Let's talk about watches...

15 hours ago, mrmessy said:

i just don't get the premium prices for the gmtII stainless and the submariner stainless.  i would like to get one, but getting on a waitlist seems to be a lottery that takes a year....anyone have better luck without being a VIP buyer at a retailer?  

on another note, i noticed that a few of my friends that are into horology, have stopped wearing their mechanical pieces and gravitated towards the apple watch.  will the digital ones take the place of the mechanical? 

We had a good relationship with our local jeweler (they made my wife's rings and my ring) went on their list for my sub, and once we were "ready" they hemmed and hawed a bit.  We went on several other lists, but then our AD came through after about 2 months.  Ironically, on our honeymoon in Israel I saw my exact sub in the case at the Waldorf in Jerusalem we stayed at.  So if you want to fly to Israel there's at least one to be had? lol.  I was willing to wait, and even wait past the day (it's her wedding gift to me), so I didn't care, but if you're willing to be flexible and keep an eye on rolexforums you can probably see where things come in.  I've seen way more of the gold daytonas in my travels the last year or so than subs, but I have seen bluesy's, and I haven't seen gmt in the wild in a while now - years.

I have an iPhone, but personally hate how the apple watch looks.  I wore a fitbit for awhile, but rotated back to mechanicals.  To me they are different things for different places, but I think many these days (I'm in my 40's) don't have a problem dressing up with an apple watch (personally not my thing) and don't see the point in spending thousands on a mechanical watch.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lange 1 in rose gold. Took a little while to arrive.

The only priceless watch in my collection. My Mom told me if I graduated college w a 4.0 GPA she would buy me whatever watch I wanted for graduation. It proved to be good motivation and my Dad almost

New early 40th birthday gift for myself. Omega Seamaster Diver 300  

48 minutes ago, aphexafx said:

My old 2254.50.  I really wish I'd kept it.

I wish you did! Looks very nice :) Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

What are y'all's preferred online retailers for watches these days?  It's a sea of shops online, and hard to sort the good from the bad.  I'm asking about retailers/grey marketers, not private sellers.  Is there an FOH of the watchworld?

I use Chrono24 app exclusively. It’s amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 11:32 PM, smokum said:

My old Breitling Aerospace group purchased bynthe crew of AF1. 24 of 32 made. My son thinks watches are dumb.

07B0ABBE-9075-468E-A9BE-257E871A4F83.jpeg

C4EC5256-FC7F-4F38-B91C-21712798BAE4.jpeg

If you ever want to sell it, let me know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frozen North said:

Here is my 50th anniversary Sub. It has only been worn 6 or 7 times.

F8EF720A-ED26-4567-918E-2F83BC045054.jpeg

Do you realize mint condition ones like yours are fetching over 20K USD ?? Especially with flat "4" bezels. What letter does the serial number start with? Is it an "F" or "Y"?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Just picked this beauty up...?

20190228_182547.jpg

Sledgehammer material. Give it an honorable death.?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Do you realize mint condition ones like yours are fetching over 20K USD ?? Especially with flat "4" bezels. What letter does the serial number start with? Is it an "F" or "Y"?

I’m pretty sure it’s an F. I’ll check tomorrow. Yes, I still have everything it came with as well. Not a mark on it anywhere.

7 hours ago, Frozen North said:

Not sure what The Kermit is?

WIS nickname for the 50th anniversary Submariner 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NYgarman said:

Are you serious???? Last time I checked they were only up to $15k-$17k. And that was not that long ago at all

31 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Are you serious???? Last time I checked they were only up to $15k-$17k. And that was not that long ago at all

Yes. The early ones that are mint or unworn safe queens are fetching big $$. I am a long time member of the Rolex Forums site.  This is mine....Gold!

sub2.jpg

19 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Yes. The early ones that are mint or unworn safe queens are fetching big $$. I am a long time member of the Rolex Forums site.  This is mine....Gold!

sub2.jpg

Beautiful. I love it. I'm also a member of those forums. Bought and sold a few there. Keep regretting every watch I sell, so I'll re-buy it hahaha

What did they retail for? $6k? lol

I want a WG Bluesy! Maybe in 20 years 

31 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Beautiful. I love it. I'm also a member of those forums. Bought and sold a few there. Keep regretting every watch I sell, so I'll re-buy it hahaha

What did they retail for? $6k? lol

I want a WG Bluesy! Maybe in 20 years 

The Kermit retailed for somewhere between 5-6k back in 2003 I believe. I should have bought one, but I had a TT Sub bought in 1997 and loved it. Wore it every day for almost 20 years. The white gold Sub is nice, but I opted for YG, as I wanted a gold watch in its natural color. 

17 hours ago, NYgarman said:

It is for sure an “F” 

• JohnS changed the title to Let's talk about watches...