Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

Not sure what this will mean for the UK, undoubtedly this will be a day of mourning in the Commonwealth and UK.

https://www.cnn.com/uk/live-news/queen-elizabeth-health-concerns-intl-gbr/index.html

BREAKING: Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces

From CNN's Rob Picheta in London

(Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

(Sean Gallup/Getty Images)

Queen Elizabeth II, the longest-reigning British monarch whose rule spanned seven decades, died on Thursday at the age of 96, Buckingham Palace has announced.

Elizabeth ascended to the throne in 1952, on the death of her father, King George VI. She oversaw the last throes of the British empire, weathered global upheaval and domestic scandal, and dramatically modernized the monarchy.

She died at Balmoral Castle in Scotland after doctors said they had become concerned about her health on Thursday.

Elizabeth ruled over the United Kingdom and 14 other Commonwealth realms, and became one of the most recognizable women ever to have lived. Her son, Charles, immediately became King upon her death.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an unabashed Monarchist clearly in the minority here, I will only register my immense grief and sadness at Her Majesty's passing, and profess my great hope that our new King exceeds all of our wild

I'm not fond of the Monarchy in anyway shape or form.  But she pitched in during the Blitz, and largely has not put a foot wrong.     She understood what the British public wanted from a Royal.   Be s

those keen to redistribute the wealth, wondering if you have thought about how this would work? say we offload the art and a few of the estates. who is buying this stuff? you really want russian oliga

13 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

She was queen when Winston Churchill was PM. Let that sink in for a sec...

Maybe they can use this opportunity to abolish the crown and stop giving millions to these parasites.

No offense to her. May she rest in peace.

Certainly there are better uses for all that tax money. How about helping those truly in need? Lavish palaces, priceless jewels, gold pianos, c'mon now!

• Like 1

Close one for Charles waiting to be King. Good odds she could have out lived him. She was a great lady and I am saddened by her passing . Been a constant presence in the world I know and on the throne before I was born. R.I.P.  

1 minute ago, helix said:

Close one for Charles waitng to be King. Good odds she could have out lived him. 

Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown........Charles has always been very opinionated, and an activist in many ways..... from today on, he has the challenge of zipping his lips.  If I had to guess....he would have much preferred to let the crown go direct to William. 

2 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Certainly there are better uses for all that tax money. How about helping those truly in need? Lavish palaces, priceless jewels, gold pianos, c'mon now!

with respect, this is shortsighted. the crown brings an extraordinary amount into the coffers. anyone visiting london to take photos of charles and family in a nice three room flat at battersea with a guard out the front? sure, it would be hard to argue that they have the balance absolutely right but it could be far worse. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

before dubbing them all parasites, consider the role they play in the stable govt of the UK and as far as millions to parasites go, how many billions have they brought into the economy through tourism etc. far outweighs what they get 

I highly doubt anyone is visiting the UK for that sole purpose. When I was there, I visited Buckingham, sure. But it was not a pilgrimage to see a royal. It was to visit a world class city. 

As far as stability of government. I'm wasnt really sure what you meant. So I did some googling. I can see your point, but I still stand by my comment like a good stubborn curmudgeon.

The Queen is dead, long live the King!

I am neither a Monarchist or a staunch Republican. I just want a stable Government that does right by the people. Liz has been a rock of stability for the UK and has pretty much done right by the people for her long reign as monarch.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i understand where you are coming from if one looks at all this dispassionately but the world is hardly sane. there are an incredible number of people besotted with the queen and everything that goes with the crown. not to say that they are the only reason for many visiting but i have no doubt that it is a determining reason for a great many. the queen has been not far short of a tangible god to millions around the world. visiting britain to experience things royal is a very small step. millions do make that pilgrimage. 

hell, if i can go to freehold/asbury park/stone pony etc, you think millions won't do the royal thing? people are strange. i had a mate who insisted on going to bangor maine, because that was where stephen king apparently lived. sure, saw plenty of other things but that was his number one reason.

i would confidently bet everything i own that a great many people head to the UK because of the crown. the rest follows. but in a sense, that is partly supporting what i am saying. money follows into whatever the rest is. but no queen/king/crown and none of this happens. 

Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne are relocating back there. Perhaps a bigger reason to visit now. Apparently they have had enough of the people's republik of Kalifornia, LOL. Ozzy and the boys in Sabbath actually created a whole new genre of music back in 1970. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 99call said:

I'm not fond of the Monarchy in anyway shape or form.  But she pitched in during the Blitz, and largely has not put a foot wrong.     She understood what the British public wanted from a Royal.   Be stoic, Be thankful, Be demure, Be private, and largely keep your opinions to yourself.   She got that.   As much a somebody sat in a palace could be, she was a great public servant. 

I think she can be proud of what she achieved. 

Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 18.54.07.jpg

Well said. She had quite a run. 

Aweful news despite the knowledge this day would come. I wake up in Japan to a very somber day. She had a good innings and will be missed, hopefully Charles can pull it together. 

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Valued at £67 Billion, the Monarchy is Britain’s Greatest Treasure  Brand Finance estimates the capital value of the UK Monarchy as a business at £67.5bn  Monarchy’s annual contribution to the UK economy in 2017 is £1.766bn  Annual cost per head is less than £4.50 a year, equal to just over 1p a day

When we break down taxe allocation for something, per head, everything seems fairly cheap. 4.50 every person is a huge amount going to one family. Considering how rich they are and how much they spend abroad, I just don't get it.