Let's talk about watches...

On 4/4/2024 at 11:09 AM, Rhinoww said:

Back on topic - anyone here a collector of the old Seiko automatics, 6138 or 6139 watches?  Considering dabbing with at least an early Pogue, as the first automatic to space to add to a theme on space travel (omega and Bulova tuning fork both made it on early spacecraft and are part of my small collection). Lots of interesting options and history with the Seiko (and I will admit I was a bit surprised as I had only thought of their disposable quartz watches). Also seems that while a few complications, the price point particularly on some of the more exercised units might allow for some attempts at junior watch repair. 
Anyone here already go down this rabbit hole?

If you're in the U.S. and want this 6139--8080, let me know and I'll send it off to you.  I don't know where the other half to the bracelet is at, might turn up.  Likely only good for parts, unless you don't mind the corrosion on the dial.  Looked into having it repaired years ago, wasn't worth it at the time.

IMG_6294.JPG

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

6 hours ago, JBV cigars said:

I have not been able to take this new to me 1986 18038 off my wrist

Beautiful piece, congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/8/2024 at 10:15 PM, BrightonCorgi said:

If you are new or have a collection; here is a watch you should consider. It's a triple date chronograph and at an absolute steal for what you get. You're likely to only find used, but that is fine.

It's the Omega Speedmaster Day-Date reference 3523.80.00. On average they are under 3K USD for very good condition. To re-release this watch would be 10K+ from Omega.

Such a great watch. Totally agree on collectibility.

On 4/8/2024 at 5:45 AM, Jack said:

If you're in the U.S. and want this 6139--8080, let me know and I'll send it off to you.  I don't know where the other half to the bracelet is at, might turn up.  Likely only good for parts, unless you don't mind the corrosion on the dial.  Looked into having it repaired years ago, wasn't worth it at the time.

PM sent. That’s the movement I am trying to figure out if I can tinker with any success. Will be sending some sticks, so hopefully a win win. 

Has anyone seen the newly released YG Deepsea monstrosity? 322 grams of solid 18K gold bliss! For the introductory price of $52,000 USD. Who's lining up to get this one? It might require a bodyguard for your safety.

deepsea.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SCgarman said:

Has anyone seen the newly released YG Deepsea monstrosity? 322 grams of solid 18K gold bliss! For the introductory price of $52,000 USD. Who's lining up to get this one? It might require a bodyguard for your safety.

My great mate and accountant Artie Kassos will be all over this. 

It's blue, it's gold and it's Rolex :spotlight:

He already has one in the Presidential....but that is unlikely to stop him :rolleyes:

image.png

I actually think it’s pretty cool. Takes a certain type to pull it off - likely 80% of those who buy it aren’t the right person to pull it off. I’m picturing, ex-NFL line man who has a 70’ sport fisher. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SCgarman said:

That is 100% a monstrosity. Having a gold Seadweller officially moves it out of the category it was intended to be in. I see tons of guys wearing Seadwellers who don’t want to get their hair wet. Having said that, the gold and blue looks awesome. I would never wear it or pay for it but I could never pull it off. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Never owned a Rolex (other than my wife’s) and probably never will, but this is pretty cool to be honest. I’m a two trick pony with watches so far and not keen to move brands. If I do look at a third brand it will likely be a VC or ALS.

6 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Gold Seadweller is a bit tacky. Nice looking though.

It is just Deepsea. The sea dweller script is gone from the dial. 44mm case. 18mm case thickness. 322 grams weight. Unless you are big like Dwayne the rock Johnson, this thing will look plain silly strapped to your wrist. It will also scream "rob me!!". My gold Submariner is modest in comparison.

I don't get gold diving watches. The most utilitarian, might get banged up category of watch, you and want that in gold? If you're not wearing it in the water; why bother? I see people taking their dive watches off to wash their hands...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arabian said:

it took me a while to notice the grey color. Not sure about this piece, a subtle Rolex!. I feel like this one will grow on people in the future.

I actually really like this one!

On 4/12/2024 at 5:35 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

I don't get gold diving watches. The most utilitarian, might get banged up category of watch, you and want that in gold? If you're not wearing it in the water; why bother? I see people taking their dive watches off to wash their hands...

That is genuinely funny. I bought a used automatic dive watch recently specifically to abuse and not shed many tears if/when a seal breaks. 

• Like 1

Technically a Deep Sea is a Seadweller. Seadweller now refers to the whole line. Having a watch with a helium valve in gold is a bit of an embarrassment. One would have to imagine not a single one of those watches will ever be put anywhere near the conditions they were painstakingly designed for.

