What is the current supply situation in havana stores?

I was talking with a distributor yesterday who shook his head at the continued lack of supply coming out of Havana.  That is nothing new albeit we were hoping that it would improve this year. That does not look like it is going to happen unfortunately. 

It concerns me that with things getting harder in Cuba  (blackouts,  gasoline restrictions, food shortages), they will seek to target their only export  actually performing well........Tobacco.   We have already seen one significant price increase this year. We certainly afford for that to happen again next year as the Government chases and additional revenue that it can. 

So back to my initial question......what are LCDH Havana shelves looking like right now?

Not sure right now but I'll let you know Monday.

Off to print Yul's latest price list....

I returned April 5th after an 8 day stay in Havana.  Prices haven't gone up.  Over the course of those days, my girlfriend and I visited a TON of stores and smoked quite a few cigars in each.  In many trips to Havana, this is the first time I've really "lingered" in stores.  I'm pretty sure I saw some boxes labeled FoH waiting for pickup... ;)

Best selection overall:  No such thing.  I found Cohiba Esplendidos in the Melia Cohiba but no Cohiba Robustos and in the Melia Cohiba they had Robustos, Siglo IIs, but no IVs and no Esplendidos.  Explaining to my girlfriend that we had to go back to Miramar to buy a box of cigars that I saw the day before because the didn't have it at any of the stores we visited "today" made her INSANE...and she's from El Salvador.   But that's nothing new.  Her vote for favorite place was Cohiba Atmosphere in the Manzana de Gomez.  Classy place.  

I picked up 8 boxes of cigars.  I opened all 8 before I left the store, after I bought them.  6 of the 8 upon opening were beautiful.  2 of them were not great and I asked to exchange them for different ones.  No problems at all.  The new ones were great.  3 of the boxes were 2014 Rafael Gonzalez La Perlas  from LCdH Habana Libre.  

Can we talk about the quality of singles these days?  They used to open a box and once the box was gone, they'd open another.  Now all the wrappers are different colors, different quality and, well, I'm not gonna go there.  Then there's the cigars that are available ONLY in singles but they don't have any boxes available.

I could keep writing but I'll cut it short.

• Like 1

Edit: never mind - should have read the subject line :hole:

I can only comment on the usual online retailers and stock has actually gotten better. QdO 50, for example.

3 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

Not sure right now but I'll let you know Monday.

Off to print Yul's latest price list....

Yul's not updated since February.

I'll apply these to see how it is shaking out:

Official HSA increases for 2019 effective April 1. 

Cohiba P9 Size (Esplendidos, Lanceros, Piramides Extra, Siglo VI): 8%

Cohiba all others: 5%

Cohiba Behike: 13%

Quai D’Orsay: 8%

All Other Brands: 4%

Small Size all (Minis, Clubs, Puritos, Short): 0%

9 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Edit: never mind - should have read the subject line :hole:

I can only comment on the usual online retailers and stock has actually gotten better. QdO 50, for example.

50's in both 25's and 10's are available on current lists. 

From the export lists there are currently no Esplendido/Lancero/III/V/898/54.......it goes on and on and on. CORO are thin on the ground as well.  This is of course this weeks lists as opposed to what is on retailers shelves. 

Hence the reason for the question on LCDH's in Havana. 

+....where are those Behike we saw rolled in Feb  :D

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I was talking with a distributor yesterday who shook his head at the continued lack of supply coming out of Havana.  That is nothing new albeit we were hoping that it would improve this year. That does not look like it is going to happen unfortunately. 

It concerns me that with things getting harder in Cuba  (blackouts,  gasoline restrictions, food shortages), they will seek to target their only export  actually performing well........Tobacco.   We have already seen one significant price increase this year. We certainly afford for that to happen again next year as the Government chases and additional revenue that it can. 

So back to my initial question......what are LCDH Havana shelves looking like right now?

Is it possible with "food shortages" that they have decreased tobacco production in favor of increasing crops for food? People do have to eat to live. Cigars are not edible!

1 minute ago, NYgarman said:

Is it possible with "food shortages" that they have decreased tobacco production in favor of increasing crops for food? People do have to eat to live. Cigars are not edible!

Tobacco crops have a 2 year lag time. They have actually increased production of tobacco over the past 4 years. There should be plenty of leaf.  Something else is going on. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

50's in both 25's and 10's are available on current lists. 

From the export lists there are currently no Esplendido/Lancero/III/V/898/54.......it goes on and on and on. CORO are thin on the ground as well.  This is of course this weeks lists as opposed to what is on retailers shelves. 

Hence the reason for the question on LCDH's in Havana. 

+....where are those Behike we saw rolled in Feb  :D

From what you mentioned, I saw  Espléndidos, and Lanceros, IIs were easy to come by as were  Vs a few 898s.  But I had an eye out for 54s and not a box to be found in all of Havana.  Plenty of 50s.  I don't ever remember seeing any IVs.  I did see VIs at 5th Ave in Miramar. 

Anyone wanna chime in their thoughts the availability of Montecristo 80s & Dantes, Punch Regios de Punch, Partagás Serie No. 1 and Talisman available in singles but boxes, "no hay"? 

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Tobacco crops have a 2 year lag time. They have actually increased production of tobacco over the past 4 years. There should be plenty of leaf.  Something else is going on. 

I also believe they have the supply. Maybe Cuba is creating an artificial scarcity because they realize the $$ potential and only releasing small% of their actual supplies?

