FOH DIY Thread....could we use one?

How Good are you at fixing stuff  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am needing to change the jockey wheel on my 4X4 trailer.  I looked at it.....thought of calling Smithy.....went and bought the wrong wheel.....looked at it again.....came up with a strategy (Give Smithy a cigar and let him do it) and then though that perhaps the best way forward is to have a DIY thread on FOH where nongs like me can seek assistance. 

I want to know how many people would consider themselves good handymen. By good I mean can patch a hole in the wall and tinker with the trailer light wiring to get those blinkers a blinking. 

Use the poll above in order to see if we have enough handyman gumbies to proceed ;)

• Like 1

I’m sure I could contribute. My careers over the years include heavy equipment mechanic, large-scale farm management, and I’m currently in General Contracting.

Now if a computer is involved, and it goes much beyond downloading the latest software update, I may as well be the village idiot.

I generally use the internets to figure out anything I dont generally know.  Must be a GenX thing but I know there's a YouTube video for fixing just about everything.  Worked for installing a new belt on my dryer.  I am an internet jack of all trades handyman.  Which basically gives me enough knowledge to be dangerous lol, but I won't do electrical stuff.

I dont tend to call anyone else to fix anything, because I'm cheap lol.  And it's a hell of a lot easier to take care of it myself with 3 kids running around.

• Like 3

great idea! I'm usually pretty handy and can tackle most everyday projects around the house, but would love another source of info from folks with more/different DIY experience

Pretty handy myself. Dad was good about teaching me.

Just replaced the starter/solenoid on our 2004 Murano and it actually starts!

3 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I’m sure I could contribute. My careers over the years include heavy equipment mechanic, large-scale farm management, and I’m currently in General Contracting.

Now if a computer is involved, and it goes much beyond downloading the latest software update, I may as well be the village idiot.

What kind of farm management?  I’m an agronomy salesman/operator, I spray and spread quite a bit. All corn and soybean here in the Midwest though. 

Not sure I can help on this thread my handyman skills are akin to yours ,had this discussion the other day with Lucinda ,with me saying I don’t do to bad I have put up various shelving projects ,plus put two tv’s on the walls ,she said fair enough but why every time do you have an extra 5-6 holes ? 

i told her they were test holes ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jbhunter223 said:

What kind of farm management?  I’m an agronomy salesman/operator, I spray and spread quite a bit. All corn and soybean here in the Midwest though. 

I worked for Maui Pineapple Company for 20 years. At the time I started in the early 80’s, we were still a major player in the global supply of pineapple, maintaining 8000+ acres here on Maui. I suppose this would actually be a fairly small-scale operation in the world of corn and soybeans. 

I began straight out of college with an A.S. in Diesel Technology, so was in the maintenance department for 7 years. I then took an opportunity to expand my role, and with some OTJ training, I spent the remainder of my time there in charge of harvesting, which would prove to be some of the most rewarding and stressful years of my life. My hat is off to all the farmers out there...it’s a tough way of life to say the least.

Sadly, ever-expanding global competition took it’s toll on the iconic 100 year old enterprise, and Maui Pineapple Company ceased operating around 2006. I saw the writing on the wall and left in about 2004 to re-invent myself...probably the best thing I ever did.  

• Like 2

I am a civil engineer and would love to be of service in this thread.  My specialty tends to be helping make the binary decision of get a permit and do it legit or you can wing it and no one will know.  Too many times I have to help fix something that's a violation which is way harder than doing it right the first time.  Love this idea. 

I often do this myself for several reasons:

1. I'm so resting from the mental work I'm doing at my work.

2. I am so protected from deception when the master convinces me to replace the engine of the washing machine, when it is enough to replace graphite brushes for 1 dollar

3. I make work with my son so that he learns to appreciate and respect the work of masters and also does not become a subject of ridicule when in the way he need to replace the wheel on the car

4. I'm so persuading my conscience that I can buy another box of cigars, because instead of lying on the couch and watching TV, I saved $ 200

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, nKostyan said:

I often do this myself for several reasons:

1. I'm so resting from the mental work I'm doing at my work.

2. I am so protected from deception when the master convinces me to replace the engine of the washing machine, when it is enough to replace graphite brushes for 1 dollar

3. I make work with my son so that he learns to appreciate and respect the work of masters and also does not become a subject of ridicule when in the way he need to replace the wheel on the car

4. I'm so persuading my conscience that I can buy another box of cigars, because instead of lying on the couch and watching TV, I saved $ 200 emoji2.png

Amen to #4!?:clap:

3 hours ago, TBird55 said:

Grew up on a farm in a small town. If something broke, you fix it. Still farming, just raising trees now, instead of cattle and row crops.That being said, electricity still scares me.

That certainly resonates. I can figure my way around most things but as soon as electricity or internal plumbing turns up..

• Like 1

I'm in. Pretty darn handy, more on the real estate side than car/ engine stuff.  Have replaced almost all of in home plumbing at one point or another. Electric below commercial/industrial no problem.  

I'm far more handy with electrics and electronics than mechanical stuff. I need well written instructions to be good with mechanical things.

7 minutes ago, IanMcLean68 said:

I'm far more handy with electrics and electronics than mechanical stuff. I need well written instructions to be good with mechanical things.

Instructions? I thought that if all else fails, then you read the instructions.

52 minutes ago, TBird55 said:

Instructions? I thought that if all else fails, then you read the instructions.

I'm not really talking about worded instructions, or an ABC here. Maybe "written" was the wrong word to use! Anyway, I never read those! I mean clear technical drawings, ie  exploded diagrams and a BOM for how mechanical things go together. Kind of necessary for something with 10's or 100's of small mechanical moving parts, at least for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I'm a handy man, but not the kind that uses a pencil or rule....

:lol3:

I see what you did there....James. 

• Haha 1

Repair and restoration of Big Healeys involves all the usual disassembly/assembly and so on ,and includes the occasional weld,ream,or outright fabrication.

also there is usually some refabrication of new from the box parts,and the seemingly magical tuning of wire wheels.

eventually we approach the rarefied heights of the tuneup,making every thing play in harmony ......

fearless........and every day.