Why is it so?

2 hours ago, bundwallah said:

Maybe VR and Sancho are relegated to lower grade tobacco as they are probably looking to get rid of the marca's?  With that said.  Gnarly looking cigars =/= bad smoking experience.

I recently purchased a box of SP Non Plus from a vendor (blind) and they are beautiful cigars. Maybe I got lucky? Wanted to try the marca but not shell out 250usd for the belicosos. 

I think some cigars have a very forgiving blend and short of some spectacular cockup they seem very hard to really get wrong. QDO Coronas is one, Juan Lopez #2 seems to be similar as well as the Monte #3. Appearance also seems to have very little affect on smoking experience with these too, I've had some right grot bags that have smoked superbly

5 hours ago, NYgarman said:

I recently purchased a box of SP Non Plus from a vendor (blind) and they are beautiful cigars. Maybe I got lucky? Wanted to try the marca but not shell out 250usd for the belicosos. 

You got lucky :wink2:

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:56 PM, HarveyBoulevard said:

If I had to make guess, I'd say that a factory makes a lot of difference.  I have no idea if 3 separate factories produce these 3 marcas or if the factory codes for these marcas overlap.  I know my work product is very different from the guy up the street and the other guy a little further up the street.  It would explain why QdO is consistent if it is made in a factory with a better manager and happier employees.  

Just a thought.

Very good point

On 1/9/2019 at 11:50 AM, El Presidente said:

Why can one brand achieve a high level of quality consistency and yet other similar sized brands, fail?

This makes me think of my beloved principes, and my recent exchange with @Luca regarding them. Would you not think it would have anything with a good 'seam' of tobacco being allotted to that factory/those rollers?

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

The ***BAND*** says that??? Edit - before i even finished writing this, I learned that the 2017+ releases started incorporating that note on the band. Ya learn something new every day!!

The coronas claro claro and coronas claro are different vitolas DE SALIDA of the same vitola DE GALERA - different production releases, but both 42x142 in dimension. It just gets even more comfusing that everyone simply refers to them both simply as ‘coronas’. /rant over. 

I was pretty confused too because the boxes say Coronas and I've seen different bands now.  I recently was in Europe and I purchased some with "Corona Claro" on the band (I was just a surprised as you to learn it was a thing)...

Most SP Belicoso wrappers look like puppy sh** for whatever reason but seem to taste pretty good.  The saltiness is not there on the newer boxes.  I have had good luck with the few boxes of VR Unicos; one of which from our host.   I can't say I am fan of SP's as a whole; the most plugged cigars of any marca I have had.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, cfc1016 said:

Thanks, @JohnS . Occam’s Razor is one of the guiding principles of my personal life methodology. Pertinent off-topic phrase: Any engineer can improve functionality by making a machine more complex. Only a great engineer can improve functionality by making a machine more simple. 

There is often elegance in simplicity. 

As a consulting civil, structural & hydraulic engineer (retired some 15+ years now) I always sought to make things Foolproof.

However I always keep in mind this little axiom:  "Fools can be very ingenious."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have only had one or 2 of the old ones, so I might not be the best to answer that. I don't have these yet, but have confirmed the purchase. Will update when they get here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great points. Reminds me of the evolution of Trinidad or LGC. Remember a few years back announcements that Trinidad and LGC and are on their way out? Made me sad. But a couple of years later, 2013 I think, LGC no. 2 out again. 

Trinidad has been really becoming a favorite, but selling fast all over. So few sizes compared to the bigger marcas. And try to find the new Vigia? Sometimes tricky. Sometimes not. A box of T’s, good luck. Fun as rare collectible.

CB