• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd let you know that I plumped for the X8 in the end, want to try a few larger RG cigars. Will be trying it out on a P2 partagas on sunday whilst watching the golf :-)

I just wanted to add to this thread in case someone in the future is searching for info on a new cutter..

I have a Xikar Xi cutter, I used it often till about 3 years ago, now i stays in the car. They are nice, cut well but if you are inexperienced, or drunk, can leave a nice blood blister on your fingertip if you get it between the sides, which is easy to do. (com'on, tell me you havent done that.)

I mainly use a punch now, which I keep on my keychain, or I use this beautiful Solingen cutter from the 50's. Feels good in the hands, has two sizes of tip cutters (tho nothing can fit above 46rg) and a v-cut on the front which I use most often. These can be found online (ebay) used for about $30 and are very nice, some have cool handles. Love mine also because it was my fathers (he doesnt smoke anymore).

post-4863-0-81981600-1371162772_thumb.jp

I have the very thin, rectangular Xikar cutter that works very well for me. I don't use it that often as I usually use my punch. Very sharp, nice clean cut. I buy my Xikar stuff at my local store that is very good about replacing stuff if there is a problem.

I have 2 Xi1 Xikar cutters and a 'Carbon Graphite' Palio (2nd one, misplaced the first). Also had a Xikar twist punch for a while. I have a scissors cutter as well, doesn't work to my linking and I'm not sure of the brand.

I find I use the Palio more frequently though the Xikars do get a fair bit of use as well. Would recommend either.

I have and like my Palio gold tone cutter and Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter, also gold tone. Also still have my Zino guillotine cutter that I got in 1997, a XIKAR Mean Sardine...all very nice cutters. But out of all I do believe the Cuban Crafters Perfect Cutter gives spot on best cuts of all. Just my 2cnts.

I like the Palio, but it's not perfect. I find it a little effort to eyeball a straight cut, due to the wedge shape of two halves as they slide together. And it's plastic, no matter what they call it.

But those are the only problems I can see. It's very sharp, has a great guarantee, is not too expensive, and you can pop it in the dishwasher.

I have a pretty good steel Adorini cutter that is much flatter, but not quite as sharp. I use them both.

1. Pocket knife: always on me, finest degree of cut control, can handle any ring gauge or shape

2. Davidoff guillotine: owned for many years, became dull and loose (tried touching up with diamond hone), otherwise, nice unit

3. Palio guillotine: current herf cutter, decent cut, suffers from offset (and tiny strip of loose leaf) if not careful, cheapish (feeling)

4. Xikar: never liked the cutting action, did not feel safe and confident with it in my hand

5. punch: rarely use as I prefer a larger opening

6. V/cat-eye cutter: never liked the draw or feel in mouth, don't use

7. Nails, teeth: only in a cigar emergency

That said, if you're looking for a good, reliable cutter that you don't need to baby or worry about sharing and having to explain how it works or if it gets dropped, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Palio.

Wilkey

I love my xikar xi1.

Has a surgical sharp cut and i love the feel and weight to it. I have no issues with pinching skin.

Loathe the palio. Feels exceptionally cheap and the cut for me is no where near as good as the xikar.

I do like the look of the xikar x8. Might pick one up.

My ideal cutter would be a ST Dupont maxijet to cutter to match my lighter. Ive used one before and the bladed are spring loaded to provide some resistance when your cutting. Supposed to offer more stability, but is very pricey. My rule of cigar accessories is that i dont purchase it if i can buy a good box of smokes with the same money.

I know KC was looking for info on two specific cutters.... This got me looking through what I have for cutters and lighters. I've gone through a number of phases (including fingernails), but have always come back to the xikar. I meant to throw in matches as well....

post-296-0-89437400-1371489007_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the purchase, but if you are not happy with it.......Palio, it doubles as a cigar holder as well. Plus lifetime warranty, sent mine back a few times, comes back sharp and never got a bill..

I used a Palio for the longest time, and was really happy with it, until I tried a Xikar. Now it's all I use. The blade seems much sharper than the Palio ever was, and it has more cutting force.

My fiancé bought me the Xikar Ultra combo this weekend as I keep using crap lighters and losing lighters cutters such as my Palio cutter and other Xikar lighters. I have been using the Ultra at work for years as it is my bosses go to lighter combo and I figured the magnet will help with me not losing it. I like the cut better than my Palio.