the box [check], inspected it and allowed it to climitize [check], and designated it for aging [check]. So when I rummage through the wineador I know which boxes I'm smoking from (no shrink wrap), and which are resting (wrapped). Sleep easy. 

That is actually a great idea. I think I'm going to get a shrink wrap just to use for cabs. Any recommendations? 

2 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

That is actually a great idea. I think I'm going to get a shrink wrap just to use for cabs. Any recommendations? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741BZSV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had something like this already from a prior move years ago, and I was getting low, so I bought this one from Amazon. But I have not used it yet. 

On 5/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, WABOOM said:

Dr Joe is a coke head that gave up on cigars. I wouldn't trust his opinion.

You now him personally? Or just bashing him. WOW

I for one of many have found his videos good...harsh but informative

• Like 1