• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you have a firm cigar, or a plugged one that you need to take a chunk off, or weak hands, or arthritis...

I have been known to cut an inch or so off the head end if it's bunched too tight. A guillotine cutter if 46 gauge or smaller. Pocket knife for everything else.

Wilkey

Or you have a firm cigar, or a plugged one that you need to take a chunk off, or weak hands, or arthritis...

what I mean is if you're using force you're cutting too high up

Huh? How about it means that you like to make a nice, clean cut with little effort?

1. Pocket knife: always on me, finest degree of cut control, can handle any ring gauge or shape

2. Davidoff guillotine: owned for many years, became dull and loose (tried touching up with diamond hone), otherwise, nice unit

3. Palio guillotine: current herf cutter, decent cut, suffers from offset (and tiny strip of loose leaf) if not careful, cheapish (feeling)

4. Xikar: never liked the cutting action, did not feel safe and confident with it in my hand

5. punch: rarely use as I prefer a larger opening

6. V/cat-eye cutter: never liked the draw or feel in mouth, don't use

7. Nails, teeth: only in a cigar emergency

That said, if you're looking for a good, reliable cutter that you don't need to baby or worry about sharing and having to explain how it works or if it gets dropped, you'd be hard pressed to beat the Palio.

Wilkey

*And in my beginning - my manicure scissors which I'd cut a nice V cut shape before reading Zino Davidoff's book, and now go by guillotine cut...

Nothing but Palio for me. Have several, one that I travel with, dual pouch with the Palio lighter. One in the basement, one in the garage, one in the truck, one in my locker at work, just about have one handy anywhere I go. I got tired of looking for a cutter all the time. One thing I realized was though cut quick and firm and it makes a perfect slice of the cap every time.

I love my xikar xi1.

Has a surgical sharp cut and i love the feel and weight to it. I have no issues with pinching skin.

Loathe the palio. Feels exceptionally cheap and the cut for me is no where near as good as the xikar.

I do like the look of the xikar x8. Might pick one up.

My ideal cutter would be a ST Dupont maxijet to cutter to match my lighter. Ive used one before and the bladed are spring loaded to provide some resistance when your cutting. Supposed to offer more stability, but is very pricey. My rule of cigar accessories is that i dont purchase it if i can buy a good box of smokes with the same money.

Stevie how is the Dupont lighter working for you? Was thinking of getting one myself.

About a year and half ago I really splurged on an Xikar Xi3 Havana Collection Cutter. Every-time I go to use it I find myself nervous about pinching my finger. But on the other hand it is a gorgeous cutter.

IMG_0233.jpg

I mainly use a punch and a Xikar as I can return it when it gets dull and have had do so once. However when a punch is not suitable I have a S.T . DuPont single blade that I have had for about 2 years that works great and is by far my favorite cutter. It is heavy for a small piece but solid and does no wiggle around even after many cuts. I would not buy a Colibri as every one I have owned are crap. They break and get loose often. Dunhill makes some outstanding cutters as well however be prepared to cough at the price.

About a year and half ago I really splurged on an Xikar Xi3 Havana Collection Cutter. Every-time I go to use it I find myself nervous about pinching my finger. But on the other hand it is a gorgeous cutter....

That's a nice Xikar.

Though, I do find it interesting how people are sometimes worried about getting a finger caught/cut. Why don't you gents try "palming" the cutter? That's how I've used them for years, how I was shown to use them when they first came out, rather even than how Xikar itself shows it on their webpage...

http://www.xikar.com/about/how.asp

I was shown to "palm" it, which keeps your fingers away. You then use your thumb to open the action, and it sits comfortably in your hand, and you can even use your palm/inside of hand to ensure your cigar cut depth isn't going to be too much off of the head....

It might not be perfect, and I don't use it like this all the time. However, especially when I'm a bit....ahem, tipsy....this is a surefire way to ensure you don't get a fingertip mixed up in there.

Not sure if it's "right" of whatnot, but it's just another thought which may help.

You make a few good points CanuckSARTech...

I am still struggling to see why people are complaining of pinching, maybe they are using them wrong?

Xikar use the same Steel and cutting bevels across all their cutters, so those that are concerned about pinching might want to give the xi series a miss.

Not that I am overly endorsing, I have posted many times about my love/hate relationship with xikar, I had a horrible experience with a few of their lighters when I first started smoking cigars, but now every xikar I own works flawlessly and their customer service really is phenomenal.

I have had (and currently still have) a TON of Xikar stuff. Currently 5 different cutters (the above Mayan 3D one being my favourite), and two different lighters.

And agreed. There were issues with the lighters a bit ago. But things definitely have seemed to improve, and the customer service levels are definitely top notch.

And we just may have some stuff from them coming in for the Toronto MegaHerf III.... :whistle:

• 1 year later...

I've got both a Palio and a Xikar and I have to say I really prefer the Palio. Maybe I'm not the greatest at using the Xikar, but I seem to get a straighter and cleaner cut from my Palio.

Palio and Xikar both have a lifetime warranty, so buy either with confidence.

X2 I prefer my palio as its easier to use and also doubles a cigar rest/holder if u need to put the cigar down. If you smoke larger ring gauges or pyramid/campanas the Xikar is a bit better in that regard.