Let's talk about watches...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

12 hours ago, jonahs_whale said:
Recently got a new watch box to display the rotation. 1 slot for wife's watch, the rest for me haha

Very nice. Is that a Portugieser in the far corner? Excellent collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

What's the view on here regarding watch winders? I noticed the last two posts concerning rotation have the watches static?

I have a four watch winder. It makes noise so I don’t use it in my bedroom - which means I don’t really use it much if at all. Now that I have a true dedicated home office, perhaps I’ll start using the automatic winder again housed there.

50 minutes ago, Pigpen said:
What's the view on here regarding watch winders? I noticed the last two posts concerning rotation have the watches static?

Used watch winders for years, must have if you have an annual or even more so for a perpetual calendar.

• Like 1

Agree with the above. I'd say watch winders are unnecessary for most people because the process of setting and winding up a watch is pretty negligible imo. Once you get into more complications that revolve around setting date and calendar or maybe even GMT it can start to get a little annoying and then worth having the winder.

2 hours ago, jonahs_whale said:

Agree with the above. I'd say watch winders are unnecessary for most people because the process of setting and winding up a watch is pretty negligible imo. Once you get into more complications that revolve around setting date and calendar or maybe even GMT it can start to get a little annoying and then worth having the winder.

We have a nine watch winder and find it convenient. Only need to adjust the minute hand a little unless it's a non 31 day month. The GMT setting should not need adjusting unless changing the time zone or you're way off and want to set the date first.

Definitely agree that a winder is more convenient but I would say it's not necessary especially if you don't have a ton of complications which most people don't. I'm very happy with my simple 8 watch case. I have a Wolf winder as well and honestly it seems a bit overkill. I do aspire to own a perpetual calendar and make good use of it at some point. 

My favorite watch from the 80s, when I was a kid, was similar to this Transformers robot watch.  It was the bomb!  :cap:  Anyone else own one of these?

vintage-1980s-tech-fone-robot-watch_1_49040c9493263b2b858ae959c0f73a55.webp.7d50c04779c9727135ed2d26f1784946.webp

5394bf9a404e2a9354138a5c7013752b-1.webp.7d266ccd0a6f75efdc2f4a8b316a0f6f.webp

I have a four watch winder. It makes noise so I don’t use it in my bedroom - which means I don’t really use it much if at all. Now that I have a true dedicated home office, perhaps I’ll start using the automatic winder again housed there.

Agree that having it in the bedroom isn’t ideal. I have mine in my dedicated home office.

We have a nine watch winder and find it convenient. Only need to adjust the minute hand a little unless it's a non 31 day month. The GMT setting should not need adjusting unless changing the time zone or you're way off and want to set the date first.

Agree only having to make a small adjustment to the minute hand is nice. I appreciate my jumping hour hand GMT on the months with less than 31 days.

7 hours ago, ctsigler317 said:

My favorite watch from the 80s, when I was a kid, was similar to this Transformers robot watch.  It was the bomb!  :cap:  Anyone else own one of these?

5394bf9a404e2a9354138a5c7013752b-1.webp.7d266ccd0a6f75efdc2f4a8b316a0f6f.webp

Yep, I had a red one. Probably still in a drawer or box somewhere in the warehouse.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a divers watch with a rubber band that could use an update. 20mm lug, 18mm clasp (butterfly with manufacturer marks). Any suggestions here on replacement bands to look at/stay away from. OEM is over $200 so those are out. OEM is straight at the pins, so not sure if the curved ones will work (no, not a Rolex😂). 
lots of no name stuff from chiner that would seem hit or miss. Also seems the same stuff is sold under a bunch of banners for a wide price range. Not looking for least expensive but would definitely like to stay south of 75 for a quality waterproof band (swimming not scuba)
A week or two until it arrives from Japan so I’m looking around now for replacements perhaps to have one on hand or I can certainly wait. 
TIA - it seems watches and stogies often go hand in hand so I thought I’d ask here. 

8 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Picked up a divers watch with a rubber band that could use an update. 20mm lug, 18mm clasp (butterfly with manufacturer marks). Any suggestions here on replacement bands to look at/stay away from. OEM is over $200 so those are out. OEM is straight at the pins, so not sure if the curved ones will work (no, not a Rolex😂). 
lots of no name stuff from chiner that would seem hit or miss. Also seems the same stuff is sold under a bunch of banners for a wide price range. Not looking for least expensive but would definitely like to stay south of 75 for a quality waterproof band (swimming not scuba)
A week or two until it arrives from Japan so I’m looking around now for replacements perhaps to have one on hand or I can certainly wait. 
TIA - it seems watches and stogies often go hand in hand so I thought I’d ask here. 

Would help to see the watch for more targeted suggestions.

8 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

Pins are too close for the NATO bands unfortunately. 
Really curious if there is much of a difference in quality between any of the brands or is an FKM band an FKM band?

FKM is not a proprietary band.It is an abbreviation for Fluorine Kautschuk Material, the material the band is made from is a fluorocarbon based fluoroelastomer.... in other words, a fancy rubber. It is a great material for watch bands as it is resistant to fading and degradation, especially when in long contact with skin oils and frequent exposure to sunlight.

When you say the pins are too close for a NATO strap, do you mean the pins are too close to the watch body, leaving little room for the strap to pass between?

8 hours ago, Fuzz said:

FKM is not a proprietary band.It is an abbreviation for Fluorine Kautschuk Material, the material the band is made from is a fluorocarbon based fluoroelastomer.... in other words, a fancy rubber. It is a great material for watch bands as it is resistant to fading and degradation, especially when in long contact with skin oils and frequent exposure to sunlight.

When you say the pins are too close for a NATO strap, do you mean the pins are too close to the watch body, leaving little room for the strap to pass between?

Correct. Reading up on some of the watch forums, NATO bands are very difficult to manage on that case - very bulky. 

Thanks so much for those examples. Kinda spot on. I’ll be ordering that yellow trimmed band. 

Holding or putting in my order as I’m also giving some thought to adding one of their sailcloth bands. Curious though how long they stay wet after a swim. 

Really appreciate the input

• Like 1

Try Perlon instead then. Thinner than NATO straps. But make sure you get a good quality one, lots of crap out there.

Sailcloth straps dry fairly quickly, but don't put them out in the sun to dry. Some people say they get tacky if they dry like that. Just squeeze the strap with a towel to get out excess moisture and lay the watch out flat.