Does Box size effect aging?

On 5/1/2019 at 1:51 PM, Tollickd said:

Ok I am looking to get some Cohiba siglo vi and was wondering if a ten box will age as well as a 25 box as the 25 had them in contact with each other and the ten has a cedar sheet between the 5? I swear I saw in a video with Dr joe he said something about a bundle has more contact with each other and helps with aging?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cigar size matters in the aging process. Smaller, thinner cigars age faster than longer fatter cigars, imho. I leave my cigars in the boxes they came in and haven't had a problem. My Siglo VI tenets are awesome. Tubes can be awesome containers for aging cigars but the seal of a tube slows the process down considerably. And, I've had some real dog rocket tubos, no stretch of time will fix lousy cigars.  I focus on the cigar first and how to age it second. There is quite a bit of info, or at least there used to be, about how to determine if a cigar is suitable for aging. And, BTW, we hear things like aged 18 months. It usually takes a bit more time than that for me.

19 minutes ago, joeypots said:

we hear things like aged 18 months. It usually takes a bit more time than that for me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with 18 months fresh if that is what you like. It's a matter of personal taste, everyone is different. If the cigar tastes good ROTT or 3 months or 3 years, then have at it, seize the opportunity and enjoy it. There is no fixed prescription on this, so smoke whatever pleases your palate.  

I personally prefer to wait 3 years or more, so right now I'm smoking 2015 and older. But I'm fortunate to have some reasonably older stock to smoke from, and I'm in no rush to crack open my younger boxes. For others 18 months may seem like an eternity if they have a small humidor or can't source older stock.

58 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with 18 months fresh if that is what you like. It's a matter of personal taste, everyone is different. If the cigar tastes good ROTT or 3 months or 3 years, then have at it, seize the opportunity and enjoy it. There is no fixed prescription on this, so smoke whatever pleases your palate.  

I personally prefer to wait 3 years or more, so right now I'm smoking 2015 and older. But I'm fortunate to have some reasonably older stock to smoke from, and I'm in no rush to crack open my younger boxes. For others 18 months may seem like an eternity if they have a small humidor or can't source older stock.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 18 month either.  I wouldn't classify a box of cigars that are 18 months old as aged. 

45 minutes ago, joeypots said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with 18 month either.  I wouldn't classify a box of cigars that are 18 months old as aged. 

yeah, 18 months is a freshie. Most suppliers consider anything under 5 years of box age as regular stock. Some suppliers start charging a small premium for 6+ years, and will usually call them "vintage" when they have 10+ years of box age. 

13 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0741BZSV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had something like this already from a prior move years ago, and I was getting low, so I bought this one from Amazon. But I have not used it yet. 

Interesting. Is this just as good as the food shrink-wrap devices? I imagine it's quicker/easier/cheaper? 

All my partial box stuff for aging is consolidated into suitable cabs simply to save space. Full boxes, be they dress or cab are obviously left as is. The whole ' aging' collection (250+ sticks) is in a very large vacuum seal bag that's designed to shrink duvets for storage. This also prevents the lovely aroma escaping as it's all in the back of a wardrobe upstairs which I've worked out as having the most stable temperature in the house year round.

Sent from 47171 Lempo 

On 5/4/2019 at 12:13 AM, Derboesekoenig said:

Interesting. Is this just as good as the food shrink-wrap devices? I imagine it's quicker/easier/cheaper? 

You may be thinking for vacuum sealing, versus shrink wrap. In either case, I think the objective is to minimize air exchange with the cigars. I haven't done direct comparisons, but provided you make a decent seal with the shrink wrap I think the outcomes from vacuum sealing and shrink wrap would be very similar, but without the excess bag hanging off the sides. I always thought the excess bag part is very awkward, and in my limited space humidor it would greatly reduce my storage capacity. YMMV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

You may be thinking for vacuum sealing, versus shrink wrap. In either case, I think the objective is to minimize air exchange with the cigars. I haven't done direct comparisons, but provided you make a decent seal with the shrink wrap I think the outcomes from vacuum sealing and shrink wrap would be very similar, but without the excess bag hanging off the sides. I always thought the excess bag part is very awkward, and in my limited space humidor it would greatly reduce my storage capacity. YMMV.

That is a good point. I guess I had always seen vaccuum sealing and not many people who shrink wrap. Space is very important...maybe i'll try the shrink wrap and see how I feel about it

i have always understood that cabs were better for long term ageing, so presumably a 25-box better than a ten.

but, and if i may sidestep the defamation of some poor sod who may or might not be a forum member, surely you answered your own question. you want to buy siglo VIs. if you can make a choice between the two box sizes then presumably you are able to afford the 25 box. in which case, why is there any further discussion? 25 siglo VIs will always be better than ten siglo VIs. to be honest, i don't care if they are aged in an old egg carton, 25 trumps ten. 

2 hours ago, luvdunhill said:

I would surmise the 898 box format is the best for aging. No way to know for sure though.

According to MRN, the 898 box that is varnished is ideal for aging as the lacquer prevents the wood from breathing and thus assists with a slower maturation  process.