• Like 1

To be fair I don’t think any manufacturer actually expects these to be used in a way where their design specs will approach their max potential. If they did, they wouldn’t make it in a soft metal. Like expecting Omega owners to all be astronauts or Milgauss owners to be specific field scientists

Same goes for any sports/super/hypercar. Not meant to be driven to max potential. It’s for the owners pleasure

39 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

Technically a Deep Sea is a Seadweller. Seadweller now refers to the whole line. Having a watch with a helium valve in gold is a bit of an embarrassment. One would have to imagine not a single one of those watches will ever be put anywhere near the conditions they were painstakingly designed for.

The case back is titanium not gold. Two completely different metals. Looks much different than a typical PM Rolex. BTW, no human body can dive to 12,800 ft. The watch is just a "flex gimmick".

52 minutes ago, ShaazK said:

To be fair I don’t think any manufacturer actually expects these to be used in a way where their design specs will approach their max potential. If they did, they wouldn’t make it in a soft metal. Like expecting Omega owners to all be astronauts or Milgauss owners to be specific field scientists

Same goes for any sports/super/hypercar. Not meant to be driven to max potential. It’s for the owners pleasure

That is a fair point. What I would say is a Submariner works the same as a Seadweller to 1K feet according to Rolex. That’s pretty deep as it is! It is also massively heavier and more uncomfortable on the wrist than a Sub. So why would someone buy that one? I have to imagine the vast majority are buying it simply because it costs more money than a Sub. 

A super car, even if I am not driving it to its full potential, is still much more fun to drive to the grocery store than a minivan.  

Are most guys using the GMT or chrono features on Daytonas? No, but they don’t add bulk and they come with more complicated movements. I guess the tech going into these watches is pretty cool, but in my mind the selling point here is that it is a huge watch that everyone knows you paid more money for than a Sub and somehow that is a good thing. Bad selling point for what should be a tool watch. Like driving an expensive tank around town and now it takes you longer to get to the grocery store. All about the bling. I am hardly a Rolex purist but a tool watch with a helium valve in gold is a stretch. 

I agree too the Milgauss and a watch meant to operate in space are not for everyone. I’d say it applies here too. Hey, if you have the money and you’re a big baller, and think it looks good! Wear what you like. 

• Like 2

To be fair, what percentage of steel Deepsea’s go to any real depth? I get that gold is an oxymoron for a deep depth dive watch but I don’t think Rolex is playing to the utilitarian crowd anymore across the board.

And for the record I have a submariner that goes everywhere with me and is beat to shit. Just the way I like it.

Oh, box? Papers? Yeah I chucked those long ago. I have zero concern with resale and I won’t go that route.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chasy said:

To be fair, what percentage of steel Deepsea’s go to any real depth? I get that gold is an oxymoron for a deep depth dive watch but I don’t think Rolex is playing to the utilitarian crowd anymore across the board.

I agree, this isn’t new. Just the most blatant move yet! 

1 minute ago, El Hoze said:

I agree, this isn’t new. Just the most blatant move yet! 

Agreed. It’s undeniable. But there are watches in Rolex’s current catalog that I would draft after this one. (Did someone say Skydweller…?)

11 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

That is a fair point. What I would say is a Submariner works the same as a Seadweller to 1K feet according to Rolex. That’s pretty deep as it is! It is also massively heavier and more uncomfortable on the wrist than a Sub. So why would someone buy that one? I have to imagine the vast majority are buying it simply because it costs more money than a Sub. 

A super car, even if I am not driving it to its full potential, is still much more fun to drive to the grocery store than a minivan.  

Are most guys using the GMT or chrono features on Daytonas? No, but they don’t add bulk and they come with more complicated movements. I guess the tech going into these watches is pretty cool, but in my mind the selling point here is that it is a huge watch that everyone knows you paid more money for than a Sub and somehow that is a good thing. Bad selling point for what should be a tool watch. Like driving an expensive tank around town and now it takes you longer to get to the grocery store. All about the bling. I am hardly a Rolex purist but a tool watch with a helium valve in gold is a stretch. 

I agree too the Milgauss and a watch meant to operate in space are not for everyone. I’d say it applies here too. Hey, if you have the money and you’re a big baller, and think it looks good! Wear what you like. 

At 322 grams it is the heaviest Rolex by far. The Platinum Daytona was the heaviest, weighing in at 280 grams. There will definitely be wrist fatigue with a 3/4 pound solid gold watch. My gold Sub is 228 grams.