FOH DIY Thread....could we use one?

How Good are you at fixing stuff  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 minutes ago, garbandz said:

Repair and restoration of Big Healeys involves all the usual disassembly/assembly and so on ,and includes the occasional weld,ream,or outright fabrication.

also there is usually some refabrication of new from the box parts,and the seemingly magical tuning of wire wheels.

eventually we approach the rarefied heights of the tuneup,making every thing play in harmony ......

fearless........and every day.

Big Healy? Im confused. Is that like a Jumbo Shrimp thing? ?

2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Austin Healey. I'm assuming a Healey 100.

Haha. I know what Healeys are, when I was a kid our neighbor was "restoring" one in his garage. (he's probably still working on it) I don't remember which model, but is was a rag top and TINY. It was the first car that I remember being able to see over the steering wheel of.

3 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Haha. I know what Healeys are, when I was a kid our neighbor was "restoring" one in his garage. (he's probably still working on it) I don't remember which model, but is was a rag top and TINY. It was the first car that I remember being able to see over the steering wheel of.

Well, you're a young man and it is a British car, so you can never be sure. :P

Maybe your neighbour's car was an Austin Sprite?

6 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Well, you're a young man and it is a British car, so you can never be sure. :P

Maybe your neighbour's car was an Austin Sprite?

Haha. Fair enough. It was a Sprite! But not the Bug eye(google is great) in British racing green. 

Jack of all................master of none :unknown:

My projects usually entail money and time....not necessarily in that order.

Do I have the time and how much would I save if I had someone else doing it?

Example.....just purchased a new travel trailer.....they wanted 2300$ to spray some UV protection on the the outside.  No thank you!

Bottle of FLASH (google it if you don't know what it is) protection and we just just did one side of the trailer each day.  Savings ^^^^^^^^ alot.

You should be putting Flash on anything painted or Gel coated that is is the outdoor weather.  I also put it on all the glass of my vehicles.  Works and lasts better than rain X.

Get the Cherry smell one...the other works just as well but the smell is a little heavy.  Goes on easy as pie...comes off easy as pie.  I can do my full size 4 door PU in about 2-3 hours depending on my energy level and how many root beers I've had to keep me cooled down.  Apply it a cool shaded area.  in 30-60 days put a second coat on.  The second coat will go on much smoother and easier.  Stay away from anything matte black on the vehicle.  If you get some on it wipe it off immediately or it'll leave a white haze that will eventually wear off but it'll take a long time.  After the initial 2 coats depending on how often you wash the vehicle....12 to 18 months before another coat is needed. 

That's my sales pitch.....I'm in no way shape or form associated or connected with the product just been using it for probably 30 years + now.  You can thank me later.

I'll dabble (hopefully successfully) in most everything - electrical and plumbing as well.  Although when it comes to electrical I keep it to the very simple easy stuff.  I know my limits.

9 hours ago, garbandz said:

Repair and restoration of Big Healeys involves all the usual disassembly/assembly and so on ,and includes the occasional weld,ream,or outright fabrication.

also there is usually some refabrication of new from the box parts,and the seemingly magical tuning of wire wheels.

eventually we approach the rarefied heights of the tuneup,making every thing play in harmony ......

fearless........and every day.

Two years back I went to the applefarm owned by the Healey family, in the factory shop they had some of his first cars, they were things of beauty, nothing like a car more works of art