Why is it so?

This subject has been raised by members and I noted it in todays 24:24.

Quai D'Orsay be they coronas, 50, 54 are remarkably consistent in terms of wrapper (quality and shade) and construction. I see very few poor ones. Most are good to very good.  Three lines only. Volumes moderate. 

Vegas Robaina.   3 lines (well 2 after the loss of the don Alejandro DC) and inconsistent as hell in terms of wrapper (quality and shade).  Volume moderate. 

Sancho Panza.    Same as VR but volume small. 

Why can one brand achieve a high level of quality consistency and yet other similar sized brands, fail?

• Like 1

If I had to make guess, I'd say that a factory makes a lot of difference.  I have no idea if 3 separate factories produce these 3 marcas or if the factory codes for these marcas overlap.  I know my work product is very different from the guy up the street and the other guy a little further up the street.  It would explain why QdO is consistent if it is made in a factory with a better manager and happier employees.  

Just a thought.

It certainly is strange. I can’t see that the factory they are made in would make a big difference to the quality of wrapper at least - a good manager won’t guarantee only good wrapper quality being made available. 

Perhaps it is to do with the master blenders. Do they believe that a high quality wrapper is needed for  Quai d’orsay, whereas in Sancho Panza the wrapper is unimportant to the final blend? I have no idea if this is true and I’m not trying to give it as an explanation, just a random thought that came to me as I read this thread. 

I get the impression that some brands abandon some lines to focus on others. I hear this said in regards to Cohiba not rolling Siglo VI and Behike. I want to believe this is so with the disappearance of the Corona Claro. I do wish though that I had gotten a box before they exited stage right without warning.

Just my thoughts. I don't know nearly as much as you on the subject.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Could it be the fact that QdO was established for the French market? Maybe that catering to a specific market with perceived, true or not, fine tastes has caused HSA to give QdO more tender care?

1 hour ago, HDGSN said:

Could it be the fact that QdO was established for the French market? Maybe that catering to a specific market with perceived, true or not, fine tastes has caused HSA to give QdO more tender care?

Is that a backhanded way of calling the French snobs?

?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HDGSN said:

I would tend to agree with this. And I wouldn't suggest it was snobbish.  If a brands starts up, and it's very purpose was to align itself with subtlety,  I bit like Davidoffs Chateau series, The Le Hoyo du Series or Party Serie du series.      I wouldn't suggest any of these cigars were 'easy'  i.e their blends don't set out to please at all costs, and the expense of intrigue.    A bit like the difference between a good comedian and a bad comedian.   The bad comedian just wants cheap laughs and lots off them, but the good comedian has the long set up, and then at the right moment..........they slays you with belly laughs!

Ultimately, I think if HSA know that certain cigars have a discerning audience then, they seem to try and live up to it. I guess you could call it a flagship.   The weird thing with QDO was, is that they 'were' a cheap flagship!?  They were a glitch in the matrix...........but they've solved it now,  a quick re-spray with gaudy glitz, and it's Cohiba's little brother. 

I just hope they don't take the slightly dirty moreishness out the blend that QDO has, and Trini has, but Cohiba lacks.  

39 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

Is that a backhanded way of calling the French snobs?

?

I'll allow it to be read that way - though I was really trying to say that maybe HSA seeks to treat the brand with special care because it got the brand from Cubatubaco that created and managed the brand for a special market/purpose.

1. QdS - primordially is a premium class brand

2. QdS have a simple form of Parejos. Figurados form always twisted only experienced torcedor. Experienced torcedores is never enough, especially for non global brands, which are SP and VR.

3. There can be no "hand of France" here. Seita-the original owner of the rights to QdS almost immediately transferred the rights to Cubatabaco. Later Seita ceased to exist: first it was privatized, then merged with the Spanish Tabacalera and reformed to the company Altadis, which will buy 50 percent of Cubatabaco.

4. The brand is not popular all over the world. For QdS currently there is a "rebranding" in order to promote, in regular releases included two new popular format. I think we are talking about the promotion of QdS in order to increase popularity. That is why the quality of special control.

