La Escepcion Don José Regional Italia 2015

Because that's what everybody says so it must be true and people parrot it.

Ever notice that there are no bad cigars anymore, just cigars in a sick phase or cigars that "will be outstanding in a few years"?

I'm beginning to sound like Pigfish :)

Cause they will increase in value in years, some people see cigars as a asset to be bought and sold they fail to see the main part about smoking them. So for them the cigars will approve in years or should that be appreciate. Ones I have smoked have tasted a bit muddled I bought some anyway hoping the flavours I enjoyed become more pronounced.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Italians do it better

Ugh.. Do not buy! No beuno! Don Jose? No Way Jose! Seriously..do not buy.....until I've grabbed a box or two to sample from.....

Did someone mention Don Jose?? Just smoking one now

Because they've heard the noncuban missile manufacturers state that high ligero content cigars will age well and have the legs to go for years. The thing is, ligero doesn't age nearly as well as good seco in my opinion. And the lighter, milder Habanos age well because any of the young, noxious attributes will be pushed aside to allow the actual flavors that are there to come to the forefront. As the cigar ages and loses its hygroscopic properties to a degree, flavors will become sharper and more defined, think concentrated. This is why, I think, people say that some cigars gain strength over time. Cigars DO NOT gain strength nicotine-wise over time for the simple fact that nicotine breaks down over time, becomes denatured, it's molecular structure weakens. That I will stand behind 100% but I can see why people say that strength becomes magnified over time but it is the flavors that become amplified, magnified, and concentrated.

Although I can't stand his videos, Dr Joe does get a few things right in his "Aging Series" videos although he's basically parroting what MRN says in his book and he does make the mistake of saying that they specifically gain strength nicotine-wise over time, which again, is wrong.

• Like 1

Why do people assume that mild/medium bodied cigars do not age well???

No one said that in this thread.

To "age well", a cigar must offer "something" that you know, thanks to your experience, will evolve to something else. This "something" can show the form of citrus/acidity, dark notes, edges, etc, or simply the impression that the blend hasn't worked out yet, it tastes "diluted".

In the case of the Don Jose the cigar is already well rounded, very smooth, mature. Like almost all habanos it will benefit from 1 or 2 years but IMHO aging them beyond 2 or 3 years would be stupid.

• Like 1

This is why, I think, people say that some cigars gain strength over time. Cigars DO NOT gain strength nicotine-wise over time for the simple fact that nicotine breaks down over time, becomes denatured, it's molecular structure weakens. That I will stand behind 100% but I can see why people say that strength becomes magnified over time but it is the flavors that become amplified, magnified, and concentrated..

Yes, and I always think this is due to the lack of definition of technical terms. I'd rather speak of strength, when it's about nicotine, and body when about intensity of flavours. Would members agree or have deviating definitions? Have to admit, I often find myself being imprecise here.

Just finished one. Started out glorious with lots of honey and quickly changed to a creamy coffee. Beginning 1/3 was great. Got muddled the rest of the way and tasted a little young, but not harsh. Final third got a little better as some of the honey poked through again. I'd put the body at a touch under medium, but strength med-full as I got a big nicotine rush in the final third. Hopefully these age well, but I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other. I look forward to revisiting them in a couple months.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone smoke one of these and like it?

Had my first one tried out this weekend, and have to agree with Smallclub - the cigar is almost ready to be smoked. Only the wonky burn that needed regular touchups (even though having been dryboxed to 62% rH for a week, but quite oily), reminded me that I smoked a fresh cigar. Obviously very well processed and aged tobacco. Very nice complexity and slight evolution, creamy smoke, no harshness till the very end, even not on the retrohale. But they surely contain "some" nicotine....

Not much aging required, let's hope they will keep their quality and remain on a looong plateau before going down.

This one was from a later batch I guess (TORcido OCT 15 biggrin.png ).

Paul

• 6 months later...

I just brought a box back from Italy last month. Have smoked two from the box (I just can't stand an unopened/untried box of cigars!). Both were very good but I thought still immature. Burn was a little irregular. First third was excellent with great flavors. Final third started to get a little harsh which to me usually signals a young cigar that needs some time in the humidor. So I've put mine away and won't touch them again until next year. 

Right just rub it in boys we can only dream  I have a good mind to hop  a flight ( 8 hrs as the crow flies from JFK)

to Roma and camp out at Fincata!

33 minutes ago, kuma said:

Right just rub it in boys we can only dream  I have a good mind to hop  a flight ( 8 hrs as the crow flies from JFK)

to Roma and camp out at Fincata!

Sorry - they told me I got their last box (or I would have grabbed more than one!).

2 hours ago, Bohn007 said:

Apparently, judging from the number of comments, this was a popular release. How are they smoking now? 

I had one a month ago, it was very good. I actually enjoyed it more than the Selectos Fino I had earlier in the year.  

• Like 4

I had one a month ago, it was very good. I actually enjoyed it more than the Selectos Fino I had earlier in the year.  

Blasphemy!! ;)

It's good, but not in the same league for me.
  • Like 1