If you were to lay down one box for 21 years...

Espenditos, HUSW, COLA, RASS 50 Cab,  I’d also look hard at current selections of tubed cigars.  How about a 25 Siglo VI Tubos? You’d be in good shape if you encounter storage upsets and cigars kept in tubes can be fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2019 at 9:38 AM, 99call said:

There was a distinctive flavour of Punch I couldn't pick for years until another member mentioned it, and I just thought "nail on head".  All good Punch (to me) has lots of Wrigleys 'Juicyfruit'.   Strange I know but, I'm converted.

history_1987@2x.png

Smoking a young Punch DC now, snd mate, whether this is subliminal or not, that is exactly what it tastes like. Exactly! It's uncanny.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2019 at 8:19 PM, HDGSN said:

Probably a vacuum sealed box of PSP CoLa, Party 898s or even Monte A Coffins.

Tell me more about why you would vacuum seal. I would be terrified to vac seal a box for 20 years, I’d worry that I’d open in 20 years, only to find a nasty surprise. Clearly I don’t know enough about it. 

2 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

Tell me more about why you would vacuum seal. I would be terrified to vac seal a box for 20 years, I’d worry that I’d open in 20 years, only to find a nasty surprise. Clearly I don’t know enough about it. 

Others here can tell you more about the mechanics of vacuum sealing a box of cigars.  I just wanted to mention that you may open, inspect the cigars, and reseal anytime you feel like it.  ??

2 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

It slows the aging process. I would be scared to come back to super box-pressed, which I am not a fan of.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, aphexafx said:

You can just as easily vac seal a cab, though.

It’s actually easier and less nerve wracking to vacuum seal a cab/slb, provided it fits in the bag. CoRo, JL #2 fit nicely.  PLPC cab barely fits but you can do it. You can also do Lusi, RAG and RyJ Churchill DB, but it takes a little wiggling to get it in there.  Esplendidos 25 box fit too ??

RASS cab, Connie A and Lusi cabs are too large 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

Smoking a young Punch DC now, snd mate, whether this is subliminal or not, that is exactly what it tastes like. Exactly! It's uncanny.  

The unfortunate thing is. Once you taste it, it's hard to stop thinking about. Ha!

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance gents, but is aging a cigar that long really a good thing? It’s my understanding that aging tends to have a mellowing effect, no? I don’t know that I’d enjoy that. I like a cigar that delivers a little bit of a kick to the jimmy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, soonerwings said:

Forgive my ignorance gents, but is aging a cigar that long really a good thing? It’s my understanding that aging tends to have a mellowing effect, no? I don’t know that I’d enjoy that. I like a cigar that delivers a little bit of a kick to the jimmy.

Not necessarily, no. There are two maturation periods, according to MRN, though some cigars to not reach the second level of maturation. He also describes pre-seed change of '99-'01. But anyway, he describes in depth how certain cigars develop, and according to him, it can "mellow out", but can also come back in power and change once more. It's really hard to know because of all the variable and we don't know the long term effects of the new tobacco strains. Not to mention, all the variables related to storage conditions and the history of the cigars themselves for decades.

Can go down the rabbit hole on this one

Not necessarily, no. There are two maturation periods, according to MRN, though some cigars to not reach the second level of maturation. He also describes pre-seed change of '99-'01. But anyway, he describes in depth how certain cigars develop, and according to him, it can "mellow out", but can also come back in power and change once more. It's really hard to know because of all the variable and we don't know the long term effects of the new tobacco strains. Not to mention, all the variables related to storage conditions and the history of the cigars themselves for decades.
Can go down the rabbit hole on this one

Ah yes, it’s amazing how complex a simple bundle of leaves can be isn’t it?

Thanks for shedding some illumination good sir. I do enjoy learning from those with more experience and knowledge.

Just now, soonerwings said:

Ah yes, it’s amazing how complex a simple bundle of leaves can be isn’t it?

Thanks for shedding some illumination good sir. I do enjoy learning from those with more experience and knowledge.

Take it with a grain of salt. I'm new at this too. Once I delve into a hobby though, I have to learn all I can. I've been reading a lot though, and MRNs book as well. Very informative. I'd say that book, and cubancigarwebsite.com are really the only two sources you need. FoH is icing on the cake. 

Take it with a grain of salt. I'm new at this too. Once I delve into a hobby though, I have to learn all I can. I've been reading a lot though, and MRNs book as well. Very informative. I'd say that book, and cubancigarwebsite.com are really the only two sources you need. FoH is icing on the cake. 

Heck I’ve been enjoying cigars for 14 years and I’m still new. I’m just now the point of smoking 2 per week. All things in moderation.

Now as far as CCs go I’m very new. Every CC I’ve ever smoked I’ve purchased from an LCDH. Seeing as there aren’t many trips out of the states for me in the near future, I’m still figuring out sourcing.

After hearing for years how well Sancho Panza age, I recently got to try some 98 belicosos.  Granted, the tobacco varietals have been further bred since then, but what I found was a great, deep, smooth Sancho Panza with a full cornucopia of the character-laden blend I love in more recent vintages.  The funny thing is they obviously have legs to develop over another 20 years.

I am truly curious to see if modern Havanas age as well as those of the past.  With how well some are smoking young, especially from brands that classically needed age such as Trinidad and Fonseca, I suspect they're doing something to pre-age, cure or otherwise develop the tobacco at a faster rate.

I have daughters from 2007, 2009 and son from 2014 and several boxes from all of those years. and probably will lay down milder marcas for daughters' 21th birthday and stronger for son's. and may be I'll put different cigars from these years into the boxes for some kind of samples. what do you think about samples from your children birth years?

On 2/2/2019 at 8:02 PM, soonerwings said:

Heck I’ve been enjoying cigars for 14 years and I’m still new. I’m just now the point of smoking 2 per week. All things in moderation.

Now as far as CCs go I’m very new. Every CC I’ve ever smoked I’ve purchased from an LCDH. Seeing as there aren’t many trips out of the states for me in the near future, I’m still figuring out sourcing.

Well, finding a good CC source shouldn't be that hard as of now :)