Let's talk about watches...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

Two pieces of clothing I love are jackets and watches. Although I do not have many watches. I've been hinting to the wife for a year or more that I want a new watch, even brought her into a few stores and showed her what I like. She even went as far as to say, "I guess I should get you a nice watch, I mean you bought me my engagement ring and I love that." Anyway, I'm eyeing up a few of the higher end Eco-drive watches by Citizen. Nothing really fancy I just like the fact that the watch needs no batteries ever as it is powered by light. And they have some killer looks too.

These are my watches I have right now, one is my work one which is just your run of the mill Timex Expedition, I just need something to tell time at work and where I work outside in gruelling Canadian winters I need something that won't cost too much if I ruin it somehow. Another is the first watch my parents bought me when I was in my early teens. Spazio is the name, I've had that thing for well on 12 years and it still works great, and is my daily wear when not at work. had to replace the strap once. And third is my Nixon, The Player, watch which I use as my going out, or dress up watch.

post-17248-0-48930800-1396128687_thumb.j

post-17248-0-09059500-1396128699_thumb.j

post-17248-0-35348500-1396128709_thumb.j

This thread has gotten me interested again in watches as a form of daily expression. Although I have a top line dress watch, I have never put much time or thought into a daily use watch, and it has been a long time since I have looked at watches to see what is available. Now that I have the bug, I am on the hunt for both a sports watch for diving and an every day casual watch. Thanks, all, for getting the party started here.!

Awesome!

You ever dive any Aus caves?

Never got to Oz was too busy enjoying Northern Florida. Deep Blue was a favourite, Manatee in High Springs, was dark, fast and vicious :)

Was also invited to dive some of the better Oz caves with some of the guys I know there, who regularly dive the Nullabor etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the 28k watch astronauts wear in space now?

Definitely a phenomenal watch, however, if I'm spending that kind of coin on a timepiece, it'll be Swiss.

Im not sure whether it's the same model worn by the astronauts but the price is about a rolex at least the date just rolex. Ridiculous!!! My thoughts are the same I'd rather go for a Swiss.

But you know what there's a lot of criticism about swiss watches that they're not entirely made in Switzerland. I suppose this is true on the lower tier. They just need percentage value of the watch to be made in Switzerland. And because their labour is much higher by just doing finishing on chinese movement they'll get swiss made certification.

My grouse with swiss watches is their servicing. Bloody cost 10-20% of their value.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Im not sure whether it's the same model worn by the astronauts but the price is about a rolex at least the date just rolex. Ridiculous!!! My thoughts are the same I'd rather go for a Swiss.

But you know what there's a lot of criticism about swiss watches that they're not entirely made in Switzerland. I suppose this is true on the lower tier. They just need percentage value of the watch to be made in Switzerland. And because their labour is much higher by just doing finishing on chinese movement they'll get swiss made certification.

My grouse with swiss watches is their servicing. Bloody cost 10-20% of their value.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

You've hit the nail on the head as to why people have a problem with Swatch with regards to their servicing. A lot of time there's incompetent people working on timepieces, which is a problem when the movement doesn't have a solid reputation for durability. Word on the street was that a decade ago they were just giving away their movements making it hard for others to compete, then making money off the servicing of the watches. Now if my memory serves me right they only provide movements to the companies owned by the Swatch Group. Not 100% sure if that's accurate though. I've been pretty out of the watch game for a while now.

• 1 year later...
  • JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...