1 hour ago, shippers said:

Could it be a logistical problem rather than a supply one? With things getting harder perhaps resources are being redirected to other things and cigars are stuck in boxes... doesn't make much sense I know...

I was just wondering that. They might have the cigars/leaf available but do they have the other part of the product we overlook eg boxes/bands or even shipping infrastructure such as mastercase boxes/freight payments? 

By the recent 'Cuba being Cuba' records being set who knows what issues are going on behind the scenes

• Like 1

As far as my limited intel goes.

A lot of importers are looking at diminished supply of the ‘good stuff’. Some are starting to see a bottom line effect. 

Re tobacco farmers, if Cubatabacco changes their payment from CuC’s to Moneda Nacional and the timing from more or less OK to whenever, it comes as no surprise to me that some prime fields now contain vegetables rather than tabacco. 

2 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I was just wondering that. They might have the cigars/leaf available but do they have the other part of the product we overlook eg boxes/bands or even shipping infrastructure such as mastercase boxes/freight payments? 

By the recent 'Cuba being Cuba' records being set who knows what issues are going on behind the scenes

I'm curious as to the source of the wood and such for the boxes. I know bands are made over in Europe. Does Cuba import the wood for boxes and cedar dividers? Or is it all procured from the island? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ritch said:

I bet they are stockpiling leaf to be able to release more aged cigars that they can sell for more.

Not sure the country can afford to do that right now

From what I’ve heard there is currently a shortage of everything from food to gas and everything in between 

The issues in Venezuela are not helping the people of Cuba in any way

These are my notes from my December 2019 trip FWIW...I didn’t take many pics inside stores for concern it would create issues but got a video in Libre and a photo of the small store in the Riviera across from Meli Cohiba.

Visited

Old Partagas - worst selection

Conde de Villanueva

H Upmann

Havana Libre - best selection (only place with fundys and had 24 boxes total)

Hotel Nacional

Melia Habana

Comodoro

5th Avenida

Melia Cohiba

Habana Riviera next to Melia Cohiba

Club Habana closed on Sunday

Arrived at Habana Mercaderes right after it closed and the shop attendant said, “you want to buy?” And I thought he would open back up to let me take a peek. Nope. He tried to sell me fakes from his friend.

Only DC cabs were Punch cabs. 8 at Libre, 2 at Melia Cohiba, 1 at Habana Riviera, 2 at Melia Habana - all mid 2017 and same box code (forgot the box code)

Only Cohiba CoRo was Melia Cohiba (just 1). Only Siglo 25s were Siglo II at 5ta Avenida.  Mostly Exquisitos. Maduros at Libre

Conde had the most RA Supps and HURRs. Comodoro had some RyJ LCDH. Punch and Bolivar LCDH at Mercaderes

Nacional would not let anyone in the humidor and staff was just mean on day one.  Second day found HUSW once door was open - 4 total boxes, all same TRU AGO 18 codes.  Otherwise, everyone else let me browse.  Staff was cheerful and helpful at Libre, Melia Cohiba, and Conde.  Alex is not in at Comodoro on Sundays. Same with Yolanda. Got to meet Reynaldo. All let me open before buying and all agreed to facturas, although I had to convince Nacional that I had bought at least 50 to give me one because I only got the 1 HUSW box there.

Everywhere had PLPC and Connie As. Almost everywhere had QDO50. Nacional only place with QDO54. Vigia and Reyes almost everywhere. Coloniales about half. Big Lusi stashes at Libre and 5ta. Gigantes at H Upmann, Libre, 5ta and Melia Cohiba. Pretty empty all day. I was the only one shopping in Libre, Melia Habana, Melia Cohiba, 5ta, Nacional (both days) and Riviera. Two different Dutch groups were after Sig VI. No HUSW boxes anywhere except Nacional tucked behind other boxes (4 total). Only 2 898 boxes, both were at Libre.

B71BA7A7-D11E-450D-9388-B468662E69C4.thumb.jpeg.ddf3413c30ef68fca75006c0886f545d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was there a few weeks ago for the first time in 2 years and it was shocking. Appalling even. Sad state of affairs. Nothing “special” to be had. If you are going to Havana to shop for cigars your making a mistake. Very dumb on the part of Cuba. They should reward cigar tourism. I miss the old days! 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

I was there a few weeks ago for the first time in 2 years and it was shocking. Appalling even. Sad state of affairs. Nothing “special” to be had. If you are going to Havana to shop for cigars your making a mistake. Very dumb on the part of Cuba. They should reward cigar tourism. I miss the old days! 

I'm sure there are enough people that have been flipping long enough to where they are getting all the premium boxes. I wish I could've visited Cuba in the 90's or even early 2000s up until '08 or so. I bet it is completely different than it is now. Oh well, still fun to go on the hunt!

5 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Was gonna go next week. I think I’ll hold off. 

On 4/25/2019 at 6:54 AM, Corylax18 said:

We'll check out the Nacional and Comodoro shops this afternoon. We should have time tomorrow to hit another handful. I'll try to grab some photos/video as well. 

Any good/bad/indifferent news from your shopping experience so far? I'll be there in a month. Want to get a sense of what I'm in for. 

Trinidad Fundadores/Coloniales. Cohiba Robustos/Coronas Extras boxes. Esplendidos, Siglo V & Siglo VI singles. All available and some stateside now.

Monte Linea 35 everywhere.

Plenty of RA Superiores 74CUC. No Q'dO of any sort.

Alex, Reynaldo, even La China had good stock available.

Not much time so didn't hit other shops aside from those.