Anyone else unable to taste cigars in the morning?

Recently I’ve been smoking cigars on my 1.5 hour commute to and from work. Even if I have a full breakfast I struggle to enjoy my morning cigar. It’s very hit and miss. I’ve smoked the same cigar morning and then evening and they are two completely different experiences. 

Anyone else deal with this? Any remedies? Maybe I should just give up my morning smoke 

49 minutes ago, ohbob976 said:

Anyone else deal with this? Any remedies? Maybe I should just give up my morning smoke 

That would be a pity ...

There's nothing nicer than a quiet, nice morning cigar. It's my favourite time of the day for a cigar, specially in Havana.
I find that my taste buds and palate are clean and enjoy the cigar fully.

Hope it gets better for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Early day cigar is my favorite. 

In the evening, I'm often a cocktail or two deep and may not fully appreciate.  Both experiences have their place.

On the way to work i mostly light up a Partagas Petit Corona Especiale, (2-3 years of age) strong and pretty one dimensional. You get the nicotine, thick smoke and full flavor. Bam.

The way home is reserved for a Partagas Short (cabinet) a little more complex and a little lighter, something to savor.  I will occasionally substitute a larger cigar for the Partagas Short like Monte #2, ERDM Chiox, Partagas Presidente or Bolivar Royal Corona.   

I have been doing this for the last couple of years, and anytime i switch to something other than the Partagas Petit Corona Especiale, in the morning, i regret it. 

Try a powerhouse in the morning; this is just my opinion.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, habana 94 said:

On the way to work i mostly light up a Partagas Petit Corona Especiale, (2-3 years of age) strong and pretty one dimensional. You get the nicotine, thick smoke and full flavor. Bam.

The way home is reserved for a Partagas Short (cabinet) a little more complex and a little lighter, something to savor.  I will occasionally substitute a larger cigar for the Partagas Short like Monte #2, ERDM Chiox, Partagas Presidente or Bolivar Royal Corona.   

I have been doing this for the last couple of years, and anytime i switch to something other than the Partagas Petit Corona Especiale, in the morning, i regret it. 

will try this. thanks 

1 hour ago, nino said:

That would be a pity ...

There's nothing nicer than a quiet, nice morning cigar. It's my favourite time of the day for a cigar, specially in Havana.
I find that my taste buds and palate are clean and enjoy the cigar fully.

Hope it gets better for you.

thanks man. hopefully i figure this out 

• Like 1

Have you tried different foods/drinks for breakfast, and different cigars?

When I saw your thread title, I thought of a weekend morning a while ago, where I sat down with a cappuccino and a San Cristobal La Punta.  It was the strangest thing, but it was like the capuccino just completely washed away the La Punta.  The cigar had absolutely zero taste.  Was so disappointed!

I can taste cigars just fine in the morning but cannot handle them without a decent food base in me with at least an hour before lighting up. I get nauseous and dry heave if I light up in the morning sans food.

• Like 1

What do you drink for breakfast?  Orange juice or any other acidic/sour beverage (outside of coffee) will kill my taste buds and ruin any cigar for hours after.

I like a stout, small cigar in the morning as well.  The old advice about starting with a mild cigar has never worked for me.

3 hours ago, habana 94 said:

Agreed.

my go-to cigar in Havana for mornings is a Siglo II or RASCC Mareva.

Mostly I start smoking it just after I get up to a Cafecito or two before breakfast and continue it after breakfast ( or light a fresh one ).

11 minutes ago, inter4alia said:

I'm the opposite, I taste more flavors in a morning cigar than at other times of the day. A nice morning stick with coffee is my favorite. 

Same here...  ?

Best time to smoke in my opinion I prefer something a little stronger so I get the full flavor.  And tend to have a semi sweeter coffee so the tobacco flavors become more prominent 

I also prefer smoking time in the morning,

When I drive I don’t seem to enjoy it as much.  With the window cracked the cigar seems to burn hot and loses flavor.

But that's not the case if you enjoy your evening cigar in the car as well. 

Hope you can figure it out mate,

cheers 

I love the smell of PL in the morning! And I smoke and drive everywhere, plus I’m a door to door smoker. Never had a problem with morning smoking but I certainly don’t start my day with a Bolivar. My morning smokes are usually Cohiba ERDM Upmann Hoyo LGC PL and QdC....perfect 1.5 hr morning smoke Sir Winston.....I guess that could get a little expensive ?

Nothing beats a morning cigar; something with some terrier in it. The wham bam thank you ma'am cigars of the world shine as the sun comes up. Partagas Shorts fill the role admirably.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slowsmoke said:

Have you tried different foods/drinks for breakfast, and different cigars?

When I saw your thread title, I thought of a weekend morning a while ago, where I sat down with a cappuccino and a San Cristobal La Punta.  It was the strangest thing, but it was like the capuccino just completely washed away the La Punta.  The cigar had absolutely zero taste.  Was so disappointed!

hmmm good call. ill try switching up my breakfast. been sticking to the usual recently. 

1 hour ago, foursite12 said:

Nothing beats a morning cigar; something with some terrier in it. The wham bam thank you ma'am cigars of the world shine as the sun comes up. Partagas Shorts fill the role admirably.

just picked up a box of shorts from the 2424. can't wait to try them

My first cigar in the morning, with a cup of coffee, is often my favorite cigar of the day.

Mornings with a cigar and coffee in the is one of the best moments, just really limited to weekends and vacation for me. Way too much going on, even for a 20 min smoke. Never had an issue with flavors though.