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Occam's Razor...the principle that states that the simplest solution to a problem is more suited than a complex one. My theory is that Habanos S.A really want to push these two new vitolas in the Quai d'Orsay marca to establish growth in their brand awareness. They are doing this by providing the factory/ies making them with quality leaf. Consider in comparison, therefore, the current situation of Quai d'Orsay Coronas.

I would agree with this, The only head scratcher would be, Why did they maintain such a high standard in the Imperiales and Coronas for such a long time, whilst they were cheap, and tagged by many as "unloved". The current logic would be, if they weren't selling, then drop the quality/discontinue

I like many, see HSA's almost sabotage efforts with Vegas Robaina, to be punishment for Alejandros fame, and Hirochi's dabbling with the dark side. But as you pointed out with Occam's Razor, why even make something, if you have the power to cease its production altogether.

• Like 1

Thanks, @JohnS . Occam’s Razor is one of the guiding principles of my personal life methodology. Pertinent off-topic phrase: Any engineer can improve functionality by making a machine more complex. Only a great engineer can improve functionality by making a machine more simple. 

There is often elegance in simplicity. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

Occam's Razor...the principle that states that the simplest solution to a problem is more suited than a complex one. My theory is that Habanos S.A really want to push these two new vitolas in the Quai d'Orsay marca to establish growth in their brand awareness. They are doing this by providing the factory/ies making them with quality leaf. Consider in comparison, therefore, the current situation of Quai d'Orsay Coronas.

You’d make a great teacher John! I wish you were teaching philosophy when I was in school!

• Haha 1

My personal theory on the QDO love is that somewhere, some place, someone has a true respect for the ‘elegant aging’ qualities that the blend traditionally possesses. The Gran Coronas are some of the finest cigars I enjoy; classy cigars, a sophisticated marque.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kalibratecuba said:

I get the impression that some brands abandon some lines to focus on others. I hear this said in regards to Cohiba not rolling Siglo VI and Behike. I want to believe this is so with the disappearance of the Corona Claro. I do wish though that I had gotten a box before they exited stage right without warning.

Just my thoughts. I don't know nearly as much as you on the subject.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Is the Coronas Claro gone?  I swear I just saw some in a shop, the band says "Coronas Claro".

25 minutes ago, mt1 said:

Is the Coronas Claro gone?  I swear I just saw some in a shop, the band says "Coronas Claro".

The ***BAND*** says that??? Edit - before i even finished writing this, I learned that the 2017+ releases started incorporating that note on the band. Ya learn something new every day!!

The coronas claro claro and coronas claro are different vitolas DE SALIDA of the same vitola DE GALERA - different production releases, but both 42x142 in dimension. It just gets even more comfusing that everyone simply refers to them both simply as ‘coronas’. /rant over. 

8549E1DB-EBB9-4F55-9EF3-74B3FB829FB8.png

9F0B550B-42CC-4FED-9B59-853CBB63EE13.png

2 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

The ***BAND*** says that??? Edit - before i even finished writing this, I learned that the 2017+ releases started incorporating that note on the band. Ya learn something new every day!!

The coronas claro claro and coronas claro are different vitolas DE SALIDA of the same vitola DE GALERA - different production releases, but both 42x142 in dimension. It just gets even more comfusing that everyone simply refers to them both simply as ‘coronas’. /rant over. 

8549E1DB-EBB9-4F55-9EF3-74B3FB829FB8.png

9F0B550B-42CC-4FED-9B59-853CBB63EE13.png

If they have produced the Coronas with the new band, I've yet to see them for sale. I've seen an advertisement with the coronas with the new band...but that was it. I imagine if they ever produce more, they will sell like hot cakes, along with the 50 and 54, and regionals.

Perhaps the wrappers destined to be on Cohibas are somehow being diverted to cigars that are rolled to become QdO? Who really knows? Pretty sure the "French market" has nothing to do with anything related to this. It is another anomaly of Cuba, IMO

8 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Perhaps the wrappers destined to be on Cohibas are somehow being diverted to cigars that are rolled to become QdO? Who really knows? Pretty sure the "French market" has nothing to do with anything related to this. It is another anomaly of Cuba, IMO

But what logical reason would they have to do this? Cohiba's CUC prices are astronomical compared to QD