Hello everybody peace.gif was looking for advice on getting a new cutter to replace the freebie i got ages ago lol. I have narrowed it down to two, a Palio or a Xikar X8 does anybody have experience of using these? Thanks in advance for any feedback ok.gif

Mike

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a Palio, had it now a couple years and still as sharp and reliable as ever. You can't go wrong with one. ;)

Welcome to the forum by the way. peace.gif

You cant go far wrong with either the Palio or the Xikar. I use the Xikar X8 myself and it never lets me down. (Xikar guarantee is great also... goes dull send it back and they send you a new one.)

Both Xikar and Palio are excellent makes, and the warranty is great too.

I personally use a Wolfertz cutter - whilst Wolfertz manufactures the blades for Xikar in Solingen, Germany

it retails for a fraction of the price ok.gif

Cheers, Alex

Both Xikar and Palio are excellent makes, and the warranty is great too.

I personally use a Wolfertz cutter - whilst Wolfertz manufactures the blades for Xikar in Solingen, Germany

it retails for a fraction of the price ok.gif

Cheers, Alex

Good tip, I'll keep an eye out for a Wolfertz then. Thanks!

Personally I prefer my Xi1. Performs every time.

Palio is a great cutter also but xikars lifetime warranty is hard to beat. If there is any trouble just replace it at nearest vendor.

I've had my davidoff zino double guillotine cutter since I smoked my first cuban cigar almost 20 years ago, still sharp, still sturdy, wish I knew just how many caps its clipped off all these years..... But it's a boring choice....

I've got both a Palio and a Xikar and I have to say I really prefer the Palio. Maybe I'm not the greatest at using the Xikar, but I seem to get a straighter and cleaner cut from my Palio.

Palio and Xikar both have a lifetime warranty, so buy either with confidence.

I've had my davidoff zino double guillotine cutter since I smoked my first cuban cigar almost 20 years ago, still sharp, still sturdy, wish I knew just how many caps its clipped off all these years..... But it's a boring choice....

Mine will be 17 years old in June. It still works like a champ. It doesn't cut much bigger than a 52 ring gauge so if big cigars are your thing it might not be the right choice for you. If it ever croaks on me I would likely buy a Xikar.

I have both Palio and Xikar cutters. Multiples of each and multiple Xikar models as well. In truth, I used to prefer the Palio over Xikar, but I've learned over time with extended use, the Xikars hold up better. That's just my experience though...for what it's worth.

I would choose the Palio, I have both cutters and they are top notch, but the Palio seems to stay sharper and more durable of a cutter with a cleaner cut. I like the grip it has, too. But either way, you will be satisfied. I think its just matter of personal preference

I have both and typically reach for the Xicar. I find it leaves a nicer 'finish' to the cut than the Palio, which often leaves a 'step' between the blades on larger ring guage cigars. Could be a technique issue, and it's certainly a personal preference one. Whichever you get, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

As an aside, I was recently gifted the new Xicar 11mm punch. It's a great piece of kit, particularly with the trend for larger ring gauges and looser rolls.

I can not offer you advice on either cutter. I've always used a simple pocket knife. It's always in my pocket, one less thing to cary around and keep track of. Invest in a few good quality knife and you'll get way more in terms of usable value for your hard earned coin, in my opinion. For the past while I've been using a buck folding alpha hunter blade, or the buck 110. Good luck peace.gif

Mine is almost 20 years old also and still works like a charm. Definitely worth the 50 dollar investment way back then!

I've got both a Palio and a Xikar and I have to say I really prefer the Palio. Maybe I'm not the greatest at using the Xikar, but I seem to get a straighter and cleaner cut from my Palio.

Palio and Xikar both have a lifetime warranty, so buy either with confidence.

My feelings exactly.

I can not offer you advice on either cutter. I've always used a simple pocket knife. It's always in my pocket, one less thing to cary around and keep track of. Invest in a few good quality knife and you'll get way more in terms of usable value for your hard earned coin, in my opinion. For the past while I've been using a buck folding alpha hunter blade, or the buck 110. Good luck peace.gif

Complete agreement on the pocket knife....I had a Zino for years then went to Cuba and was shown the knife thing by folks who will never ever afford a cutter :)

I do have a Xikar I was given as a gift that gets used on figurados...otherwise the Leatherman Wave that is always on my hip.

I mostly use my Wolf punch that is on my keychain. When I am at home I use my Donatus scissors. My Xikar cutters and Palio cutters are gathering dust. I think I gave 3 or 4 away already. I do have a no-name cutter that was a gift that I carry in my bag in case I have a very thin RG cigar or a figurado to cut.

Go with the Xikar. The Palio makes a nicer cut ime, but the blades are too thin. I recently got a tiny nick or burr on one of the blades on my Palio and it totally destroyed the cutter. The blades kept jamming together at the nicked edge and wouldn't slide over each other anymore. Only had the cutter for about a year. I will try to get it replaced through warranty eventually. I also have a Xikar Xi1 that is 3 years old and still cuts like it did when it was new.