What CCs do y'all smoke young?

3 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I could give personal preferences, but in general I concur exactly with this statement.

I also concur with what @Bri Fi says. In general, after 60-90 days of rest and acclimatization to my storage conditions, everything I’ve smoked young from 2019 onwards has been good.

No doubt, a few years of aging does improve certain Marca. But for many cigars, the difference is not significant enough for me to wait more than 2 to 3 years for those Marca and vitola for which the flavour profile is improved by aging. 

• Like 3

I've smoked (at least) one cigar from each box I've got and found them all to be perfectly smokeable and enjoyable. I'd concur with others and say that Cohiba does benefit from time down. @torsion and I concurred that the recent aged Siglo III available on 24:24 was just sublime and much better than the 2021 production of Siglo III.

I got a cab of 50 Hoyo DC from 2020 (or 2021 I can't remember) and it is a dream. Do I want it to change? Frankly, not really.

I like what Rob says about 'mongrel' in the cigars, it's a character I really like. So when I pick up a Mag 46, Party 898 etc. I really want to get kicked around the room a bit - I value that in a cigar. I've had some older examples of BBF, Mag 46 etc. and I mostly prefer the more recent production smoking young. Each to their own I guess.

• Like 4

Honestly, more important than young or aged, is your storage. Recent production is really good and “young” cigars really just need to acclimate to the proper smoking conditions. It’s the moisture that contributes to bad taste, poor burns, etc. Get that moisture down, and get them acclimated, and for the most part you’ll be good to go. Some cigars do change over time like PLPC and PLMC for example. Better? That’s subjective. But they do change for sure. But most regular production these days will be good to go

17 hours ago, stevenhaugen said:
I've smoked (at least) one cigar from each box I've got and found them all to be perfectly smokeable and enjoyable. I'd concur with others and say that Cohiba does benefit from time down. [mention=21506]torsion[/mention] and I concurred that the recent aged Siglo III available on 24:24 was just sublime and much better than the 2021 production of Siglo III.
I got a cab of 50 Hoyo DC from 2020 (or 2021 I can't remember) and it is a dream. Do I want it to change? Frankly, not really.
I like what Rob says about 'mongrel' in the cigars, it's a character I really like. So when I pick up a Mag 46, Party 898 etc. I really want to get kicked around the room a bit - I value that in a cigar. I've had some older examples of BBF, Mag 46 etc. and I mostly prefer the more recent production smoking young. Each to their own I guess.

I scooped up a pack of those Sig III from 2017 as well. They look great, smell great, they are currently getting acquainted with the rest of their cousins in my humidor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 9/4/2022 at 5:27 PM, rcarlson said:

All Montes.  

This surprises me.  I probably smoke more Monte #4's than any other cigar, and I have found that they tend to be much improved with 3 or 4 years of age on them.  I still smoke them young, but I definitely prefer them with some age.  I assumed this would apply to the other Monte vitolas as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rcarlson said:

I just find that Montes peak 1-3, with nothing magic occurring after that.  In fact, they tend to flatten out IMO.  

Yeah I agree 100% here

I will say the last couple years, pretty much everything is pretty darned good after the initial rest.  Aging is not as important as it used to be.  

• Like 3

Pretty much all are pretty good young these days.  But Montecristo, Bolivar, RA, JL have been standouts last couple years after the initial rest is given.  HDMs and Upmanns (with the exception of Mag 46 and Epi 2) still need a bit of down time, but not like they used to.  

I have zero science to back this up, just my own small sample size, but going thru my 20s and 21s the big jump seems to happen at 1 year now.  Where before I felt the 3 year mark was kinda the safe/gold standard.  To me 1 year is the new 3 year.  At same time my 16/17/18s haven’t really progressed much more the last couple years, if at all.  Don’t know, could just be what I’m smoking, and obviously impossible to know what 20s and 21s with 3 years on them will be like, maybe they’ll be outrageous.  Curious if others see the same.  

• Like 2