If you were to lay down one box for 21 years...

I think it’s interesting and compelling to enjoy something from the year of your birth. This last year I turned 40, enjoyed a Glenfarclas distilled in 1978 with a group of 8 of my closest friends. We only consumed a small amount of the 40 year old, with the intention of breaking it back out in ten years with the same group of guys. Repeat this every decade until it’s gone, if I die before it’s gone, they drink what’s left at my funeral. 

Anyway, these sort of traditions add some depth to the experience. So, I’ve had a discussion with a friend about laying down a box at the birth of a child and NOT TOUCHING it for 21 years, (I think 21 is a bigger deal in the US than in Oz or Europe). If you were going to do this, which marca and vitola would you pick and why? 

• Like 2

That is a nice dream to be sure. Just as an aside, while whisky doesn’t really go “bad” the flavor can be dramatically influenced with time exposed to air after opening. A good rule of thumb is to finish a bottle within a year or two after you get half way through it. I’d hate to see you come back on your 80th birthday and find a cloudy, crappy dram.

As for the cigar, why not lay down a nice cab of Punch or HDM DCs. 50 untouched beauties sleeping for 21 years would be one hell of a birthday. I find myself partial to the DCs. Pair it with a nice 21 year single grain scotch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not sure if this counts, but my boy was born in 2010. I found some 2010 Monte 1’s at Davidoff in London and they are holding them for me until this summer when I get them. They’ll be saved because if their box code for his 18/21 and any other momentous achievement in his life. 

I also have some Monte 80th’s to see how they age coming from this upcoming trip. 

21 years really isn't such a long time. But if you're going to hold onto a box of smokes with the express purpose of smoking them in 21 years and then again every 10 years after, then I hope you will also plan a fantastic dinner as part of the experience.  I'd go with a big smoke.

I don't often smoke a cigar larger than my head. But when I do, it's a Monte A.

It will last for at least 3 hours of side splitting revelry with good friends. ?

21 years is a long time to me....I'd lay down a box of everything and wait.  If it had to be one box, it would be my favorite LE of that year

I love this idea as I have my first son coming in March. How cool to have a box with the date code of MAR 2019 to put away and enjoy with him when he’s grown. That would make a pretty awesome wedding gift as well. It seems a lot of the cigars I see on 24:24 are believed to be at their peak in the 3-5 year range. Are their certain cigars that are known to age gracefully (and continue improving) for this length of time?  I’d hate to crack the box open on his birthday in 2040 and..........meh..

1 hour ago, Bram Smoker said:

That is a nice dream to be sure. Just as an aside, while whisky doesn’t really go “bad” the flavor can be dramatically influenced with time exposed to air after opening. A good rule of thumb is to finish a bottle within a year or two after you get half way through it. I’d hate to see you come back on your 80th birthday and find a cloudy, crappy dram.

As for the cigar, why not lay down a nice cab of Punch or HDM DCs. 50 untouched beauties sleeping for 21 years would be one hell of a birthday. I find myself partial to the DCs. Pair it with a nice 21 year single grain scotch. 

+1 on the dram. You could make the effort of decanting the bottle into smaller sampling bottles that are widely available now and open what you need, with the original empty bottle on the table.  Glenfarclas 40yo ‘78 is worth the effort. 

I’d go for a good box of Lusitanias. 

• Like 1

For me it would be a punch. I think there's something really special in ages Punch. For me it is the one marca that i can see clear "age" as they sit. I can't describe what i taste, but when i taste it know exactly what it is. I'd either go a box of Punch Punch or Coronations tubes.

For me, most probably a 50 cab of Party Lusis. I find it to be one of the most consistent smokes of the past decade, and it ages beautifully. If you could find a cab of SLR DC, that would also be a brilliant choice, IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

I can't describe what i taste, but when i taste it know exactly what it is

There was a distinctive flavour of Punch I couldn't pick for years until another member mentioned it, and I just thought "nail on head".  All good Punch (to me) has lots of Wrigleys 'Juicyfruit'.   Strange I know but, I'm converted.

history_1987@2x.png

• Like 1

There was a distinctive flavour of Punch I couldn't pick for years until another member mentioned in, and I just thought "nail on head".  All good Punch (to me) has lots of Wrigleys 'Juicyfruit'.   Strange I know but, I'm converted.

history_1987@2x.png.ba16ab9ff35698bf0c0b3131b9f92947.png

Hahahhaha. I’ll have to dig out some RS#12 and test this theory. Good reason to go digging for the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LordAnubis said:

Hahahhaha. I’ll have to dig out some RS#12 and test this theory. Good reason to go digging for the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a caveat, I found it more with fresher Punch Punch and Punch DC. 

I smoked the last of my 11's recently and seemed for to melded to have any distinct brash flavour picks, apart from the nice "roasty toasty" aspects Rob and Ken mentioned when they did the review last year.